Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

MAME 0.226
#388295 - 10/28/20 02:14 AM

MAME 0.226

You know what day it is? It’s MAME 0.226 day! A lot has happened in this development cycle, and plenty of it is worth getting excited about! First of all, there’s a change that affects all systems with keyboard inputs, including most computers. MAME now allows you to activate and deactivate keyboard and keypad inputs per emulated device in the Keyboard Mode menu. When a system has multiple keyboards (for example a computer with a terminal connected to a serial port), you can choose which keyboard you want to type on rather than effectively typing on all the keyboards at once. If a system has multiple devices with keyboard inputs, MAME will start with only one enabled by default. Sadly, MAME doesn’t have mind-reading capabilities yet, so it may not always choose the keyboard you want to type on. If you find you can’t type on an emulated computer, check that the right keyboard is enabled in the Keyboard Mode menu.

Another batch of layout/artwork system updates are ready this month. More image formats are supported, several long-standing alignment and clipping bugs have been fixed, more parameter animation features are available, and external artwork loads faster. Lots of systems using built-in layouts look prettier, but Cosmo Gang probably shows the biggest improvement in this release (yes, the electromechanical redemption game). Try it out in MAME 0.226, and maybe do a before/after comparison to see how far we’ve come.

Apple II systems have seen some significant development this month. Firstly, a number of issues with demos using raster split effects have been fixed. The Apple II has no hardware support for raster effects, so these demos rely on open bus read behaviour to work out what the video hardware is doing. Getting this to work requires precise emulation of memory access timings. Secondly, two parallel printer cards are now working: Orange Micro’s popular Grappler+ and Apple’s Parallel Interface Card. The Grappler+ is well-supported by Apple II software and provides a better out-of-the-box experience if you want to try one of them.

Sega’s Tranquillizer Gun was a somewhat ambitious title for 1980, but was largely overlooked at the time. It’s finally fully emulated in MAME, with audio emulation and protection simulation being added in this release. We’ve also added support for Must Shoot TV, an unreleased prototype developed at Incredible Technologies. Step into the shoes of disgruntled ITS Cable employee Chuck and go on a rampage!

Far more has been added this month than we can cover in detail here, like another batch of TV games (including several Vs Maxx titles), support for Mattel Aquarius CAQ format cassette images, and working Sega Mega Play games. You can read all the updates in the whatsnew.txt file, or get the source and 64-bit Windows binary packages from the download page.

Read the rest of this entry »

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: MAME 0.226 new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#388308 - 10/28/20 09:23 PM

> MAME 0.226
>
> You know what day it is? It’s MAME 0.226 day! A lot has happened in this development
> cycle, and plenty of it is worth getting excited about!

Great release, as always.

I'm a bit surprised, though, that no one has commented here yet, besides me.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: MAME 0.226 new [Re: Master O]
#388315 - 10/29/20 12:34 AM

>I'm a bit surprised, though, that no one has commented here yet, besides me.

If no other 'thanks' comments roll in another couple days, it would be a disappointment.

For those in soCal area, if it isn't wildfire ongoings related, then the excuse is celebrating Dodgers MLB World Series win even though it may still get that 'shortened season asterisk' like the 1981 season.

My thanks as well for ongoing improvements for this release and the netlist updates including my specific thanks for full Gremlin's Frogs analog audio to finally happen.
Another reason of why really needing to upgrade to a better computer than simply trying to keep extremely old Sony Vaio 2003 WinXP computer scotched taped and duct taped together as best possible.

--
vicdual: Add frogs netlist. Make sound board interface more general
2020-10-07

-vicdual: Add frogs netlist. Make sound board interface more general. [Aaron Giles]

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/4fb2dfeb6926f8c8a244915cfafde799e4495bc5

brdrline: Add frontiers, reduce timestep to improve performance
2020-10-09

- 7332: audio/vicdual.cpp: Improved Borderline sound trigger assignments. [beta-tester]

-brdrline: sound improvements (#7332) [beta-tester]
* cleaned some parts of nl_brdrline.cpp (removed test points)
* changed MB4391 function to pow2 to shorten sounds a bit
* changed trigger inputs in vicdual.cpp to fit more to the sounds i remember.
* moved trigger mapping from vicdual to nl_brdrline

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/1bc64213f063503911b8de3a6e727fe68d6b6041

- 7328: Added netlist-based sound emulation to Borderline and clones. [beta-tester, Aaron Giles]

Hook up Borderline netlist, provided by 'beta-tester' (#7328) [beta-tester]
2020-10-05

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/db3a24507f119e9a4f76188f46941a89f0e6992f

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YlzIhQmXHw

Borderline (c)1981 Sega (netlist audio support)
Oct 6, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31i0OEtwz9s

Tranquillizer Gun (c)1980 Sega (netlist audio + protection handling fix)
Oct 25, 2020

Jason
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: PA
Send PM

#388318 - 10/29/20 02:26 AM

Tranquilizer sound, 005/netlist sound, netlist work, country region clones added (Ray Crisis, etc.) ... these are just a few of the wonderful things I enjoy reading about and seeing added. I've been following MAME since 1999 and it's always good to see older games getting some love.

It's also always good to see Aaron Giles continue to work on MAME - THANK YOU Aaron

Thank you to ALL involved in the continued work with MAME and thanks to Vas for coordinating the releases every month.

Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/09/16
Send PM

#388331 - 10/29/20 06:24 PM

Thanks to all involved. Seems it's the golden age for mame, with a lot of people contributing and lot of fixes and systems added.

RETRODANUART.COM

Droid
from the Void
Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Netherlands
Send PM

#388332 - 10/29/20 08:37 PM

Solid release once again.

Thanks to everyone for making MAME possible!

remax
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/12
Send PM

Re: MAME 0.226 new [Re: Droid]
#388887 - 12/02/20 02:58 PM

Big thanks for this release

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 202 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1347