MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

What other games used the old frogger style cabinet?
#388250 - 10/21/20 07:50 PM

So I'm updating my old mame arcade cabinet and its an old frogger style with the vinyl wood grain sides and my son was picking on me about the style of it and 80's wood grain fashion.

He asked me if that was popular back in the day and I remember alot of games using this cabinet but do to my old age I couldn't name any of them!! So could some of you help an old man out and name some?

It would be greatly appreciated !!

I tried my google foo but it just shows a bunch of retro'd frogger cabs and frogger games. Thanks !!

Only here to annoy...

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: What other games used the old frogger style cabinet? new [Re: Renegade]
#388255 - 10/22/20 08:55 PM

I would say start with the company that made the game (in this case probably Atari or Konami). Then google image search something like 'wood grain atari cabinet' The anesthetic was fairly common then especially in the generic cabs that would be switched out for other games, that or glossy black. Much more common was a full vinyl sticker cover. Think they even at one point sold them as kits (for conversions). If memory serves the table tops usually had the wood grain as they were supposed to double as a cocktail table.

PokeMAME
Gotta catch 'em all!
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Send PM

#388256 - 10/22/20 11:09 PM

My cabaret Pac Man and my cocktail Galaxian are both woodgrain.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#388257 - 10/23/20 01:11 AM

> So I'm updating my old mame arcade cabinet and its an old frogger style with the
> vinyl wood grain sides and my son was picking on me about the style of it and 80's
> wood grain fashion.
>
> He asked me if that was popular back in the day and I remember alot of games using
> this cabinet but do to my old age I couldn't name any of them!! So could some of you
> help an old man out and name some?
>
>
> It would be greatly appreciated !!
>
> I tried my google foo but it just shows a bunch of retro'd frogger cabs and frogger
> games. Thanks !!

Sega Gremlin games: Carnival, Frogger, Space Firebird, Astro Fighter, Moon Cresta, Pulsar

And then the vector games in the "more upright" cabinet, but still wood grain: Space Fury, Tac Scan, Zektor

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Send PM

Re: What other games used the old frogger style cabinet? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#388271 - 10/26/20 01:50 AM

Thanks Mr.do! I remember a couple on that list !!

Only here to annoy...

jibmums
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/24/09
Send PM

Re: What other games used the old frogger style cabinet? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#388279 - 10/26/20 06:00 PM

Space Fury, Tac Scan, and Zektor used the Sega "Convert-A-Game" cabinet, mostly woodgrain but quite different from the Frogger cabinet. I've done a lot of research into these for my 3dArcade models and here's the list I came up with, which is as complete as I could make it:

FROGGER-style Sega/Gremlin cabinets:
Astro Blaster
Astro Fighter
Blasto
Blockade
Carnival
Deep Scan
Depthcharge
Digger
Dual (two games in the same cab, several versions of this were made)
Frogger
Head-On
Head-On 2
Hustle
Invinco
Moon Cresta
N-Sub
Pulsar
Space Firebird

CONVERT-A-GAME cabinets:
Congo Bongo
Eliminator
Monster Bash
Space Fury
Star Trek
Super Zaxxon
Tac/Scan
Zaxxon
Zektor

Note also that not all of these were always woodgrained. Sega/Gremlin cabs were often painted white, and Convert-a-Game cabs were occasionally painted brown.

Additionally, the flyer for a Sega/Gremlin game called "005" shows a cabinet very similar to the Convert-a-Game cabs, but with shorter sides for the upper portion.

Edited by jibmums (10/26/20 06:08 PM)

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Send PM

Re: What other games used the old frogger style cabinet? new [Re: jibmums]
#388280 - 10/26/20 07:30 PM

Appreciate the info. Mine has the shorter upper sides also.

Another note is that mine was converted to a pro golf arcade machine when I bought the bare cab from the local arcade supplier.

Still has the marquee in it.

Only here to annoy...

jibmums
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/24/09
Send PM

#388281 - 10/26/20 09:57 PM

Another little tidbit: U.S. Billiards released two games in the early 80's, Piranha and 800 Fathoms, that used a cabinet that was exactly (or almost exactly) like the Frogger-style cabinet. No woodgrain though, they were both painted white.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: What other games used the old frogger style cabinet? new [Re: lharms]
#388943 - 12/06/20 10:20 AM

> The anesthetic was fairly common then especially in the generic cabs that would be
> switched out for other games,

Yes, that's exactly what I was going to say. Generic wood grain cabs were a dime a dozen in arcades. My arcade cab project - which has been sitting at the back of a shed for about 20 years, is just a cheap, generic wood grain cab. Ahhh, maybe one day ...

Moose

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 233 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 465