Pages: 1

anoid
Lurker
Reged: 12/05/03
Send PM

Dragon’s Lair Update
#384928 - 01/06/20 05:06 AM

Ian Smallshire (@IanSmallshire) Tweeted:
ld-decode and Domesday duplicator does wonders for Dragons Lair Laserdisc #Domesday86 https://t.co/cI8dTX5Prx

A-Noid

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Dragon’s Lair Update new [Re: anoid]
#384929 - 01/06/20 05:26 AM

>Ian Smallshire (@IanSmallshire) Tweeted:
ld-decode and Domesday duplicator does wonders for Dragons Lair Laserdisc

I am guessing that example is after using ld-decode rev6 version after Simon and crew released that version weeks earlier. https://twitter.com/simoninns

And for those that didn't see this post and thread from the previous week.

-
Re: ld-decode WIP
12/31/19

https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sh...part=1&vc=1
-

I wonder if a disc dumping status page either already exists or maybe will be created once that more laserdiscs are worked on.

agard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/13
Send PM

#384935 - 01/06/20 05:18 PM

Very nice to see work going on with laserdiscs.
Has the main laserdisc players been emulated for Dragon's Lair Space Ace ect. as I know some laserdisc games are emulated in MAME but not sure if they was the pcb versions of them or even if there was pcb versions of them. Also they got new old stock laserdiscs what great finds.

Thanks

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Dragon’s Lair Update new [Re: agard]
#384936 - 01/06/20 05:52 PM

>Has the main laserdisc players been emulated for Dragon's Lair Space Ace ect. as I know
>some laserdisc games are emulated in MAME but not sure if they was the pcb versions of them
>or even if there was pcb versions of them.

See MAME Git hub site

source code comments excerpt
--
src/mame/drivers/dlair.cpp

Laserdisc Players Used
----------------------
Pioneer PR-7820 (USA / Cinematronics)
Pioneer LD-V1000 (USA / Cinematronics)
Philips 22VP932 (Europe / Atari) and (Italian / Sidam)
-

And fortunately the roms from the pcbs are already dumped.

As for laser disc player systems being emulated, these two are (one other, but forget which one) even though a little more work is needed for both systems.

--
src/devices/machine/ldv1000.cpp

Pioneer LD-V1000 laserdisc emulation.

src/devices/machine/ldpr8210.cpp

Pioneer PR-8210 laserdisc emulation
-

agard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Dragon’s Lair Update new [Re: gregf]
#384942 - 01/07/20 12:53 AM

Thank you for info.

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

#384943 - 01/07/20 06:28 AM

>I wonder if a disc dumping status page either already exists or maybe will be created >once that more laserdiscs are worked on.

I was wondering what was available for dumping. I know there are some prototype games out there. I guess it would behoove the owners to rip them before they rot (if they haven't rotted already)

I don't understand the archiving process fully (actually not at all, lol). Is there something that can be done for "drop outs" or "misreads" if there is only one disc to sample? As in a proto.

Is there any hardware that will be hard to emulate? I know there was discussion about Star Rider doing some weird panning & zooming.

Are there any games that would be easy? Ones that may be just waiting for a rip.

Nice to see progress. Thanks to all involved.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Dragon’s Lair Update new [Re: Antny]
#384945 - 01/07/20 10:33 AM

>I was wondering what was available for dumping. I know there are some prototype games out
>there. I guess it would behoove the owners to rip them before they rot (if they haven't
>rotted already) Are there any games that would be easy? Ones that may be just waiting for a
>rip.

My guess is the order will be set by which laser disc player is already emulated and then going by how many discs/copies on hand of a particular game in order to 'correct' all of the captured data to ensure a most usable image. I am guessing that means Dragons Lair might be supported first before Cube Quest or it could be a different popular widely supported game altogether. It depends if laser player is already emulated and if roms from the pcbs of the coinop laser disc game have already been dumped.

>I don't understand the archiving process fully (actually not at all, lol). Is there
>something that can be done for "drop outs" or "misreads" if there is only one disc to
>sample? As in a proto.

Someone had typed up an informative post here a long time ago, but I couldn't find that exact post. The post provided precise details that could easily have been a wikipedia entry by itself.

pablopelos
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/19/12
Send PM

#384955 - 01/08/20 04:41 AM

I remember MACH 3 was quite playable. I blindly assume the mechanics of navigating a laserdisc are similar among the games.

WarrenO
Daphne dev, LD Archivist
Reged: 08/08/08
Send PM

Re: Dragon’s Lair Update new [Re: Antny]
#384956 - 01/08/20 01:55 PM

> I don't understand the archiving process fully (actually not at all, lol). Is there
> something that can be done for "drop outs" or "misreads" if there is only one disc to
> sample? As in a proto.

Roughly speaking, the process is:

1. Modify a laserdisc player by tapping the raw RF signal coming from the laser pickup

2. Connect the RF signal to a capture device. The custom-built "Domesday Duplicator" is the standard so far, though people have been experimenting with using devices for Software-Defined Radio (HackRF, etc.)

3. Capture the raw RF to a ginormous, massive, really big file. A 30-minute side of a laserdisc captured by the DdD takes up 90 GB. I figured out a while ago that FLAC can compress it about 2:1, and people have since written scripts to support this as a quasi-standard for the project.

4. Use the ld-decode software stack to convert the raw RF into audio and video. The fact that this works at all is nothing short of amazing. The software is still under heavy development, but already the results are often better than anything that can be done with standard A/V capture.

5. ????

6. Enjoy in MAME

One area where ld-decode far exceeds a standard laserdisc player is in dealing with poor-quality discs. The dropout compensation makes rotted discs watchable, and good discs near-perfect. There is also a tool for combining data from 3 or more captures to avoid dropouts rather than compensating for them, and to take the cleanest signal for any given line in the video. It's in early stages, but this will be huge for getting truly archival-quality transfers.

It's not clear yet exactly what path the captures will take to find their way into MAME. It could be as simple as creating files using the existing CHD format, or as complicated as doing a full software decode in real-time. I think the best answer lies somewhere in the middle, but I'm not sure where yet. If anyone is discussing this, I'd love to hear about it, and help if I can.

Anyway, it's pretty cool stuff!

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: Dragon’s Lair Update new [Re: WarrenO]
#384963 - 01/09/20 01:36 PM

I can only imagine the amount of work that has been put into producing the decode software. Especially considering the somewhat bonkers nature of Laserdisk in the first place.

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

Re: Dragon’s Lair Update new [Re: WarrenO]
#384965 - 01/09/20 05:10 PM

> 3. Capture the raw RF to a ginormous, massive, really big file. A 30-minute side of a
> laserdisc captured by the DdD takes up 90 GB. I figured out a while ago that FLAC can
> compress it about 2:1, and people have since written scripts to support this as a
> quasi-standard for the project.

I am no expert here, but this sounds way too much GB, for a a PAL format as maximum resolution. Any lossless or uncompressed codec would produce much less than 90GB for 30minutes.

Uncompressed 13.5 MHz sampling, 8bit

720x480 = 345,600 pixels x 3bytes (YUV) = 1.037 MB / frame

1.037 x 30frames x 60sec x 60 min = ~112 GB / hr. for 4:4:4

4:4:4 sampling = ~112 GB / hour (uncompressed)

For 10bit multiply x 1.25 = ~140 GB / hour (uncompressed)

Also FLAC is just a audio codec AFAIK, but it is true that this codec compress audio with a 2:1 ratio.
One hour audio is about 300MB, so that is not the problem here.

How MAME will handle images with such a size, will be interesting. It sounds like pure madness to me, that a user should keep "master"-files with these sizes. A full Laserdisk collection would easily exceed multiple TB.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Dragon’s Lair Update new [Re: uman]
#384967 - 01/09/20 07:02 PM

> I am no expert here

Here's how the Domesday Duplicator works, since you're thinking in terms of video, which the output of the DdD is very much not:

There is no such thing as a "frame" to the DdD. There is no such thing as a "resolution" to the DdD.

It's a blazing-fast ADC hooked up directly to the RF output of the laser pickup on one end, and to a USB3 link
on the other end that streams 10-bit data in 16-bit words (because packing it would create processing overhead) at 40MSPS, which is then packed on the PC side.

2 bytes per sample at a 10/16 packing ratio.
40000000 samples per second.
60 seconds per minute.
30 minutes mentioned by WarrenO.

(2 * 40000000 * (10 / 16) * 60 * 30) works out to exactly 90 000 000 000 bytes.

smf
I've been here before
Reged: 01/16/15
Send PM

#384976 - 01/10/20 08:47 PM

> I am no expert here, but this sounds way too much GB, for a a PAL format as maximum
> resolution.

They are NTSC format.

> 720x480 = 345,600 pixels x 3bytes (YUV) = 1.037 MB / frame

Laserdiscs don't have pixels, it's analogue & they are sampling exactly what is on disc. The decoding of the video into something that can be displayed is done by ld-decode from the huge files. By keeping the large files, they can improve the decoding without having to re-read the laser discs (which may have rotted in the mean time).

There is also quite a bit of data in each frame that isn't displayed.

> 4:4:4 sampling = ~112 GB / hour (uncompressed)

CAV Laser discs, necessary for interactive use, are limited to 30 minutes.

You can't 4:4:4 sample it, it's an undecoded wave form.

> Also FLAC is just a audio codec AFAIK, but it is true that this codec compress audio
> with a 2:1 ratio.

How do you think FLAC can tell whether it's compressing audio or not? It's just taking a stream of numbers with certain characteristics. What he's telling you is that the huge dumps from the laser disc have the right characteristics for FLAC to compress.

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/15
Send PM

#384977 - 01/10/20 09:18 PM

> How MAME will handle images with such a size, will be interesting. It sounds like
> pure madness to me, that a user should keep "master"-files with these sizes. A full
> Laserdisk collection would easily exceed multiple TB.

I still remember waiting for a while to download ROMs bigger than 1Mb, which we sometimes couldn't even store in a floppy disk because they were so damn huge!

VirtuaIceMan
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/22/07
Send PM

Re: Dragon’s Lair Update new [Re: ICEknight]
#384983 - 01/11/20 04:27 PM

I remember when laserdisc started being supported by MAME and they were 13GB or so, that seemed crazy, but now that's just a small PC game!

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Bega's Battle, decoded new [Re: anoid]
#384993 - 01/13/20 02:31 PM

You can see all the relevant thanks in the video's description on YouTube, but here's the output of Bega's Battle, having been captured via the Domesday Duplicator and output via the ld-decode toolchain:

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

Re: Bega's Battle, decoded new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#384995 - 01/13/20 05:36 PM

> You can see all the relevant thanks in the video's description on YouTube, but here's
> the output of Bega's Battle, having been captured via the Domesday Duplicator and
> output via the ld-decode toolchain:

Wow. Colour me impressed. That is looking *gorgeous*.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: Bega's Battle, decoded new [Re: casm]
#384996 - 01/13/20 06:03 PM

And that's without even having run it through a deinterlacer.

DomesdayCollector
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/29/18
Send PM

Re: Bega's Battle, decoded new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#384997 - 01/13/20 10:55 PM Attachment: frame_ntsc_comb_265.png 436 KB (0 downloads)

And here a sample of the next disc...

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

DomesdayCollector
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Bega's Battle, decoded new [Re: DomesdayCollector]
#384999 - 01/14/20 12:38 AM Attachment: LaserActive.JPG 105 KB (0 downloads)

Its not a complete decode yet but here is a sneak peak of the first decoded data from the EFM track on a LaserActive Laserdisc

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

agard
MAME Fan
Send PM

#385000 - 01/14/20 12:46 AM

Is MAME still gonna use chd for these dumps of laserdiscs or is there gonna be a new format for them ?

I would love to see a new complete capture of Dragon's Lair or Space Ace. Is there any new videos of those ?

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#385005 - 01/14/20 02:23 PM

> Its not a complete decode yet but here is a sneak peak of the first decoded data from
> the EFM track on a LaserActive Laserdisc

This is really good to see, since these contain both code and video they're a bit more interesting to see emulated than your regular LD based systems, and I was worried for many years that the code would simply end up being lost.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#385011 - 01/14/20 05:03 PM

> I am no expert here, but this sounds way too much GB, for a a PAL format as maximum
> resolution. Any lossless or uncompressed codec would produce much less than 90GB for
> 30minutes.

LASERDISCS. ARE. NOT. DIGITAL. They encode an analog NTSC or PAL composite signal plus separate audio (which *can* be digital on later discs but likely isn't on any of the arcade games).

The captures are large because they're sampling the analog RF signal that's encoded on the disc, and they want to make sure they're not missing any data. It's like an AppleSauce or Kryoflux capture of a floppy, where a 143K disc generates a multi-megabyte capture.

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Dragon’s Lair Update new [Re: R. Belmont]
#385014 - 01/15/20 12:04 AM

> LASERDISCS. ARE. NOT. DIGITAL. They encode an analog NTSC or PAL composite signal
> plus separate audio (which *can* be digital on later discs but likely isn't on any of
> the arcade games).

It's not exactly "standard" composite, the bandwidth and carrier frequencies are different, but it's the same principle. For instance around frequency 0 (e.g. unmodulated), you have the luminance signal on a ntsc signal so that you can splat it on a B&W tv with barely any filtering, while a LD puts the audio there. The LD in practice has a larger total bandwidth than composite (8Mhz instead of 6MHz iirc) and they use that to separate luminance and chrominance better, which gives a lot less dot crawl.

OG.

DomesdayCollector
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Dragon’s Lair Update new [Re: R. Belmont]
#385015 - 01/15/20 12:25 AM

Opening titles with audio!

https://youtu.be/PDbxC-7wbtI

The Nate
Reged: 07/11/17
Send PM

#385040 - 01/18/20 12:18 AM

So, what's the lowdown on this? Is MAME finally going to properly support LD games?

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: Dragon’s Lair Update new [Re: The Nate]
#385063 - 01/20/20 07:24 AM

> So, what's the lowdown on this? Is MAME finally going to properly support LD games?

Of course it will. As for when, well, you've been around long enough to know that you never ask for timelines.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Dragon’s Lair Update new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#385113 - 01/26/20 06:47 PM

> > So, what's the lowdown on this? Is MAME finally going to properly support LD games?
>
>
> Of course it will. As for when, well, you've been around long enough to know that you
> never ask for timelines.

And if anyone does, Twisty will bring out the nipple clamps.

[/joking]

(But then, I'm not in a position to make such a statement...)

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Dragon’s Lair Update new [Re: Master O]
#385141 - 01/30/20 09:33 PM

>> > So, what's the lowdown on this? Is MAME finally going to properly support LD games?
>
>
>> Of course it will. As for when, well, you've been around long enough to know that you
>> never ask for timelines.

>And if anyone does, Twisty will bring out the nipple clamps.
>[/joking]

Twisty is gone....let's settle for Vas will smack the poster with a cricket paddle instead.

Doosh
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/02/09
Send PM

#385317 - 02/23/20 09:29 AM

> Ian Smallshire (@IanSmallshire) Tweeted:
> ld-decode and Domesday duplicator does wonders for Dragons Lair Laserdisc #Domesday86
> https://t.co/cI8dTX5Prx
>
> A-Noid

Look forward to this beauty once it is released on MAME one day.

Doosh
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Dragon’s Lair Update new [Re: Doosh]
#385543 - 03/16/20 01:26 PM

I noticed that the web site domesday86.com has not had any updates since 22 Dec 19. Does anyone know if there have been any further developments on the hardware or software since, or has the project reached a stage where achieving of laser discs can commence for preservation when discs become available / found?

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: Dragon’s Lair Update new [Re: Doosh]
#385544 - 03/16/20 06:00 PM

> I noticed that the web site domesday86.com has not had any updates since 22 Dec 19.
> Does anyone know if there have been any further developments on the hardware or
> software since, or has the project reached a stage where achieving of laser discs can
> commence for preservation when discs become available / found?

Yes, ld-decode is still under active development, but the main devs have been unfortunately fairly busy with real life lately.

Doosh
MAME Fan
Send PM

#385545 - 03/16/20 08:38 PM

> > I noticed that the web site domesday86.com has not had any updates since 22 Dec 19.
> > Does anyone know if there have been any further developments on the hardware or
> > software since, or has the project reached a stage where achieving of laser discs
> can
> > commence for preservation when discs become available / found?
>
> Yes, ld-decode is still under active development, but the main devs have been
> unfortunately fairly busy with real life lately.

Thanks for the update. Besides being busy with the usual life duties which I totally understand, the chaos of the virus does not help.

Doosh
MAME Fan
Send PM

#386160 - 05/09/20 01:09 AM

> > I noticed that the web site domesday86.com has not had any updates since 22 Dec 19.
> > Does anyone know if there have been any further developments on the hardware or
> > software since, or has the project reached a stage where achieving of laser discs
> can
> > commence for preservation when discs become available / found?
>
> Yes, ld-decode is still under active development, but the main devs have been
> unfortunately fairly busy with real life lately.

Just wondering if the ld-decode development team can post any updated WIP development to the community if any progress has been made. Just like to understand the progress made to date since the last update, as to me this seems to be the last holy grail in the emu community for accurate preservation. Noted that the dev team may be busy with real life issues and hope that covid-19 does not impact on the development or their families. Be well.

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/15
Send PM

Re: Audio cassettes new [Re: Doosh]
#386165 - 05/09/20 10:52 PM

> as to me this seems to be the last holy grail in
> the emu community for accurate preservation.

There's also perfectly accurate audio cassette preservation still left to achieve, even though not as many people seem to be interested in it (which is a shame, since those tapes are pretty delicate).

If anyone has enough technical knowledge and can help with it, there's a dedicated #audio-cassettes channel on the Domesday86 discord server.

Bullishunderdog
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/22/20
Send PM

#387573 - 08/22/20 07:32 AM

> >> > So, what's the lowdown on this? Is MAME finally going to properly support LD
> games?
> >
> >
> >> Of course it will. As for when, well, you've been around long enough to know that
> you
> >> never ask for timelines.
>
> > And if anyone does, Twisty will bring out the nipple clamps.
> >[/joking]
>
>
> Twisty is gone....let's settle for Vas will smack the poster with a cricket paddle
> instead.

M.A.C.H. 3 - got em
Cobra Command - got em
Cliffhanger - got em
Dragon's Lair - need em
Space Ace - need em

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 197 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4366