View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

hotgraphics
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/07/06
Send PM

Sequential 2 position gearstick in Mame
#385462 - 03/08/20 03:18 AM

Hi Guys, I have a Logitech Momo Racing Force steering wheel, with a two position sequential gearstick & I was wondering if there is any way in Mame to use that to cycle through the gears if e.g. a 4 speed manual gearbox is selected in a driving game, similar to how you can do that in Supermodel?. I've had a bit of a look at it in Mame & you only appear to be able to make each gear a button or key, no straight gear up & gear down option to cycle through a 4 speed box. If there currently is no way to do this, is there a chance it could be implemented into Mame, I'm sure there would be plenty of wheel users with that sort of wheel setup who would be grateful, including myself?.

Mojo2000
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: North America
Send PM

Re: Sequential 2 position gearstick in Mame new [Re: hotgraphics]
#385701 - 03/30/20 12:06 AM

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but true MAME code is supposed to emulate hardware exactly as it appeared IRL. Ergo, if none of the driving games supported in MAME used a sequential shifter for more than two forward gears, then it simply won't appear in MAME.

The only way for this function to happen in MAME would be in a custom build or hack, neither of which would be supported in this forum. Amirite?

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Sequential 2 position gearstick in Mame new [Re: Mojo2000]
#385709 - 03/30/20 08:02 AM

You're exactly correct. MAME strives to emulate games as faithfully & accurately as possible. They won't make compromises

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

iPud
Interloper
Reged: 03/30/20
Send PM

Re: Sequential 2 position gearstick in Mame new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#385711 - 03/30/20 08:45 PM

> You're exactly correct. MAME strives to emulate games as faithfully & accurately as
> possible. They won't make compromises

I suppose this depends on your interpretation of "run". Per Wikipedia: "An emulator typically enables the host system to run software or use peripheral devices designed for the guest system." Yes, the driving games "run" on my PC, but they're of little value if you can't actually control them in a meaningful way.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Sequential 2 position gearstick in Mame new [Re: iPud]
#385713 - 03/30/20 10:10 PM

MAME will allow you to play games with our peripherals, but will not change the way the controls worked to make it more convenient for you. For example, someone might want to change the way the game uses gear shifts to work easier with there controller. But if that isn't how the original game was designed, they won't change the game code to suit your needs. If your convenience interferes with the the way the original game was designed, then that's something you'll just have to deal with

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

famawizard
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/04/04
Send PM

Re: Sequential 2 position gearstick in Mame new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#385731 - 04/01/20 04:29 PM

Use a remapper that has this functionality, like xpadder.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 351 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 543