Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

if you like Eugene Jarvis
#386313 - 05/18/20 09:45 PM

https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/podcast-may-3-2020/

He does call COBOL "one of the more heinous languages ever created...which is like some government programming language" but it is very much in demand these days, at least in the U.S. anyway.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Re: if you like Eugene Jarvis new [Re: Andrew]
#386316 - 05/18/20 10:47 PM

I learned to code in COBOL back in the day (1995). It's a tricky language.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

Moochieone
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/25/19
Loc: Virginia
Send PM

Re: if you like Eugene Jarvis new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#386318 - 05/19/20 06:39 AM

I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast (yet), but plan to. Both my wife and I have decades of mainframe experience (her in data security protocols), and I in databases and programming. I graduated with a bachelor's degree in Computer Information Systems in 1995, and was in one of the last classes at the university for COBOL. Based on the way I was taught, COBOL is a great language to learn introduction to structured programming. It can be very powerful if coded correctly, only being surpassed by assembler (which is no longer taught in any university - at least on the mainframe platform) - yes, also learned mainframe assembler, as well as a number of other languages. My degree classes also taught me assembler on 8080 processors (I already had experience on 6502), C++, Java, and Microsoft Visual (C++, basic, web, etc.). Fortunately, my degree paid off during the Y2K era with having to decompile code that no longer had source available, and rebuild in COBOL and other languages. Most systems adopted a pivot year methodology that extended the life of the code out to 2025 or 2035, so I expect to have contracts for COBOL maintenance for those systems that haven't converted prior to those years. In addition, I found that a ton of state systems continue to use COBOL code to this day, and with universities no longer teaching the language, I expect to have coding contracts for at least a few more decades before retiring. Yes, everyone says COBOL is old, and easily dismisses it, but when you find a niche, you ride it out all the way simply because "it is what it is". You can't argue that.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Re: if you like Eugene Jarvis new [Re: Moochieone]
#386613 - 06/04/20 04:05 PM Attachment: 20200604_100031.jpg 1658 KB (0 downloads)

I still got my uni text book from 30+ years ago.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 224 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 626