MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

MAMEbrain889
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/20/20
Send PM

Help in getting Gauntlet Legends to run
#387933 - 09/20/20 03:33 AM

Hello,

I am new to MAME and am having a little difficulty getting Gauntlet Legends to run.

From what I have read, this game is particularly difficult to emulate, it seems.

Anyway, I have the latest version of MAME and I have downloaded the 1.6 version of the ROM. When I try to run the game, though, I get an error message: 322_gauntlet.u37 not found.

I understand that I need CHD files for this game and I believe I have added them to my folders correctly. But perhaps I did not and that is what is causing the problem.

In my ROMs folder, I have the gauntleg.zip file.

In the same ROMs folder, I also have a folder called "gauntleg" and in that folder I have two files - gauntleg.chd and gauntl12.chd

Is this right? Can anyone explain why it is perhaps not working?

Thanks!

Jason
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: PA
Send PM

Re: Help in getting Gauntlet Legends to run new [Re: MAMEbrain889]
#387934 - 09/20/20 03:49 AM

That message means only one thing - MAME can't find the files in the location that it expects them.

Check this:
- In mame\gauntleg:
you only need one CHD in this folder - gauntleg.chd
- in MAME\roms:
make sure you have a compressed file named gauntleg.zip (or gauntleg.7z, etc.)
in gauntleg.zip (or whatever) make sure there are three files:
322_gauntlet.u37
legend15.bin
vegasio.bin

One that setup is completed, the game should boot.

Note that you need a pretty hefty CPU for this game to run at 100%

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#387935 - 09/20/20 06:59 AM

> Hello,
>
> I am new to MAME and am having a little difficulty getting Gauntlet Legends to run.
>
> From what I have read, this game is particularly difficult to emulate, it seems.
>
> Anyway, I have the latest version of MAME and I have downloaded the 1.6 version of
> the ROM. When I try to run the game, though, I get an error message: 322_gauntlet.u37
> not found.
>
> I understand that I need CHD files for this game and I believe I have added them to
> my folders correctly. But perhaps I did not and that is what is causing the problem.
>
> In my ROMs folder, I have the gauntleg.zip file.
>
> In the same ROMs folder, I also have a folder called "gauntleg" and in that folder I
> have two files - gauntleg.chd and gauntl12.chd
>
> Is this right? Can anyone explain why it is perhaps not working?
>
> Thanks!

You seem to be doing everything right. Yet on August this year a new ROM was added that corresponds to a security PIC that was recently decapped and dumped. You have two options now. The recommended option is to find an updated "gauntleg.zip" file that corresponds to current MAME 0.224 version or later. If you fail to locate the file, your second best option is to use MAME 0.223 in the meantime until you get an updated romset with the file you are missing. Good luck!

MAMEbrain889
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Help in getting Gauntlet Legends to run new [Re: Jason]
#387945 - 09/20/20 08:25 PM

Thanks.

In the gauntleg.zip file there is no 322_gauntlet.u37 file.

Would I just have to download different ROMs until I find it, or is there a way to download that file individually and add it?

Jason
Regular
Send PM

#387946 - 09/20/20 09:36 PM

You're almost there.

Yes, you need to find that file and add it to the gauntleg compressed file in your roms directory and you're golden.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

#387947 - 09/20/20 10:32 PM

>
> Note that you need a pretty hefty CPU for this game to run at 100%

And even if you get the visual aspect of it to run at 100% (as I have) the sound will still be studdered and jacked.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Jason
Regular
Send PM

Re: Help in getting Gauntlet Legends to run new [Re: Nightvoice]
#387948 - 09/20/20 11:22 PM

I just played the game for almost 5 minutes. The only time I hear the sound stuttering is when the frame rate dips below 100% (dips to 80% and then stutters very briefly, barely noticeable). When the game is running 100%, it seems to run fine. Maybe I didn't play it long enough to notice any real issues.

That's also why I said that you need a high end computer to play it at a decent speed. I have a pretty decent CPU (3.9ghz) so the game runs okay for me, at least for the 5 minutes or so that I played it.

MAMEbrain889
MAME Fan
Send PM

#387950 - 09/21/20 03:24 AM

Thanks. I couldn't find that file, but I got it to work anyway.

I used MAME .167 with the version 1.6 of the ROM and it runs no problem. My PC is quite beastly, and it can run the game quite smoothly for the most part. There is some slow down when there are tons of monsters on screen, but other than that, it works perfectly.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Roman
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

#387951 - 09/21/20 07:43 AM

but running a 5 years old MAME version is not really an option....especially if you got a modern PC

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 479 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1746