MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Galaxian
Lurker
Reged: 09/22/03
Send PM

gitconfig?
#387451 - 08/10/20 07:05 PM

Suddenly I can't compile MAME anymore. I've deleted c:mys64/ and reinstalled.

When I run win32env.bat and enter "git config --global core.autocrlf true", I get:

error: could not lock config file /home/user/.gitconfig: No such file or directory

I don't have a .gitconfig

What do I need to do?

Thanks.

cyberdman
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/04/06
Send PM

Re: gitconfig? new [Re: Galaxian]
#387452 - 08/10/20 09:53 PM

Did you do the autorebase.bat first?

cyberdman

Galaxian
Lurker
Send PM

Re: gitconfig? new [Re: cyberdman]
#387468 - 08/11/20 07:59 AM

I've installed the tools in the default location, so this shouldn't be necessary. However, I've run it and it makes no difference.

Thanks.

Galaxian
Lurker
Send PM

#387487 - 08/12/20 06:41 PM

Anyone?

cyberdman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#387491 - 08/12/20 09:33 PM

First - Do you have a .git directory in your Home folder? If not create one.

Second - Do you have read/write permission on that .gitconfig file?

Third - is there a .gitconfig.lock file present? If so delete it.

cyberdman

Galaxian
Lurker
Send PM

#387492 - 08/12/20 09:50 PM

If you are referring to C:\Users\username\ then there are no such folder or files. I've created the folder but still no luck.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#387498 - 08/13/20 04:18 AM

> If you are referring to C:\Users\username\ then there are no such folder or files.
> I've created the folder but still no luck.

No, not your Windows profile directory. You need to work out where the MSYS2 environment has put your MinGW home directory that appears as /home/username in the MSYS2 environment and check permissions on that.

Galaxian
Lurker
Send PM

Re: gitconfig? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#387505 - 08/13/20 03:00 PM

Sorry to trouble you further, but I need some more help with this. I've being compiling MAME for many years, but I'm not a technical IT person and not had this problem before.

Everything is installed at c:\msys64.

Having searched my entire c: drive, there's a gitconfig file under C:\msys64\home\THENGAMES. There are no other directories under C:\msys64\home

cyberdman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#387510 - 08/13/20 09:51 PM

I'd say delete evything and start over with downloading the entire package again from MAMEDev Development tools. I put that in it's own msys64 directory with all my MAME stuff. Everyhting from the package is found inside the msys64 directory as it's root. Run all the commands, done. Easy peasy.

cyberdman

Galaxian
Lurker
Send PM

#387516 - 08/14/20 10:45 AM

That's what I did. No luck.

I've run the .bat files.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: gitconfig? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#387813 - 09/10/20 05:45 PM

> > If you are referring to C:\Users\username\ then there are no such folder or files.
> > I've created the folder but still no luck.
>
> No, not your Windows profile directory. You need to work out where the MSYS2
> environment has put your MinGW home directory that appears as /home/username in the
> MSYS2 environment and check permissions on that.

Can confirm same thing happened to me last night.

When downloading the "easy package" from here:

https://www.mamedev.org/tools/

A directory C:\msys64\home\THENGAMES is created, but a directory C:\msys64\home\%username% is not. If I copy the THENGAMES folder, then rename it to my username, I am able to continue with the step "git config --global core.autocrlf true"

But... updating the tools is also broken, due to MSYS2 issue reported here for 6/29:

https://www.msys2.org/news/

I was able to download the new keys and apply, but kept getting the same "marginal trust error"

I gave up on using the easy package at that point, and followed your instructions here:

https://docs.mamedev.org/initialsetup/compilingmame.html#using-a-standard-msys2-installation

After the initial learning curve of using some tools I hadn't used before, I successfully finished compiling a version last night.

Side question:

When using command from the easy package to download source... "git clone https://github.com/mamedev/mame.git" ... source is downloaded to C:\msys64\src\mame

When using same command from the "hard[?]" version of tools... source is downloaded to C:\msys64\home\%username%\mame.

Which is correct?

(Might be time to update the "easy package tools?").

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

cyberdman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: gitconfig? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#387830 - 09/11/20 09:41 PM

You know the instructions always said if you are installing somewhere else other that default you have to run autorebase.bat. I think you actually need to run the autorebase.bat no matter where you set it up. I set up mine in D:\MAME\msys64. When I download the source it goes to D:\MAME\msys64\src.

cyberdman

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

#387832 - 09/12/20 12:12 AM

> You know the instructions always said if you are installing somewhere else other that
> default you have to run autorebase.bat. I think you actually need to run the
> autorebase.bat no matter where you set it up. I set up mine in D:\MAME\msys64. When I
> download the source it goes to D:\MAME\msys64\src.

Yup... tried all that... I did a fresh install three different ways... I couldn't get past the step of updating the tools... known issue here:

https://forum.mamedev.org/viewtopic.php?p=1627#p1627

I followed the steps in the last post in that thread, and still got the unknown trust error (though I did not follow the last step of trying to ignore the signatures... I didn't want to go that route).

I ended up being okay, following the other directions... , plus I learned a bit more in the process, so... bonus?

I just wish I had a better PC. Last time I "had" to compile something was more than a few years ago... I remember it taking less than 30min. I've been laptop only for a few years now (work laptop doubles as my home laptop... separate hard drives), and I just got it replaced in January. 8 cores, but speed when all eight are running is 1.90, I think... took just over two hours to complete.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Re: gitconfig? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#388072 - 10/02/20 05:44 PM

> Yup... tried all that... I did a fresh install three different ways... I couldn't get
> past the step of updating the tools... known issue here:

I had similar trouble. Long story short, I unpacked the prepackaged installer to C: instead of to my removeable drive and skipped updating the build tools. That avoided the errors I kept running into. git clone and make completed without any trouble. Make took a really long time though and my executable wound up being twice as large as the official one. I didn't add any switches to the commandline.

Frank's walkthrough was very helpful. I hope he posts more hand-holding videos.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Pi 
0 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 811