MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Send PM

indy_4610 network emulation appears to work, but LAN marked as 'completely unemulated' ?
#386508 - 05/29/20 02:16 PM

Hi,

I recently tried out an Irix 6.2 install on an emulated indy_4610 with MAME, and the networking basics like setting up a default route, DNS hostname resolution, and logging in with telnet all seem to work. However, the warning at the start says that 'LAN is completely unemulated'. I was wondering why it is marked as such, when the basics appear to work ?

Please note, I'm not complaining that the emulation is not perfect, but (out of interest) rather the other way around: While networking basics seems ok, what work still needs to be done to have it marked as 'working' ?

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: indy_4610 network emulation appears to work, but LAN marked as 'completely unemulated' ? new [Re: mhoes]
#386509 - 05/29/20 02:27 PM

> what work
> still needs to be done to have it marked as 'working' ?

Mainly, the work that you just did. Patrick Mackinlay did all of the work in hooking up the ethernet chip, but I'm not familiar enough with IRIX 6.x to actually make the judgement call that it is what would constitute "working". The fact that you've gone through the effort of actually installing IRIX and ensuring that networking is working is about all the confirmation I needed to remove that flag, so thank you.

mhoes
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: indy_4610 network emulation appears to work, but LAN marked as 'completely unemulated' ? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#386510 - 05/29/20 02:37 PM

> Mainly, the work that you just did. Patrick Mackinlay did all of the work in hooking
> up the ethernet chip, but I'm not familiar enough with IRIX 6.x to actually make the
> judgement call that it is what would constitute "working". The fact that you've gone
> through the effort of actually installing IRIX and ensuring that networking is
> working is about all the confirmation I needed to remove that flag, so thank you.

Really ? LOL.

Actually, I have to give credit where credit is due: The actual 'installation of Irix 6.2' was done by a forum member over at 'forums.irixnet.org' who shared the CHD he installed it on. (I believe it took 'hours'). 'All' I did was configure the networking (ip/subnet/default route/dns resolver). I'm actually not very familiar with Irix either, but have some Unix experience with other flavors.

--- EDIT ---

Actually, it was installed and uploaded by forum member 'dexter1' over here : http://forums.irixnet.org/thread-1012-page-2.html

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: indy_4610 network emulation appears to work, but LAN marked as 'completely unemulated' ? new [Re: mhoes]
#386516 - 05/30/20 06:53 AM

>> Mainly, the work that you just did. Patrick Mackinlay did all of the work in hooking
>> up the ethernet chip, but I'm not familiar enough with IRIX 6.x to actually make the
>> judgement call that it is what would constitute "working". The fact that you've gone
>> through the effort of actually installing IRIX and ensuring that networking is
>> working is about all the confirmation I needed to remove that flag, so thank you.

>Really ? LOL.

>Actually, I have to give credit where credit is due: The actual 'installation of Irix >6.2' was done by a forum member over at 'forums.irixnet.org' who shared the CHD he >installed it on. (I believe it took 'hours'). 'All' I did was configure the networking >(ip/subnet/default route/dns resolver). I'm actually not very familiar with Irix either, >but have some Unix experience with other flavors.

--- EDIT ---

Actually, it was installed and uploaded by forum member 'dexter1' over here : http://forums.irixnet.org/thread-1012-page-2.html

Definitely need SGI testers with loads of patience and lots of hours to fritter away just like the Big Bang Theory clip where Sheldon talks about ready to spend many hours partitioning and uploading all his operating systems to colleague Raj. That segment of the tv show made me laugh. I would have linked it here, but as usual those clips get pulled/removed over time.

mhoes
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: indy_4610 network emulation appears to work, but LAN marked as 'completely unemulated' ? new [Re: gregf]
#386521 - 05/30/20 12:50 PM

> Definitely need SGI testers with loads of patience and lots of hours to fritter away
> just like the Big Bang Theory clip where Sheldon talks about ready to spend many
> hours partitioning and uploading all his operating systems to colleague Raj. That
> segment of the tv show made me laugh. I would have linked it here, but as usual those
> clips get pulled/removed over time.

Well, I don't usually like to speak for others, but over at the forum (and thread) I mentioned, there seem to be a lot of people (with Irix and SGI experience) who are really excited about MAME being able to emulate these systems now. Perhaps lurking/posting there would help in finding the right people ?

Actually, one forum member was asking about how he can fix the audio (it 'stutters' or 'echo's, I can't really tell), and I told him to *not* open a bug report because the audio is clearly marked as 'imperfectly emulated'. Sorry for that.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#386522 - 05/30/20 01:00 PM

Quote:

Actually, one forum member was asking about how he can fix the audio (it 'stutters' or 'echo's, I can't really tell)

That happens when your host system can’t emulate the guest system at full speed. Nothing you can do about it unless you can find a way to massively improve emulation performance.

mhoes
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: indy_4610 network emulation appears to work, but LAN marked as 'completely unemulated' ? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#386523 - 05/30/20 01:50 PM

>> Actually, one forum member was asking about how he can fix the audio (it 'stutters'
>> or 'echo's, I can't really tell)
>
> That happens when your host system can’t emulate the guest system at full speed.
> Nothing you can do about it unless you can find a way to massively improve emulation
> performance.

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up ! I'll tell the person that originally asked that question over at forums.irixnet.org

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 263 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 820