View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/27/11
Send PM

Question on Analog Dial Inputs
#388880 - 12/02/20 05:09 AM

Certain dial racing games feel very unresponsive to me almost as if there is a deadzone on the wheel. If you spin slowly, nothing happens but once you hit a certain speed it will start responding. I thought that might just be how they were originally programmed but I've noticed that the inputs also respond differently in the MAME menus.

Two examples are Wheels Runner and Rough Racer. Below is a screenshot of the Dial slider under analog controls in Super Sprint. I can move up and down easily along this bar and when I stop moving it remains there. I cannot get the Dial bar to do this in wheelrun or roughrac. If I spin hard, it will slightly move away from the left edge but immediately return to the edge. I tried Rough Racer on 0.161 and even though the bar isn't in the MAME menu, I can tell within the games test menu that it's much more responsive no matter how low I set sensitivity. It's noticeably better during gameplay.

I have a MAME Testers report on wheelrun but am now thinking that the issue is more widespread. I have a comparison video in that report. I'm curious if anyone has any input or guidance on this.

View my gameplay videos:
Light Gun Games with Aimtrak
Trackball Games with X-Arcade Trackball
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer with Dual Throttle Controls

Moochieone
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/25/19
Loc: Virginia
Send PM

Re: Question on Analog Dial Inputs new [Re: DarthMarino]
#388882 - 12/02/20 06:14 AM

It goes without saying, but have you gone into the MAME controls menu (which is not the in-game settings but is accessed by default TAB key), and adjust analog sensitivity?

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question on Analog Dial Inputs new [Re: Moochieone]
#388883 - 12/02/20 06:46 AM

> It goes without saying, but have you gone into the MAME controls menu (which is not
> the in-game settings but is accessed by default TAB key), and adjust analog
> sensitivity?

Yes. If I have it on the lowest setting it doesn't really move the slider at all. The higher I move the sensitivity the more I can slightly move it before it snaps back. Even on the highest setting (255) it will move a few pixels and go back to the left immediately.

View my gameplay videos:

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

#388885 - 12/02/20 10:12 AM

Are you by change using the Tron spinner from Glen's Retro Show Kickstarter for the Star Wars yoke?

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question on Analog Dial Inputs new [Re: sirscotty]
#388886 - 12/02/20 02:19 PM

> Are you by change using the Tron spinner from Glen's Retro Show Kickstarter for the
> Star Wars yoke?

I am using a GRS USB Button Hole Spinner but I get the same results with my regular mouse and the Turbo Twist 2.

View my gameplay videos:

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#388894 - 12/03/20 03:25 PM

> Two examples are Wheels Runner and Rough Racer. Below is a screenshot of the Dial
> slider under analog controls in Super Sprint. I can move up and down easily along
> this bar and when I stop moving it remains there. I cannot get the Dial bar to do
> this in wheelrun or roughrac. If I spin hard, it will slightly move away from the
> left edge but immediately return to the edge. I tried Rough Racer on 0.161 and even
> though the bar isn't in the MAME menu, I can tell within the games test menu that
> it's much more responsive no matter how low I set sensitivity. It's noticeably better
> during gameplay.

That’s because those games have PORT_RESET on the dial inputs, so the count only shows the delta for the current frame. The bar for those games effectively shows the current speed you’re currently spinning the wheel at.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question on Analog Dial Inputs new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#388895 - 12/03/20 03:35 PM

Thank you for the info. Could the port reset be the cause for the issue I am describing? I submitted my report yesterday and found that in 0.189 and earlier, Rough Racer is responsive in both directions. It plays great in game and the test menus show the inputs functioning correctly. In 0.190 and 0.191, it is responsive in only one direction. Since 0.192, both directions have what I am calling a deadzone. You have to spin at a certain speed for the game to even pick up that you are moving. I don't know what the real turn count is but setting the sensitivity to 6 feels perfect on my wheel so it's not just a case of turning the sensitivity way up.

View my gameplay videos:

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 147 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 509