MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

anyone in N. America region remember these candy bars?
#388563 - 11/13/20 04:40 AM

Older generation might remember these. Nestle Choco'lite and Mars Summit

Two of the best tasting candy bars that were eventually discontinued by early 1980s.
The closest these days would be Nestle Yorkie and Cadbury (both made by Cadbury).

--
Nestle Choco'lite candy bar commercial - 1975

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86F-pt2e0_A

Summit Candy Bar Commercial - 1979

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bms4Fa17KpI

Summit Candy Bar Teens "Gimmie A Break" Commercial - 1981

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1pV0nBXkFE

SecretAgentMan
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Illinois (Central)
Send PM

Re: anyone in N. America region remember these candy bars? new [Re: gregf]
#388565 - 11/13/20 10:47 AM

I remember them and I thought that the Choco'lite bar was pretty good.

"Go crazy, folks! Go crazy!"

Jack Buck

cyberdman
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/04/06
Send PM

#388567 - 11/13/20 10:11 PM

Man I forgot about the Summit bar. It was like a larger separated KitKat bar with peanuts on the top. I always remembered (and quoted) those commercials, but forgot what they were actually for. "Homework, homework! Gimme a break!" Funny now that "Give me a break!" is the KitKat slogan. LOL

cyberdman

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: anyone in N. America region remember these candy bars? new [Re: SecretAgentMan]
#388645 - 11/17/20 11:02 AM

>I remember them and I thought that the Choco'lite bar was pretty good.

Back at the time [in 1970s], I liked the Chunkys solid chocolate, but that was dropped by
in late 1970s iirc. The closest candy bar to Chocolite is UK's Nestle Aero candy bar, but it isn't as good imo. iirc I liked Chocolite because the taste seemed to have a light malted barley ingredient that somewhat reminded me of the chocolate Ovaltine drink mixture, but it wasn't overwhelming compared to Ovaltine.

I don't recall getting any Nestle Choco'lite because I wasn't sure of the taste. The boy in the tv commercial in 1975 is my cousin [on maternal side of the family tree lineage]. Within a day or two after the commercial was filmed in early July 1975 and finished, the boy, his mother [my aunt], and his younger brother drove to Yosemite National Park and met up with my family and cousin from other side of family tree. Supposedly Nestle reps were at tv commercial filming and provided free cases of Chocolite candy bars to many of the staff involved with tv commercial including my cousin. iirc each of those cardboard container cases held up to 500 candy bars as what my cousin had mentioned. Of the case that my cousin brought, he brought close to 300 candy bars of Chocolite to Yosemite. So.....while camping in upper elevation of Yosemite [near Tuolome Meadows area, inside Porcupine Flats campground] everyone in the camp got overstuffed on Chocolite candy bars over the 7 or 8 days while there camping.

-
Nestle Choco'lite candy bar commercial - 1975

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86F-pt2e0_A
-

Going back to past posts mentioning the Knott's Berry Farm's Buffalo Nickel arcade hijinx in late 1970s with relatives and the mention of all the Nintendo WG cabs that used to be in Buffalo Nickel, the boy [cousin] in Chocolite commercial and his younger brother were those relatives with me when going to Knotts in late 1970s. A smorgasbord of mischevious memories while in Buffalo Nickel arcade in those 1970s era summer days.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: anyone in N. America region remember these candy bars? new [Re: cyberdman]
#388646 - 11/17/20 11:10 AM

>I forgot about the Summit bar.

I forgot that it was a Mars product. While in junior high school years from 1977 to 1980, those would be on sale along with other candy and soda drinks at the student store. I would buy a Summit bar about every third day at the student store on junior high school grounds.

I don't recall seeing any Summit candy bars for sale at places in soCal region by around early 1980. Maybe sold in other regions, but at stores I went to at the time of 1980, I don't recall of a specific store I would go to that had Summit candy bars for sale.

PokeMAME
Gotta catch 'em all!
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Send PM

#388682 - 11/19/20 02:50 AM

> > I remember them and I thought that the Choco'lite bar was pretty good.
>
> Back at the time [in 1970s], I liked the Chunkys solid chocolate, but that was
> dropped by
> in late 1970s iirc. The closest candy bar to Chocolite is UK's Nestle Aero candy
> bar, but it isn't as good imo. iirc I liked Chocolite because the taste seemed to
> have a light malted barley ingredient that somewhat reminded me of the chocolate
> Ovaltine drink mixture, but it wasn't overwhelming compared to Ovaltine.
>
>

To me, the Stratos Bar from Norway was like the Choco-Lite Bar!

https://www.google.com/search?ei=YcC1X-j...DCAw&uact=5

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

#388689 - 11/19/20 10:32 PM

My personal favorite extinct candy bar was the Marathon Bar.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

#388693 - 11/20/20 02:58 AM

I remember when Whatchamacallit first came out end of the 70s... it became my favorite candy bar. Then they changed the formula at some point, and now it sucks.

Side topic... here's some other things I miss:

-- Pup n Taco was the only place you could buy a burrito, a hot dog, and a pastrami sandwich at the same place. (Not counting mom/pop greek burger joints, anyway). I always liked their flour tortillas there better than other places.

-- My favorite meal at Taco Bell was an Enchirito, a Bell Beefer, and a Taco Bellgrande, with a side of Cinnamon Crispas.

-- My favorite Jack in the Box limited-time sandwich was the Pastrami Melt; Monster Tacos are superior to regular Tacos in every way; the new "fancier" onion rings just aren't as good as the ones that came before

-- No amount of reformulation can replace the taste of McDonald's fries cooked in lard versus vegetable oil; burgers cooked on a two-sided clamshell grill taste nothing like those cooked on a flat grill, especially where the onion has time to sit on top of the burger on the grill and cook a bit; the discontinuation of McDonaldland Cookies was heartbreaking; nothing has replaced the original fried apple pie... other places carry them today, but they are poor substitues, even the ones carried at the oldest existing Speedee store are a different formula

-- The best burger I had ever tasted when I was a kid... I was 10-12 years old... my mom took me with her to run some errands in downtown Long Beach, to the library and stuff... before we headed back home, we stopped at this burger place inside the Greyhound Bus station... I can't explain it other than it was amazing. Couple years later, the Bus station was closed, and I never had a second chance to have that burger.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

cyberdman
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/04/06
Send PM

Re: anyone in N. America region remember these candy bars? new [Re: Nightvoice]
#388704 - 11/21/20 12:32 AM

Mine too. Those were the best!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evp187KImq4

Apparently they have the Curly Wurly in Europe and is supposed to be the same I guess, but I never got a chance to try one.

cyberdman

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: anyone in N. America region remember these candy bars? new [Re: PokeMAME]
#388756 - 11/23/20 01:28 PM

>> Back at the time [in 1970s], I liked the Chunkys solid chocolate, but that was
>> dropped by
>> in late 1970s iirc. The closest candy bar to Chocolite is UK's Nestle Aero candy
>> bar, but it isn't as good imo. iirc I liked Chocolite because the taste seemed to
>> have a light malted barley ingredient that somewhat reminded me of the chocolate
>> Ovaltine drink mixture, but it wasn't overwhelming compared to Ovaltine.

>To me, the Stratos Bar from Norway was like the Choco-Lite Bar!

Visual-wise it appears the same, but the question is: What about the taste? ;-)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: anyone in N. America region remember these candy bars? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#388757 - 11/23/20 01:53 PM

>Whatchamacallit first came out end of the 70s... it became my favorite candy bar. Then
>they changed the formula at some point, and now it sucks.

That is/was another good candy bar. I don't know if I would be able to recognize the taste difference between old formula ingredients versus new formula of that candy bar.

>-- Pup n Taco was the only place you could buy a burrito, a hot dog, and a pastrami
>sandwich at the same place.

I would go there too, but if getting a hot dog, I still prefer Der wienersnitzel back then when both places were competitors then.

>-- The best burger I had ever tasted when I was a kid... I was 10-12 years old... my mom
>took me with her to run some errands in downtown Long Beach, to the library and stuff...
>before we headed back home, we stopped at this burger place inside the Greyhound Bus
>station... I can't explain it other than it was amazing. Couple years later, the Bus
>station was closed, and I never had a second chance to have that burger.

I couldn't find interior photos of old LB greyhound station. It could have been a simple snack bar inside the old station unless Greyhound actually did lease space for brand name eateries inside the old LB station.

I somewhat remember that downtown station because my sister and I (as kids in 1973 and 1974) would be dropped off there by parents in order to get a bus trip up to Santa Barbara station to stay with relatives for the week (Easter vacation in April 1973 and 1974) while parents would take a vacation break. I don't recall what inside of station was like in early 1970s because my sister and I would be taken immediately to bus to make sure to be on bus as it left the downtown LB station. iirc I was at cousin's house (in Santa Barbara) and was watching LA Dodgers baseball game against Atlanta in April 1973 when Hank Aaron surpassed Babe Ruth's HR record at the time. I wasn't into baseball or team sports in general as a young kid then so I didn't understand why the HR record was significant until a few years later.

For me, I'll counter with great tasting taco place imo was Harts Burgers (I believe it used to be Harts Burger Boys) on NE corner of Carson & Woodruff location (now gone along with many other places there from 1970s) Granted that Harts was primarily a burger joint, their tacos just had a great taste that was somewhat comparable to some of the Mexican cuisine establishments. The tacos were definitely better than Taco Bell for certain. :-)

As for french fries, the best tasting fries ever had to be at a long gone ice skating rink (Glacier Falls Ice Rink) in Anaheim that used to be in Anaheim on Katella Ave just east of Harbor. While sister was taking lessons (1972 to 1974), I would be in waiting area and would go over to snack bar and order french fries there at the counter and walk back over to where parents were seated.

Glacier Falls was @ 211 W. Katella.

Here are some memories by those that used to go to Glacier Falls ice rink

http://www.octhen.com/2007/10/glacier-falls-ice-arena.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=ice+skating+rink+anaheim+ca+1970s

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bd/af/68/bdaf68524eb54605e2356b1e368c788f.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0a/ed/29/0aed2973cc31020d692bf3eff1ec1c10.jpg

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#388827 - 11/29/20 02:38 AM

My favorite Candy Barr:

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

#388843 - 11/30/20 02:00 AM

The summit bar seems like a dead ringer for a long defunct UK choccy treat the peanut Banjo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BylXoQYYWMg

Arcade Addict

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1056