Pages: 1

joemagiera
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/16/08
Loc: Evanston, IL, USA
Send PM

GetTickCount64 error help please
#384386 - 11/25/19 09:39 PM

Running MAME version .215 on a Windows XP 32 bit machine. First time I try it I get this error message:

The procedure entry point GetTickCount64 could not be located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll.

I tried searching the 'net for a download and couldn't find anything. I tried searching the forums here for help and didn't find anything.

This same PC runs version .191 with no problems. Can anyone please help/advise? Thanks,

Joe (joemagiera at Ameritech dot net)
[email protected]

PM's turned off. If you want to reach me, direct email please.

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
[email protected]

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: GetTickCount64 error help please new [Re: joemagiera]
#384387 - 11/25/19 11:28 PM

> Running MAME version .215 on a Windows XP 32 bit machine. First time I try it I get
> this error message:
>
> The procedure entry point GetTickCount64 could not be located in the dynamic link
> library kernel32.dll.
>
> I tried searching the 'net for a download and couldn't find anything. I tried
> searching the forums here for help and didn't find anything.
>
> This same PC runs version .191 with no problems. Can anyone please help/advise?
> Thanks,
>
> Joe (joemagiera at Ameritech dot net)
> [email protected]

The official produced 32-bit binary, I believe, will not run correctly on an Windows XP machine due to default toolchain changes.
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/issues/4818

There is as site that has been attempting to keep compiling 32-bit for XP for users determined to stay on that OS. I'm unsure how long this will keep going.
https://messui.1emulation.com/
"MAME 0.215 (32-bit, cmd-line, for XP)"

I hate to say it, but if you intend to keep up to date with MAME, you'll need a computer that has a 64-bit Operating System - Windows 7 is even going EOL from Microsoft at the beginning of the year, so it might be worth looking into Windows 10 if you want to future proof a bit.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#384393 - 11/26/19 01:28 AM

> Running MAME version .215 on a Windows XP 32 bit machine. First time I try it I get
> this error message:
>
> The procedure entry point GetTickCount64 could not be located in the dynamic link
> library kernel32.dll.
>
> I tried searching the 'net for a download and couldn't find anything. I tried
> searching the forums here for help and didn't find anything.
>
> This same PC runs version .191 with no problems. Can anyone please help/advise?
> Thanks,
>
> Joe (joemagiera at Ameritech dot net)
> [email protected]

I've seen a lot of hate in other places due to this, but it's not something we can really control in the longrun.

MAME is compiled with GCC, it appears GCC has dropped support for 32-bit XP. Many other compilers never even supported it in the first place.

The OS itself is basically an antique at this point, so this is hardly surprising, and if anything I'd say support being dropped for it by GCC etc. was a good thing; encouraging people to move away from XP, which is a giant security risk at this point in time, is doing the public a favour if it encourages people to move on.

Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/09/16
Send PM

#384395 - 11/26/19 04:30 PM

In order to get mame working for Xp, you need to compile it with GCC 7.2. Highter versions will launch that error. Use the option NOWERROR=1 to make it compile.

FYI: Remenber you'll run an outdated version of GCC in an outdated OS. Don't expect support from the mameteam if you experience failures, crashes or freezes.

RETRODANUART.COM

joemagiera
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/16/08
Loc: Evanston, IL, USA
Send PM

Re: GetTickCount64 error help please new [Re: Tafoid]
#384427 - 11/28/19 06:17 AM

> I hate to say it, but if you intend to keep up to date with MAME, you'll need a
> computer that has a 64-bit Operating System - Windows 7 is even going EOL from
> Microsoft at the beginning of the year, so it might be worth looking into Windows 10
> if you want to future proof a bit.

I completely understand and appreciate your answers. The reason for 32-bit XP is so I can use my Data I/O 29B and then use MAME for the -romident feature (which is the only feature I'd use MAME for on this old laptop). I know people have run their Data I/O 29B on modern Windows versions through DOSBOX. I tried to get this going and didn't have any luck. At that point, I figured it was easier to just use 32-bit MAME. Security isn't an issue, it's not connected to the internet.

I complied MAME once before, but that was a long time ago. I tried compling it again recently and I admit, I was completely lost when trying to read the instructions. Ok, I admit it, I'm and old dog unable to learn new tricks.

MAME .191 works on 32-bit XP. I wonder what the last version of MAME that will work on 32-bit XP.

Joe

PM's turned off. If you want to reach me, direct email please.

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
[email protected]

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 193 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2244