MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

SNK 40th Anniversary - Arcade Artwork contents
#387657 - 08/28/20 11:12 PM

I would like to know if someone here has the SNK 40th anniversary collection. In case someone has, I would like to know if the original arcade artwork for some games, such as Ikari (japan) and P.O.W. are faithfully reproduced.

RaspBear
retrogamer
Reged: 09/12/16
Loc: Italia
Send PM

Re: SNK 40th Anniversary - Arcade Artwork contents new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#387663 - 08/29/20 09:31 AM

I have this collection for PC (steam). It includes a gallery of original artwork; medium res I'd say. When you play games you do NOT get the full original bezels but just some "filling" overlay based on original artwork.
There's some scripts floating around that are supposed to extract the artwork files; haven't tried yet.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: SNK 40th Anniversary - Arcade Artwork contents new [Re: RaspBear]
#387667 - 08/29/20 06:20 PM Attachment: snk40_ikari_portrait.png 6678 KB (5 downloads)

> I have this collection for PC (steam). It includes a gallery of original artwork;
> medium res I'd say. When you play games you do NOT get the full original bezels but
> just some "filling" overlay based on original artwork.
> There's some scripts floating around that are supposed to extract the artwork files;
> haven't tried yet.

Yeah... I've got it all extracted, along with Namco Museum Switch, Atari Flashback, Street Fighter 30th, Kunio Kun, and others... just haven't posted them yet, due to them still being fairly newish (along with that whole "I ain't got time for a lot of stuff" thing going on right now).

SNK has landscape/portrait artwork for each game, and then the game displays specific pieces of artwork, depending on how you choose to display the artwork on screen (sidebar only, full artwork, etc.). And each artwork is split up into four pieces (left, right, top, bottom). There are also some actual scans of JPN cocktail cabinets in there, which is cool.

Was there an actual JPN release of this, though? I thought it was just one version, which released internationally. There are assets of the JPN flyer, and some JPN concept artwork, but nothing I see that shows actual in-game artwork that is different from the US version.

If you've played the PSP versions of some of these games, it's similar to that, just higher-res than the PSP version. Larger than HD, but not quite 4K.

Here's the portrait version for Ikari, if you want to play with that for now.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: SNK 40th Anniversary - Arcade Artwork contents new [Re: Mr. Do]
#387701 - 08/31/20 06:54 PM

Thanks for the replies. In fact I would like to know if under the 'Museum' option for Ikari, if there's the original japanese instruction cards that came with the tabletop cabinet at the time. Here's a pic of this ultra rare cab which has the instruction cards on each side of the monitor. In one of them you can see a map of the entire level with your plane crashlanding on it (the one on the right with a green background) and at the other card on the right you have the instructions on how to play the game. All written in japanese of course.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: SNK 40th Anniversary - Arcade Artwork contents new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#387706 - 09/01/20 01:08 AM Attachment: ikari_017.jpg 675 KB (1 downloads)

> Thanks for the replies. In fact I would like to know if under the 'Museum' option for
> Ikari, if there's the original japanese instruction cards that came with the tabletop
> cabinet at the time. Here's a pic of this ultra rare cab which has the instruction
> cards on each side of the monitor. In one of them you can see a map of the entire
> level with your plane crashlanding on it (the one on the right with a green
> background) and at the other card on the right you have the instructions on how to
> play the game. All written in japanese of course.

Ah... there it is...

Attachment

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: SNK 40th Anniversary - Arcade Artwork contents new [Re: Mr. Do]
#387707 - 09/01/20 01:08 AM Attachment: ikari_018.jpg 449 KB (2 downloads)

> > Thanks for the replies. In fact I would like to know if under the 'Museum' option
> for
> > Ikari, if there's the original japanese instruction cards that came with the
> tabletop
> > cabinet at the time. Here's a pic of this ultra rare cab which has the instruction
> > cards on each side of the monitor. In one of them you can see a map of the entire
> > level with your plane crashlanding on it (the one on the right with a green
> > background) and at the other card on the right you have the instructions on how to
> > play the game. All written in japanese of course.
>
> Ah... there it is...

And the instruction card...

Attachment

Dreamstate
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/27/17
Send PM

Re: SNK 40th Anniversary - Arcade Artwork contents *DELETED* new [Re: Mr. Do]
#387708 - 09/01/20 07:52 AM

Post deleted by Dreamstate

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: SNK 40th Anniversary - Arcade Artwork contents new [Re: Dreamstate]
#387709 - 09/01/20 03:02 PM

WOWWWWW!!! Awesome stuff! Thank you a lot for these pieces of artwork Mr.DO! They have much better resolution than I thought they would have coming from a collection like this. Now I'm convinced that this SNK 40th Anniversary Collection is for real!!

Here's a similar artwork I found on Twitter some time ago, it looks like the original ones you posted here, but in a different displacement:

I think it could be an earlier draft of these final instruction cards that came out with the original kit. Maybe the SNK collection has some info on this one as well.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 443