MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Guardians Of The Hood - game bugs or emulation bugs?
#382525 - 05/22/19 02:26 PM

I know that there are a few GOTH roms not yet dumped (mostly GALs) but after playing the game for some time, I've found some weird bugs throughout the whole game. Some of them are easier to find, such as exercise bikes 'flying' off screen after you knock down your opponent using one of them at the bonus stages, or if you knock down your opponent when he is trying to throw an exercise bike on you. But some are not that evident, such as 'instant kills' when you throw your enemy on the sides of the screen and immediately connects another attack on them. The screen starts shaking and sometimes, all regular enemies you were about to fight disappear, and you start fighting the boss immediately. And if you use the same 'technique' on the boss, he(she) will die instantly!

I've made a video of my 1cc playthrough on Youtube where you can check these bugs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJuSQaZWm1E

Watch the 3rd/4th bonus stages to see the flying exercise bikes or go straight to the second part of the 3rd and 4th levels to see the instant kill technique!

I've played the game with NVRAM disabled, at the default difficulty level and with all NVRAM files erased before playing it.

I swear I did not use any cheats, these are real bugs! I just want to know if they are emulator-related or game-related bugs.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Guardians Of The Hood - game bugs or emulation bugs? new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#382527 - 05/22/19 04:05 PM

> I know that there are a few GOTH roms not yet dumped (mostly GALs) but after playing
> the game for some time, I've found some weird bugs throughout the whole game. Some of
> them are easier to find, such as exercise bikes 'flying' off screen after you knock
> down your opponent using one of them at the bonus stages, or if you knock down your
> opponent when he is trying to throw an exercise bike on you. But some are not that
> evident, such as 'instant kills' when you throw your enemy on the sides of the screen
> and immediately connects another attack on them. The screen starts shaking and
> sometimes, all regular enemies you were about to fight disappear, and you start
> fighting the boss immediately. And if you use the same 'technique' on the boss,
> he(she) will die instantly!
>
> I've made a video of my 1cc playthrough on Youtube where you can check these bugs:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJuSQaZWm1E
>
> Watch the 3rd/4th bonus stages to see the flying exercise bikes or go straight to the
> second part of the 3rd and 4th levels to see the instant kill technique!
>
> I've played the game with NVRAM disabled, at the default difficulty level and with
> all NVRAM files erased before playing it.
>
> I swear I did not use any cheats, these are real bugs! I just want to know if they
> are emulator-related or game-related bugs.

I have a feeling you're going to have to buy yourself a PCB to find out. Literally nobody else likes this game, it's frankly amazing it even got released given how many games Atari canned over the years. (although I guess they did release a LOT of stinkers around this period by listening to public opinion / location test data too much and trying to make the games people seemed to think they wanted rather than good original games that they were known for)

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Guardians Of The Hood - game bugs or emulation bugs? new [Re: Haze]
#382542 - 05/23/19 02:44 PM

> I have a feeling you're going to have to buy yourself a PCB to find out. Literally
> nobody else likes this game, it's frankly amazing it even got released given how many
> games Atari canned over the years. (although I guess they did release a LOT of
> stinkers around this period by listening to public opinion / location test data too
> much and trying to make the games people seemed to think they wanted rather than good
> original games that they were known for)

It's also frankly amazing that this game ever got emulated, since everyone hates it so much...

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Guardians Of The Hood - game bugs or emulation bugs? new [Re: Master O]
#382543 - 05/23/19 02:44 PM

> > I have a feeling you're going to have to buy yourself a PCB to find out. Literally
> > nobody else likes this game, it's frankly amazing it even got released given how
> many
> > games Atari canned over the years. (although I guess they did release a LOT of
> > stinkers around this period by listening to public opinion / location test data too
> > much and trying to make the games people seemed to think they wanted rather than
> good
> > original games that they were known for)
>
> It's also frankly amazing that this game ever got emulated, since everyone hates it
> so much...

emulating things people hate is a lot more rewarding.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Guardians Of The Hood - game bugs or emulation bugs? new [Re: Haze]
#382544 - 05/23/19 03:02 PM

> > > I have a feeling you're going to have to buy yourself a PCB to find out.
> Literally
> > > nobody else likes this game, it's frankly amazing it even got released given how
> > many
> > > games Atari canned over the years. (although I guess they did release a LOT of
> > > stinkers around this period by listening to public opinion / location test data
> too
> > > much and trying to make the games people seemed to think they wanted rather than
> > good
> > > original games that they were known for)
> >
> > It's also frankly amazing that this game ever got emulated, since everyone hates it
> > so much...
>
> emulating things people hate is a lot more rewarding.

So does that mean conversely, emulating things people love is not rewarding, like CPS2 or NeoGeo previously?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 385 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 626