MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Welp, tried Launch Box and ummm...went back to QMC2
#386294 - 05/18/20 03:18 AM

I figured I'd give LaunchBox a chance and attempted to import my MAME + rom set into the Launcher, but after taking what seems to be an eternity to import, and watching the progress bar move at a snail's pace, I decided my philosophy is better suited to simple frontends like QMC2. LaunchBox started filling my HD with bloated videos and other stuff for each game, and I decided I don't need all that. I just want to play! Anyone else here started down the LaunchBox rabbit hole, only to change your mind and went back to simple frontends?

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: Welp, tried Launch Box and ummm...went back to QMC2 new [Re: Outrun2006]
#386295 - 05/18/20 03:55 AM

I've been using Hyperspin for years and am slowly moving over to Launchbox/Bigbox. I like the new feature they added supporting MAME high scores in the community.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#386296 - 05/18/20 05:24 AM

No, I use Launchbox with Bigox and had the patience to let everything complete. I'm a bit confused with your post. We're you looking for some comradery with lazy people that don't have the patience to get something done?

Edited by Envisaged0ne (05/18/20 05:26 AM)

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Welp, tried Launch Box and ummm...went back to QMC2 new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#386302 - 05/18/20 06:57 AM

And I'm even more confused by your reply. What does being lazy have to do with not wanting to continue using the Launchbox platform? I was simply stating my opinion that at first I thought having my MAME games in LB would be cool, but then I realized i don't need the bloat. Sure I could have my laptop sit there for 16hrs downloading all the Metadata for MAME, but...why bother? Simpler is better.

Keep in mind I still have it installed and decided to use it for my Steam Library as well as TeknoParrot, but for MAME in particular, I'm comfortable with QMC2.

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/15
Send PM

#386306 - 05/18/20 01:02 PM

And there I thought that QMC2 had a bit too many extra things already (first thing I always do after reinstall is to move the softlist, devices and configuration tabs to where they're instantly visible and forget about the others).

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Re: Welp, tried Launch Box and ummm...went back to QMC2 new [Re: ICEknight]
#386307 - 05/18/20 03:28 PM

I moved from QMC2 to Lauchbox Free edition this year and it was the best thing I did!

QMC2 is now outdated and the developer had a stroke some time ago and after that I suppose that he decided to give up on QMC2 to do better things from now on. So it's pretty much a dead FE, just like many others in the past.

LaunchBox/BigBox on the other hand has a very active development team/community behind it and has constant updates. It also has a cool UI and is very flexible, as long as you know how to deal with command line options.

Edited by R.Coltrane (05/19/20 03:48 PM)

Jer
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/15/04
Loc: Canada
Send PM

#386309 - 05/18/20 06:07 PM

You can run Launchbox without your stated "bloat". It's as simple as unchecking the boxes of items you want to download at the beginning of the import process.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Welp, tried Launch Box and ummm...went back to QMC2 new [Re: Jer]
#386317 - 05/19/20 05:19 AM

Yeah, I've been reading up more on it. I might give it another gander and attempt another MAME import. I'm off for the next two days so I've got the time. My rom set is merged. Will that be a problem? Also, my CHDs are located in another folder. what if I want to add them after I've already added my normal rom set? Ditto with the softrom set?

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

Re: Welp, tried Launch Box and ummm...went back to QMC2 new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#386350 - 05/19/20 10:51 PM

> I moved from QMC2 to Lauchbox Free edition this year and it was the best thing I did!

> QMC2 is now outdated and the developer had a stroke some time ago and after that I
> suppose that he decided to give up on QMC2 to do better things from now on. So it's
> pretty much a dead FE, just like many others in the past.

I do not think that this is true. From what i have read on forums.bannister.org the developer of QMC2 will continue his work. It will just take a while, to adapt all things needed for the newest MAME versions. He survived several strokes and is healthy again. If you know what a stroke is, then you know that this is serious shit. I wish him all the best.

From what we heard from MAME devs, is that they think that QMC2 is the best frontend for MAME or the frontend they like the most, because it does not use any outdated code like MAME UI etc.

I do not agree to that and every taste is different.

Edited by uman (05/19/20 10:54 PM)

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

#386359 - 05/20/20 05:48 AM

Merged or splits sets are fine. As for CHD in another folder it will work as long as your MAME ini has the path it will create a database so no need to download chd's later.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Welp, tried Launch Box and ummm...went back to QMC2 new [Re: uman]
#386361 - 05/20/20 07:27 AM

> I do not think that this is true. From what i have read on forums.bannister.org the
> developer of QMC2 will continue his work. It will just take a while, to adapt all
> things needed for the newest MAME versions. He survived several strokes and is
> healthy again. If you know what a stroke is, then you know that this is serious shit.
> I wish him all the best.
>
> From what we heard from MAME devs, is that they think that QMC2 is the best frontend
> for MAME or the frontend they like the most, because it does not use any outdated
> code like MAME UI etc.
>
> I do not agree to that and every taste is different.

I know we've had our disagreements, but I 100% agree with you here.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Re: Welp, tried Launch Box and ummm...went back to QMC2 new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#386365 - 05/20/20 02:10 PM

I'm not saying that QMC2 was bad, on the contrary, I used it for years and I recommended it many times in the past as the best FE available! And I also wish the developer the best and I feel better to know that he recovered well and is now back!!

Like someone said, It's more a matter of taste. My taste changed over the years and I decided to move to something new.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 300 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 834