Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Mr. Driver
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/27/20
Send PM

Mame vs other Emulators
#386172 - 05/10/20 02:25 PM

This is probably a pointless question but, Sega Rally Championship and House of the Dead dont work on Mame yet the same roms work flawlessly on Sega Model 2 emulator and I wanted to know why this is?

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Mame vs other Emulators new [Re: Mr. Driver]
#386175 - 05/10/20 05:02 PM

> This is probably a pointless question but, Sega Rally Championship and House of the
> Dead dont work on Mame yet the same roms work flawlessly on Sega Model 2 emulator and
> I wanted to know why this is?

Because nobody's interested in working on them in MAME. Next.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#386176 - 05/10/20 05:02 PM

> This is probably a pointless question but, Sega Rally Championship and House of the
> Dead dont work on Mame yet the same roms work flawlessly on Sega Model 2 emulator and

Sadly, MAME does not have the knowledge and/or active developers to work on it currently as it is a purely volunteer project. Stand alone emulators are usually better because it is the only focus for that developer or developers. Also, add to the fact that this emulator is closed source - MAME is still left with mysteries to be re-solved and attempts to emulate EVERY known part of the PCB/machine including minute devices which may either be patched out or worked around in the original, standalone emulator, makes everything more difficult. Even if MAME was to get all the information from sources, if the original developer doesn't lead the inclusion into MAME, again, it'll take skilled people to concentrate their efforts to one goal which is difficult in a volunteer situation. No one is paid nor does MAME have commercial concerns. All MAME can do is document what it knows.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#386184 - 05/11/20 03:54 AM

I feel like I'm a 1000 years old when I see questions like yours.

Sometimes people make sort of "proof of concept" emulators just because they can, and sometimes the thing that matters the most is that the games are playable. I don't remember anymore if that was the case exactly with the Model 2 emulator. But the point is that MAME as a project has other priorities that most casual users aren't aware of.

If you go to mamedev.org and read MAME's mission statement you'll learn that MAME has a strict set of goals, rules, ethics, programming guidelines, philosophy, things like that.
And those are very important in various ways to the thriving and survival of MAME.

If you're just complaining and not really curious: Sometimes it's not technically possible within the framework of MAME to have certain games playable that are playable in other emulators.

S

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 244 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 530