Pages: 1

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

props to Kale and the Seibu hardware progress
#383128 - 07/29/19 02:38 AM

No wip page update, but good to know some Seibu fixes here and there getting a couple more of the Seibu games running. (available for those that can compile own personal build) Likely won't be in official build till next month release.

If Seibu Cup Soccer can be emulated, consider that fortunate because I am guessing Zero Team is a ways off.

src/mame/drivers/legionna.cpp Seibu Cup Soccer

src/mame/drivers/raiden2.cpp Zero Team

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: props to Kale and the Seibu hardware progress new [Re: gregf]
#383130 - 07/29/19 03:06 PM

Yeah i've been following the Seibu Legionnaire and Raiden II hardware progress more or less from the very start i guess it's a subject i found interesting anyway nice to see SD Gundam Sangokushi Rainbow Tairiku Senki promoted to full working status.

Arcade Addict

AJR Hacker
MAME Developer
Reged: 02/01/16
Send PM

#383132 - 07/29/19 03:57 PM

> If Seibu Cup Soccer can be emulated, consider that fortunate because I am guessing
> Zero Team is a ways off.

Zero Team should be better emulated than it is. It runs on similar hardware to Raiden 2, but makes more thorough use of COP functions. However, New Zero Team and Zero Team 2000 use a less functional COP replacement and reimplement many of the COP functions in straightforward V30 code, so that has already been of some comparative utility. Specifically, I used it to improve the sprite-sorting DMA, though that also made the starting bikes disappear from Zero Team until I added sprite buffering as well. Zero Team still has some sprite priority bugs, though.

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: props to Kale and the Seibu hardware progress new [Re: AJR Hacker]
#383134 - 07/29/19 04:09 PM

> > If Seibu Cup Soccer can be emulated, consider that fortunate because I am guessing
> > Zero Team is a ways off.
>
> Zero Team should be better emulated than it is. It runs on similar hardware to Raiden
> 2, but makes more thorough use of COP functions. However, New Zero Team and Zero Team
> 2000 use a less functional COP replacement and reimplement many of the COP functions
> in straightforward V30 code, so that has already been of some comparative utility.
> Specifically, I used it to improve the sprite-sorting DMA, though that also made the
> starting bikes disappear from Zero Team until I added sprite buffering as well. Zero
> Team still has some sprite priority bugs, though.

Hitbox and enemy movements i think are the main sticking points for Zero Team.?? but as you mentioned
at least we have Zero Team 2000 and New Zero Team in a good working state, as for Seibu Cup Soccer
there is a working bootleg Goal 92 to fall back on.

Arcade Addict

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#383136 - 07/29/19 05:41 PM

>Zero Team should be better emulated than it is. It runs on similar hardware to Raiden 2,
>but makes more thorough use of COP functions.

The hardware protection Seibu was using for some of their 1990s era games is all the more impressive that it has lasted longer to this day in still making a few of the Seibu games not yet fully playable. Have to give Seibu credit that their 1990s era hardware protection worked very well in preventing bootlegs from appearing back then.

If looking back about 8 to 9 years earlier, it was impressive that a whole bunch of Seibu pcb owners were working with Kale and Kale's test patches that were written to see how Seibu pcbs were running. A lot of work back then to get a lot of the hardware documented. Crossing fingers that there won't be a need to do that stuff again with remaining 1990s era Seibu games.

> However, New Zero Team and Zero Team 2000 use a less functional COP replacement and
>reimplement many of the COP functions in straightforward V30 code, so that has already been
>of some comparative utility.

iirc years earlier someone had jokingly stated Seibu protected some of their earlier 1990s era games so well that they accidentally locked themselves out of the house. :-) It was likely either RB or OG that said that quote. Maybe why fewer functions were used when the newer games were released.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#383149 - 07/31/19 06:44 PM

> No wip page update, but good to know some Seibu fixes here and there getting a
> couple more of the Seibu games running. (available for those that can compile own
> personal build) Likely won't be in official build till next month release.
>
> If Seibu Cup Soccer can be emulated, consider that fortunate because I am guessing
> Zero Team is a ways off.
>
>
> src/mame/drivers/legionna.cpp Seibu Cup Soccer
>
> src/mame/drivers/raiden2.cpp Zero Team

But if we talk too much about Seibu hardware progress, will Kale stop working on it?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: props to Kale and the Seibu hardware progress new [Re: Master O]
#383152 - 08/01/19 03:13 AM

>> src/mame/drivers/legionna.cpp Seibu Cup Soccer
>> src/mame/drivers/raiden2.cpp Zero Team

>But if we talk too much about Seibu hardware progress, will Kale stop working on it?

It's only if the Seibu games fanbase started latching on to Kale like the monkeys do on first stage of Sega's Congo Bongo. If it comes to that and Kale has to jump up and down to shake off the Seibu fanbase kidz, then I can see it ending.

* jokingly yells like PacDude did on old MAME.net site years earlier, "WHEN WILL SEGA'S FONZ BE EMULATED DAMMIT?!. *

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#383153 - 08/01/19 11:13 AM

> But if we talk too much about Seibu hardware progress, will Kale stop working on it?

Jesus, dude, let me get some nails for that cross you keep nailing yourself up onto. You know what makes people stop working on things? Your fuckhead attitude. Shut the fuck up.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: props to Kale and the Seibu hardware progress new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#383154 - 08/01/19 07:33 PM

> > But if we talk too much about Seibu hardware progress, will Kale stop working on
> it?
>
> Jesus, dude, let me get some nails for that cross you keep nailing yourself up onto.
> You know what makes people stop working on things? Your fuckhead attitude. Shut the
> fuck up.

I was actually joking.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#383155 - 08/01/19 08:17 PM

> I was actually joking.

As a forum lurker and MAME user only (i.e. not a developer) allow me to say your bad tasted, tiring "jokes" also stink... big time!

I've never seen before someone so ungratefully receiving Konami M2 emulation after being a pester here about the topic for years. And you still keep going on.

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

#383157 - 08/01/19 09:21 PM

> Zero Team should be better emulated than it is. It runs on similar hardware to Raiden
> 2, but makes more thorough use of COP functions.

I was finishing zero team after raiden2 when Haze changed all the fucking seibu code under my feet and blew all my tracing code. Since then I haven't touched that code and probably won't. But yes, comparing with zt2k works.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 193 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1146