Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Game & Watch
#386020 - 04/28/20 04:10 AM

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch - the letdown of the presentation... new [Re: Andrew]
#386021 - 04/28/20 05:44 AM

...it overlooked coinop game Nintendo Monkey Magic.

That is simply wrong. Overlooking a great game like Monkey Magic is doing a disservice to Nintendo when trying to cover the early period era of Nintendo games.

Aside from that, a quality presentation. And it also helps utilizing some segments of gameplay (I am pretty certain) with assistance of emulation from MAME.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch - the letdown of the presentation... new [Re: gregf]
#386027 - 04/29/20 03:05 PM

I don't think I've seen one of the devices in real life so maybe not such a big demand in the Boston area. I vaguely recall seeing something similar at Child World but I am dating myself there lol. I only really became aware of them when they wound up being in scope for MAME emulation.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch - the letdown of the presentation... new [Re: Andrew]
#386045 - 05/01/20 12:53 AM

>I don't think I've seen one of the devices in real life so maybe not such a big demand in
>the Boston area. I vaguely recall seeing something similar at Child World but I am dating
>myself there lol.

A fair number of junior high classmates would bring their Mattel Electronics led handheld games to junior high (my jr high years 1977 to 1980). A couple of them also might have brought Coleco games as well, but primarily it was Mattel brand games. I don't recall ever seeing any handheld games brought to junior high by the time 1980 rolled around. I had thought Microvision system was popular, but maybe it was not as popular as I had assumed. I talked to someone in my age range and he never recalled seeing anyone playing any of the Microvision brand games. He did remember a lot more of his contemporaries (friends etc.) more likely playing Coleco handheld games instead of Mattel brand LED games.

It was the same way when moving on to high school years, I don't recall seeing any fellow high school classmates bringing in any handheld games during years at high school (1980 to 1983). It was more likely Sony Walkman tape players instead.

>I only really became aware of them when they wound up being in scope for MAME emulation.

Same here.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch - the letdown of the presentation... new [Re: gregf]
#386047 - 05/01/20 05:14 AM

> A fair number of junior high classmates would bring their Mattel Electronics led
> handheld games to junior high (my jr high years 1977 to 1980). A couple of them also
> might have brought Coleco games as well, but primarily it was Mattel brand games. I
> don't recall ever seeing any handheld games brought to junior high by the time 1980
> rolled around. I had thought Microvision system was popular, but maybe it was not as
> popular as I had assumed. I talked to someone in my age range and he never recalled
> seeing anyone playing any of the Microvision brand games. He did remember a lot more
> of his contemporaries (friends etc.) more likely playing Coleco handheld games
> instead of Mattel brand LED games.
>
> It was the same way when moving on to high school years, I don't recall seeing any
> fellow high school classmates bringing in any handheld games during years at high
> school (1980 to 1983). It was more likely Sony Walkman tape players instead.
>
>
> > I only really became aware of them when they wound up being in scope for MAME
> emulation.
>
> Same here.

Jr high just a few years after yours- Donkey Kong was a big hit so a classmate brought in a G&W Donkey Kong game he bought in Japan and a short time later it became available here so I got my own and brought it in. I don't remember any other G&W games in school so it may have been a Donkey Kong phenomenon rather than G&W in general. A friend of mine a year or so earlier did have a Mattel Football game though.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch new [Re: Qun Mang]
#386050 - 05/01/20 09:58 AM

>> A fair number of junior high classmates would bring their Mattel Electronics led
>> handheld games to junior high (my jr high years 1977 to 1980). A couple of them also
>> might have brought Coleco games as well, but primarily it was Mattel brand games. I
>> don't recall ever seeing any handheld games brought to junior high by the time 1980
>> rolled around.

>Jr high just a few years after yours-

I recall some lcd handheld entertainment such as Mattel's horse racing betting/gambling and Mattel's game of Gin (both emulated iirc) being sold at family store places like Gemco or other family stores May Co, Sears etc before Walmart eventually became "the only thing in town". If any of those Time Out brand games (marketed for Nintendo) had been on store shelves, I must have overlooked them because I was only familiar with names of Coleco, Mattel, MB and Parker Bros.

As for Mattel stuff, the Intellivision system would have been my thing, but that was ruled out since it meant having to hook that to a tv set and my parents wanted no part of that.

> Donkey Kong was a big hit so a classmate brought in
>a G&W Donkey Kong game he bought in Japan and a short time later it became available here
>so I got my own and brought it in. I don't remember any other G&W games in school so it
>may have been a Donkey Kong phenomenon rather than G&W in general.

Going by memory as best possible from late 1981 through 1982: I was involved with DCI (drum corps international 1982 summer tour with Anaheim Velvet Knights), and first time saw a cocktail table Galaga while with other members of VK at an Italian pizza parlor somewhere in southeast region of PA (near Pittsburgh) sometime in early August (1982)...a couple weeks before arriving in Montreal for DCI championship finals competition in MLB's Expos Olympic Stadium. While dining inside the pizza parlor and watching others play Galaga cocktail table, I believe I spotted an upright Donkey Kong, but I never bothered to see if it was. Had only about 30 minutes to eat before departing on VK tour buses to head eastward and stay in central PA for next few days of practice rehearsals.

The first time I had a chance to see a Donkey Kong upright cab in person was in fall 1982
at a pizza parlor (senior year). I had heard about the game being popular, but I had never associated the Nintendo name with the various film reel games from just a few years before. Donkey Kong didn't cut it for me, but I did like Bosconian and stayed with that game until Xevious arrived the following year.

> A friend of mine a year or so earlier did have a Mattel Football game though.

That was the basic must have for any of the handheld gamers from that era. One couldn't be a handheld gamer without a Mattel Football game....and a Coleco version didn't count imo......and don't get me started on that cheap bootleg Conic Football (emulated in MAME) with the sound quality far inferior to the real Mattel Football. I am not settling for that being only one in MAME. ;-) *kidding*

That Conic Football gives the real Mattel Football a bad image representation.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 301 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 672