Pages: 1

DeathEngine2
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/21/19
Send PM

Capcom CPS3 WIP homebrew stuff
#383387 - 08/21/19 08:52 PM

Hi everyone,

I have started working on stuff that would allow the creation of homebrew for the Capcom CPS3 arcade board.
Personally, I felt the hardware was underutilized, and I thought I should create the tools for anyone to create homebrew for it.
I know about the SH-2 CPU, I did some 32X and Saturn homebrew before.
MAME has been a great help for documenting the hardware for me, as I sadly don't have a CPS3 board yet.
When my work is finished, I will start a development wiki for anyone to program CPS3 games or demos.

To-Do list for myself: Get a CPS3 board for testing purposes.
Figure out how to encrypt SH-2 code in the format used by the CPS3's CPU.
Figure out PPU initialization.
Properly document CPS3 RAM, MAME's info on it kinda confused me...
Figure out SSU stuff.

DeathEngine2
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Capcom CPS3 WIP homebrew stuff new [Re: DeathEngine2]
#383397 - 08/22/19 08:40 PM

I have found an SH-2 assembler to try and set up an SDK with. It is called SuperAS, and while it is very barebones, it does work (and can compile Saturn programs as a bonus). Now to document the CPS3 some more and eventually create some CPS3 libs...

DeathEngine2
MAME Fan
Send PM

Capcom CPS3 documentation issue new [Re: DeathEngine2]
#383450 - 08/27/19 05:12 PM

I have hit a roadblock in my efforts to document and create an SDK for the CPS3.
Unfortunately, from looking at the MAME source, I can't figure out much about the PPU for the life of me...
Does anyone know much about the PPU used in the CPS3 and how graphics are generated on it?

DeathEngine2
MAME Fan
Send PM

CPS3 Progress... And a new strategy! new [Re: DeathEngine2]
#383910 - 10/10/19 02:31 AM

Thanks to the generous Haze, I have adopted a new strategy for the CPS3 homebrew/docs project of mine.
I am going to use a combination of MAME and a real CPS3 boardset to speed up the process and to make the information more accurate.
While a CPS3 will allow me to test things on real hardware, MAME's debugger will allow me to dig through the code of an existing game to find out how PPU is initialized, how sound is set up, etc.
The problem is acquiring a working CPS3 board, SIMMS, security cartridge, and maybe a game or two. For now, I will be hunting down a CPS3 boardset.

To be continued...

DeathEngine2
MAME Fan
Send PM

CPS3 Video Registers documented! new [Re: DeathEngine2]
#384015 - 10/21/19 05:38 AM

Good News!
In a recent update to the MAME CPS3 driver, the developers have added a chart containing the CPS3 Video registers, including all PPU stuff and the SS RAM stuff. I must give big thanks to the MAME devs, this really helps a lot in my quest to create a homebrew SDK for the CPS3.

Now to put these in a document, create some libraries for my SH2 compiler, and dissect the CPS3 graphics format so I can test this through MAME and eventually real hardware.

MetalliC
Demul/MAME dev
Reged: 03/20/09
Loc: UA
Send PM

Re: CPS3 Video Registers documented! new [Re: DeathEngine2]
#384042 - 10/24/19 12:13 AM

welcome, but I'm afraid it is not much useful for your goals. these "docs" is mostly my guesswork based on games code disassembly and research. nothing of these was verified on real hardware, so registers/bits descriptions might be wrong here-there or everywhere...

for SDK development you still must RE bios/games, and copy from where exact hardware initialization sequences, registers access procedures etc.

DeathEngine2
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: CPS3 Video Registers documented! new [Re: MetalliC]
#384128 - 10/31/19 06:12 AM

Ah, I see. Point taken on the register info, will definitely test on real hw when I have the chance. On the subject of reverse engineering existing CPS3 programs, I don't know if I can do something like one of the CPS3 games right now, but I could definitely give the bios a shot.

The good part about testing this stuff would be the CPS3's storage medium, the CD-ROM. This would mean I won't have to make custom development carts, but instead I could just burn a CD to test my programs.

ozzyyzzo
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/26/21
Send PM

Re: CPS3 Progress... And a new strategy! new [Re: DeathEngine2]
#391405 - 07/26/21 07:34 AM

Hello,

Any progress on your SDK since then ?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Programming
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Pi 
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1889