View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Calab
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/15/16
Send PM

MAME is VERY slow to start
#384247 - 11/12/19 07:11 AM

Running MAME 0.215 on Windows 10 64bit. When I double click the MAME64.EXE icon, the window will appear. After a few minutes I will see an Initializing message. Another 4-5 minutes later I see the Loading Completed message. A few minutes later I finally see my list of ROMs. Selecting and loading a ROM takes a bit of time as well. Once loaded, the ROM seems to play fine. When I hit ESC to exit the game, again, it takes a long time to get back to the MAME main screen.

Video card is a Radeon RX 470 with the latest drivers. Screen is set to 3840x2160.

Any idea why this is sooooo slow to start? Anything I can do to troubleshoot this?

Edited by Calab (11/12/19 07:19 AM)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: MAME is VERY slow to start new [Re: Calab]
#384248 - 11/12/19 09:56 AM

Sounds like your disk is dying, or you have some kind of malware or something else slowing down filesystem access.

Roman
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

#384249 - 11/12/19 10:09 AM

open the detail view in the task manager, sort by cpu usage and look what's taking most of the time when you start MAME. Maybe an antivirus program runs wild....

rfka01
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/03/16
Send PM

#384253 - 11/12/19 06:20 PM

Is indexing your harddisk(s) running in the background?

Calab
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/15/16
Send PM

Re: MAME is VERY slow to start new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#384254 - 11/12/19 06:50 PM

> Sounds like your disk is dying, or you have some kind of malware or something else
> slowing down filesystem access.

That doesn't appear to be the issue as the rest of the PC runs find while I wait for MAME to start. It's almost like MAME is sitting there waiting for something to happen. The CPU is not under much of a load when MAME is trying to start.

Are there are logs generated by MAME, or a command line switch I can use to get a log?

I'm going to work on this issue a bit more today. Wish me luck!

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/30/17
Send PM

#384261 - 11/13/19 06:18 AM

I'm having that exact same issue but it happens less often. I'm also using Windows 10 64-bit to run MAME as well (having Win 10 installed on my SSD and an additional hard drive). This issue happens even though MAME is on my SSD.

It doesn't just happen with MAME too, certain applications do this as well (present in Demul) after the OS either runs for an extended period of time or something triggers it to run in some "low power" state. It's not understood what is going on but I predict it's something on Windows 10. Regardless, it's impossible to get the OS running back to normal without restarting your computer.

-.-

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#384262 - 11/13/19 09:04 AM

There's definitely a long-term regression in speed in menu browsing related to icon loading, but that's probably not even close to what you're describing.

Try doing a fresh install of MAME in another folder, set it to D3D, point the INI towards your ROM sets, and see if it does the same thing from that fresh install.

If it doesn't, slowly change settings towards what you have on your existing install until you see if any of them are the trigger.

If it does repeat the issue on a fresh install, I'd be looking at anything that slows disk access like third party antivirus or loading things off a NAS.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 325 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1688