MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DJX
Reged: 12/04/17
Send PM

Genesis NVRAM Files
#387496 - 08/13/20 12:35 AM

Does anyone have some NVRAM files for Sega Genesis games? When I was a kid I completely cleared a bunch of slots in Sonic 3 & Knuckles and I was hoping someone had a similar NVRAM for MAME. Thanks.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Genesis NVRAM Files new [Re: DJX]
#387504 - 08/13/20 09:54 AM

> Does anyone have some NVRAM files for Sega Genesis games? When I was a kid I
> completely cleared a bunch of slots in Sonic 3 & Knuckles and I was hoping someone
> had a similar NVRAM for MAME. Thanks.

I'm sure you could find files like that at GamesFAQs, for example:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/genesis/586468-sonic-and-knuckles/saves

I don't have a PC with MAME at the moment to try though. The save could be overdumped or with the wrong endian order depending on which emulator or tool created the save. It helps to have an hex editor at hand to compare or remove headers and uCON64 to change byte order if necesary. It doesn't hurt to try I guess. They are really small files to be fixed when needed.

DJX
Reged: 12/04/17
Send PM

Re: Genesis NVRAM Files new [Re: BIOS-D]
#387512 - 08/14/20 12:49 AM

Created NVRAM file with MAME to get the file name.
Copied that file over and renamed to match.
Ran Sonic 3 and Knuckles but it didn't work.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Genesis NVRAM Files new [Re: DJX]
#387513 - 08/14/20 05:19 AM

> Created NVRAM file with MAME to get the file name.
> Copied that file over and renamed to match.
> Ran Sonic 3 and Knuckles but it didn't work.

I wish I could help you in more detail with this, but I won't have access to any kind of x86-x64 computer for a while. Looking at megadriv.xml I notice Sonic & Knuckles doesn't have RAM but Sonic 3 does, yet it's only 1,024 bytes. The file at GameFAQs is 111,872 bytes in size. No idea why it is so big.

My advice would be to check the uCON64 tool. Not only converts ROMs but SRAM files among emulators and cartridge devices.

https://ucon64.sourceforge.io/ucon64/readme.html

Maybe the --stp or --smds parameter will do the trick. It's up to you to try it.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#387515 - 08/14/20 09:50 AM

> > Created NVRAM file with MAME to get the file name.
> > Copied that file over and renamed to match.
> > Ran Sonic 3 and Knuckles but it didn't work.
>
> I wish I could help you in more detail with this, but I won't have access to any kind
> of x86-x64 computer for a while. Looking at megadriv.xml I notice Sonic & Knuckles
> doesn't have RAM but Sonic 3 does, yet it's only 1,024 bytes. The file at GameFAQs is
> 111,872 bytes in size. No idea why it is so big.
>
> My advice would be to check the uCON64 tool. Not only converts ROMs but SRAM files
> among emulators and cartridge devices.
>
> https://ucon64.sourceforge.io/ucon64/readme.html
>
> Maybe the --stp or --smds parameter will do the trick. It's up to you to try it.

I don't know anything about 16-bit Sonic games, but does it use a serial EEPROM like Wily Wars? The latter used to be an issue with some emulators 10+ years ago, and in some cases, even on some of the retro style consoles of that era (AtGames etc.)

e.g. "mame megadriv megaman", beat a boss, save, then close MAME at the game's menu, and the file is still 128 bytes full of 0xFF (the default when MAME creates it). Even when copying across my 100% file from Kega Fusion the result was the same, the file was untouched although the date/time was updated.

I noticed with my old MAME build (I think it was 0.214, might be even older but still >200) when I was making some Wily Wars XML cheats that it wasn't saving a single thing, not even the basic parts like saving after defeating a boss (this game saves your progress unlike the password-based NES/SNES Megaman games).

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#387601 - 08/25/20 04:45 AM

OK. I managed to give it a try and found out I missed the Sonic save at GameFAQs is a Wii save. That explains why it is so big and got wrong at suggesting such save for a Genesis FRAM sonic3u.nv file.

I also found out there exists an online save file editor for Sonic 3 and Sonic 3 plugged to Sonic and Knuckles. However I could not have enough time to test it properly. My attemps failed at making it work with MAME. You could try it maybe.

https://jcfields.gitlab.io/sonic3-save-editor/

I also found the instructions a lot later and now I have an idea about why it failed. It's up to you now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/dbjof5/i_made_a_save_editor_for_sonic_3s3k/

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

Turns out we were all wasting our time on this... until now. new [Re: DJX]
#390409 - 03/24/21 06:38 PM

> Does anyone have some NVRAM files for Sega Genesis games? When I was a kid I
> completely cleared a bunch of slots in Sonic 3 & Knuckles and I was hoping someone
> had a similar NVRAM for MAME. Thanks.

Who would have though about it? The game saving on MAME was one line comment ("TODO: implement pass-through NVRAM accessing for Sonic 3 cart, for Sonic 3 & Knuckles saving feature"). This is what we get for not reading the source first.

Now thanks to Ryan Holtz it will be possible to play these games properly. He is also working on the saving features compatibility from other Genesis/Mega Drive cartridges. It's nice to see this working. I'll give it a try once the next version of MAME comes.

Thank you very much. So ElBarto and Eke-Eke for their research whoever they are.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 283 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 747