Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

more Eeekk! goodness
#384144 - 11/01/19 01:44 PM

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/e109fac9acc1c46a48d6de30255ca98a144d742f

New working clones of spooky games

--
Eeekk! [Craig Anstett, Andrew Welburn]

(This new parent set runs on Epos's original Tristar 8000 hardware; the previously dumped set has been tagged as the Pac-Man conversion it is.)
-

Congrats to those that found original hardware version of the game and adding it to MAME source around Halloween timing too.....if that was being done intentionally that way.

I predict the Eeekk! entry will get a new edit.

https://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Eeekk!

Runs on modified Pac-Man hardware (made by Epos)...the version credited to "Magic Electonics" (Magic Electronics) (probably just a copyright screen change) has not been dumped. There also may be one credited to Eagle Conversions.

https://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Undumped#Eagle_Conversions_Inc

I guess that now leaves having to find the "likely runs on Pac-Man hardware conversion" licensed to Magic Electronics version of this game.....and hopefully the game will then be considered fully "preserved". If only, former MAMEdev (Pac-Man hardware extraordinaire) dwidel were around since that hardware was his thing.

https://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/images/thumb/Eeek%21.jpg/250px-Eeek%21.jpg

MrGoodwraith
Barnacle Clinging to the Ship of MAME
Reged: 10/12/05
Send PM

Re: more Eeekk! goodness new [Re: gregf]
#384145 - 11/01/19 04:17 PM

> If only, former MAMEdev (Pac-Man
> hardware extraordinaire) dwidel were around since that
> hardware was his thing.

While I greatly appreciate all that Dave did for the project, I was disappointed that, despite my entreaties for a group bid, he and the other MAME-friendly devotees of rare games on Pac-Man hardware all competed against each other rather than pool their resources when a PCB of this type came up for auction back in ~2003. One of the Japanese collectors ended up winning that board and it vanished into the typical black hole.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

Re: more Eeekk! goodness new [Re: MrGoodwraith]
#384148 - 11/01/19 11:26 PM

>> If only, former MAMEdev (Pac-Man hardware extraordinaire) dwidel were around since that
>> hardware was his thing.

>While I greatly appreciate all that Dave did for the project, I was disappointed that,
>despite my entreaties for a group bid, he and the other MAME-friendly devotees of rare
>games on Pac-Man hardware all competed against each other rather than pool their
>resources when a PCB of this type came up for auction back in ~2003.

I remember that thread on Gridle's old MAME.net web site. I don't remember exact year when that happened, but I figure you have that episode memorized in what year it took place since it was one of those of the 'ones that got away'. ;-)

I was viewing that as a minor 'bump' in the road and the game would eventually be found, but I didn't expect it to be another 10 plus years going by before that game was eventually found and supported.

AJR Hacker
MAME Developer
Reged: 02/01/16
Send PM

Re: more Eeekk! goodness new [Re: gregf]
#384149 - 11/02/19 12:40 AM

I will note here that the Tristar 8000 hardware employs one of the lamest protections against ROM swaps ever devised. Basically each game's program code starts by reading the coin port and then locking up the CPU if bits 7 and 6 fail to match a constant value. This presumably is implemented by bridging the two corresponding input buffer pins to GND or Vcc; if so, it can be defeated with trivial wire mods.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: more Eeekk! goodness new [Re: AJR Hacker]
#384167 - 11/03/19 01:32 PM

> I will note here that the Tristar 8000 hardware employs one of the lamest protections
> against ROM swaps ever devised. Basically each game's program code starts by reading
> the coin port and then locking up the CPU if bits 7 and 6 fail to match a constant
> value. This presumably is implemented by bridging the two corresponding input buffer
> pins to GND or Vcc; if so, it can be defeated with trivial wire mods.

I notice the driver was marked as imperfect colours? IIRC the colours on this are PROM based, are we sure it isn't just a bad PROM?

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

Re: more Eeekk! goodness new [Re: Haze]
#384189 - 11/06/19 09:26 AM

>I notice the driver was marked as imperfect colours? IIRC the colours on this are PROM
>based, are we sure it isn't just a bad PROM?

Assuming the fix is complete...

-
epos.cpp: Redumped color BPROM for Eeekk! correcting colors. [Andrew Welburn]

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/994fc674d6146201451d43d055f3e567fbd3122b
-

other stuff from the source src/mame/drivers/epos.cpp

Epos Corporation IGMO and their other game Catapult still yet to be fixed, but hopefully respective pcbs and roms can be found and redumped in the future.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 447 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 832