MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

joemagiera
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/16/08
Loc: Evanston, IL, USA
Send PM

help with running MAME in DOS command line mode please
#383193 - 08/04/19 04:08 AM

I'm trying to do some messing around with MAME and I'm needing to run a very old version (MAME .135, 32 bit). But I imagine my question is still the same for the current version.

I need to run in DOS prompt command line mode. My problem is, for Atari trac-ball games, like Missile Command and Centipede and Millipede (and I'm guessing any other game that uses a trac-ball), I have to use the keyboard arrows to move the cursor around.

What paramater do I set to enable the mouse when running through the DOS command line mode? If I used MAMEUI32, it's easy to map keyboard functions, but I don't know how to do it from DOS.

My other question, and I think I know the answer to this ("you can't do it"), without recompiling MAME or MAMEUI32, is there a way to get the GUI to recognize a new game that isn't in MAME (.135). Let's assume you've recompiled MAME and added the proper driver (it works on command line mode). I'd like the GUI to recognize the game too, so I could play it through the GUI.

Thanks,

Joe (joemagiera at Ameritech dot net)
[email protected]

PM's turned off. If you want to reach me, direct email please.

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
[email protected]

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: help with running MAME in DOS command line mode please new [Re: joemagiera]
#383194 - 08/04/19 04:53 AM

mame centipede -mouse

Will enable your mouse as analog controls when you play Centipede.

Second question... You would need to recompile, with the additionally required GUI source and tools, in addition to the normal MAME source and tools, to have the GUI version recognize your newly added game.

> I'm trying to do some messing around with MAME and I'm needing to run a very old
> version (MAME .135, 32 bit). But I imagine my question is still the same for the
> current version.
>
> I need to run in DOS prompt command line mode. My problem is, for Atari trac-ball
> games, like Missile Command and Centipede and Millipede (and I'm guessing any other
> game that uses a trac-ball), I have to use the keyboard arrows to move the cursor
> around.
>
> What paramater do I set to enable the mouse when running through the DOS command line
> mode? If I used MAMEUI32, it's easy to map keyboard functions, but I don't know how
> to do it from DOS.
>
> My other question, and I think I know the answer to this ("you can't do it"), without
> recompiling MAME or MAMEUI32, is there a way to get the GUI to recognize a new game
> that isn't in MAME (.135). Let's assume you've recompiled MAME and added the proper
> driver (it works on command line mode). I'd like the GUI to recognize the game too,
> so I could play it through the GUI.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe (joemagiera at Ameritech dot net)
> [email protected]

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#383197 - 08/04/19 12:06 PM

Would there be any reason why you would absolutely need to use version 0.135 over anything else? Even a crappy old Pentium 4 will run everything up to 0.179 without issues (and with a decent AGP video card, even the latest version, which is 0.212 as of now - note that in this case you usually have to force OpenGL mode since hardly anything from the AGP era works with MAME's modern video card requirements). Having an outdated set of ROMs is not an excuse.

Regarding using newer ROMs with old versions of MAME, if they are literally only a ROM swap and no additional code is required (such as simulating encryption), you can just rename the files (and the zip/folder) to match a similar ROM set you aren't using and it should load in its place (with the obligatory "incorrect ROMs" error from MAME) e.g. if you have a SF2 hack and have no use for an older clone (or a Japanese version because you're used to "M.Bison" being the final boss rather than "Vega"), you can still load it but with the obligatory errors that MAME will display (note that frontends will usually not allow this however, so only the command prompt will get around this). Otherwise, you have to add the new ROMs and recompile it.

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

Re: help with running MAME in DOS command line mode please new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#383203 - 08/04/19 07:45 PM

Yep, If I were to guess, Joe has an arcade cabinet running .135 that he has added a tracball to and he needs to modify the ini files for a small group of games to take advantage of it.

The games he cares about work just fine with .135 and the prospect building a current mame with current roms and redoing the cfg files for all of those titles is daunting.

-mouse should do the trick,

Joe you really should build a current version of Mame on a PC as time permits for eventual transfer to the cabinet. There are countless improvements since 2009 that do affect the titles you care about.
Its possible those settings files can be reused. Just have to review and compare.

joemagiera
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/16/08
Loc: Evanston, IL, USA
Send PM

Re: help with running MAME in DOS command line mode please new [Re: Mr. Do]
#383208 - 08/05/19 02:06 AM

Trev & Mr. Do:

Thanks much! -mouse worked perfectly.

Is it possible to update some config file so that will be a permanent thing and I don't need to remember to enter it every time?

Joe

> mame centipede -mouse
>
> Will enable your mouse as analog controls when you play Centipede.
>
> Second question... You would need to recompile, with the additionally required GUI
> source and tools, in addition to the normal MAME source and tools, to have the GUI
> version recognize your newly added game.
>
>
> > I'm trying to do some messing around with MAME and I'm needing to run a very old
> > version (MAME .135, 32 bit). But I imagine my question is still the same for the
> > current version.
> >
> > I need to run in DOS prompt command line mode. My problem is, for Atari trac-ball
> > games, like Missile Command and Centipede and Millipede (and I'm guessing any other
> > game that uses a trac-ball), I have to use the keyboard arrows to move the cursor
> > around.
> >
> > What paramater do I set to enable the mouse when running through the DOS command
> line
> > mode? If I used MAMEUI32, it's easy to map keyboard functions, but I don't know how
> > to do it from DOS.
> >
> > My other question, and I think I know the answer to this ("you can't do it"),
> without
> > recompiling MAME or MAMEUI32, is there a way to get the GUI to recognize a new game
> > that isn't in MAME (.135). Let's assume you've recompiled MAME and added the proper
> > driver (it works on command line mode). I'd like the GUI to recognize the game too,
> > so I could play it through the GUI.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Joe (joemagiera at Ameritech dot net)
> > [email protected]

PM's turned off. If you want to reach me, direct email please.

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
[email protected]

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#383209 - 08/05/19 04:13 AM

> Trev & Mr. Do:
>
> Thanks much! -mouse worked perfectly.
>
> Is it possible to update some config file so that will be a permanent thing and I
> don't need to remember to enter it every time?
>
> Joe

Yes... I don't have an old MAME copy with me... but I'm pretty sure this part of the INI file hasn't changed much.

In the section below, next to "mouse," change the 0 to a 1, and the mouse will be enabled for all games.

#
# CORE INPUT OPTIONS
#
coin_lockout 1
ctrlr
mouse 0
joystick 1
lightgun 0
multikeyboard 0
multimouse 0
steadykey 0
ui_active 0

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 431 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 409