MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

RocLobstaAdministrator
Lazy ass admin
Reged: 09/18/03
Loc: SW UK
Send PM

20 years of Mametesters and MW (soon)
#382473 - 05/15/19 04:28 PM

Long time guys.

Did anyone notice the 20 year anniversary of when I dreamt up MameTesters a month or so back? Fantastic that it's still going strong.

MW itself is 20 in 3 months.

Oldest MW grab:

https://web.archive.org/web/20000520060854/http://www.mameworld.net/

Oldest MT grab:

https://web.archive.org/web/20000815230027/http://www.mameworld.net/mametesters/

Edited by RocLobsta (05/15/19 04:36 PM)

www.mameworld.info

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: 20 years of Mametesters and MW (soon) new [Re: RocLobsta]
#382476 - 05/15/19 08:07 PM

>Did anyone notice the 20 year anniversary of when I dreamt up MameTesters a month or so
>back?

iirc you had MT temporarily hosted on another site, maybe the same server host that had hosted Bobby Tribble's first version of UnMAMEd, and then the site founder had to pull the plug on first version of MT.

And then when MT was set up again later, you, KC, Shifty, and The Dog built up MT to be a little more efficient than the first time around. And over the years it got better with improvements over time.

>Fantastic that it's still going strong.

Yep. When MT had started out second time around, I enjoyed reading Gary Walton's text detailed text description of comparing MAME emulation versus actual pcb hardware and listing the detailed differences. I am glad Youtube came along and did the visual presentation making text comparison descriptions no longer needed as much these days.

>MW itself is 20 in 3 months.

*maybe another reminder needed later.* ;-)

I don't recall if I had seen the initial MW web site when it had started so I hope others that were visiting then have memorable stories to mention. I was just discovering non-commercial emulation in spring 2000 and only visited old MAME.net or JoseQ's Emuviews and also Retrogames.net I remember I was visiting another site, not Arcade@Home, but it was a site that was eventually taken over by Arcade@Home site owner (Tim Eckel) iirc.

I remember when MW had to find another web host because I thought things had to be redone in early 2001 once again. Reason why I remember it that way was in initial stages of being set up with one forum and you, KC, shifty and I forget there was another person were only ones posting in the first couple days on MW in early 2001. I had been on Gridle's old MAME.net site and then when I had visited MW the next time around in either June or July 2001, MW was a lot larger with Smit, twisty, Fazeo, jop, elgo, kitzel, Pi, Fever, Karasu, ArcadeEd, Mr. Do, eldio/oldie, Onyx, Gemini, Pete/kazzy, Secret Agent Man were already posting...pardon about not remembering all the other names that were posting in 2001 year. There would be occasional arguments with console wars or doing PS (photoshop wars) and Pi doing his pcpc+1 or Muerto posts. And Smit with laying out the old 'Welcome to Hell Lurkers banner' for visitors to see when they would drop in.

Reason I recall second visit is because Smit laid out the challenge to all posters back in late 2001 was show a photo of yourself or you will look like 'this' to me. The photo Smit was jokingly referring to was a dog poop on some front yard lawn. LOL The funniest photo was DJ (Sinner) had posted a shirtless photo of himself on MW forum post and then he quickly deleted it moments later. It was either Smit or Fazeo that was ragging on DJ about that. Crazy good times then in the early years where the threads would start with one topic and then 50 posts later the topic would be something else entirely different.

It was also about same time when I had sent Smit the cassette tape audio recordings of Kee Games Sprint 2 cab gameplay and Smit would copy data to .wav file and upload later so the Sprint 2 audio sounds could be used as reference. I had made audio recordings of playing Sprint 2 at a downstairs arcade (no longer there) at the Manitou Springs, Co Cave of the Winds tourist attraction. I was allowed to enter the arcade room to do the specific audio recordings before the tourist attraction would be open to the public. This allowed me to make decent quality audio recordings of Sprint 2 cab gameplay audio sound effects.
The manager was familiar with MAME emulation and knew exactly why quality audio recordings were essential. The manager had asked if the sound effects could be emulated and I told him of not sure when it would happen. The audio emulation finally happened in 2004 when Derrick Renaud had emulated discrete analog audio for Sprint 2 in MAME.

It was also that time in late fall 2001 when Fazeo was trying to remember a game where airplanes would appear on a giant film screen and player had to shoot planes down with a mounted machine gun. I remember that game, but didn't know the name and then I countered Fazeo with shooting at cowboys on a film screen, but didn't remember name either. It turns out the film screen games were made by Nintendo (forgot it was Nintendo products). Fazeo's game was Nintendo Skyhawk and mine was Nintendo Wild Gunman.

JWJr
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/15/04
Send PM

Bravo, Roc [nt] new [Re: RocLobsta]
#382482 - 05/16/19 04:49 AM

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: 20 years of Mametesters and MW (soon) new [Re: gregf]
#382483 - 05/16/19 06:08 AM

That was my favorite Internet era

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: 20 years of Mametesters and MW (soon) new [Re: Smitdogg]
#382484 - 05/16/19 08:36 AM

>That was my favorite Internet era

Forum-wise....yep those were when the hilarious fights and arguments would take place. And the photoshop wars were awesome such as infamous Fazeo's yoga photo and the skateboard shoes photoedited to Fazeo with one pointed in wrong direction was freaking funny. I was probably laughing for a minute or so when seeing that image for first time. The other photo that made me laugh was one of Fazeo's beach vacation photos where he standing on a pier next to a railing and was wearing shoes that looked like Hush Puppy brand shoes. I fell off chair laughing when looking at the vacation photo. I don't remember who it was, but they posted an amusing dig at Fazeo about those shoes. It could have been twisty or maybe it was ArcadeEd.

--
I was just discovering non-commercial emulation in spring 2000 and only visited old MAME.net or JoseQ's Emuviews and also Retrogames.net I remember I was visiting another site, not Arcade@Home, but it was a site that was eventually taken over by Arcade@Home site owner (Tim Eckel) iirc.
--

I wish I could remember which web site it was, but it had to have been linked from Timmy's Arcade@Home web site. I don't recall if the linked web site was part of Lev's ztnet network web sites he ran. The thing that made the particular site useful was the web site had lots of already emulated game snaps and I emailed links to my cousin and within a day or two later he eventually found out these images were created and he was already running MAME a day or two before I did. He explained it over the telephone and following day I then discovered MAME and was able to run Gremlin's Frogs and Sega/Gremlin Carnival in a short time thanks to JoseQ's Emuviews web site.

--
I had made audio recordings of playing Sprint 2 at a downstairs arcade (no longer there) at the Manitou Springs, Co Cave of the Winds tourist attraction.
-

The manager 'Sean' iirc was a fan of MAME. Once I explained to him why I was asking if I can make audio recordings for external samples for Sprint 2, he was saying "Let's do this!" and handed me $10 worth of tokens just to make certain all Sprint 2 audio sounds were recorded. The bummer part was telling the manager of not sure if the Sprint 2 audio sounds could be supported aside from the crash sound effect.

The arcade room with all of the various cabs was eventually replaced with some other attraction.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Bravo, Roc [nt] new [Re: JWJr]
#382485 - 05/16/19 08:41 AM

Cheers to KC, Roc, Shifty, and twisty too for all the times twisty had to put up with some of the craziness.

If twisty and Fazeo were still around, there probably would have been an NHL playoff hockey exchange argument between twisty (his M' Leafs) versus Fazeo (and his Boston Bruins).

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#382515 - 05/21/19 12:36 PM

Beautiful Roc !! Congrats !

Moose

RocLobstaAdministrator
Lazy ass admin
Loc: SW UK
Send PM

#383618 - 09/11/19 04:56 PM

So did anyone here even notice the 2 decades passing?

Tried to contact KC but he's MIA

www.mameworld.info

Budweiser
And you wonder why I drink !!!
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Arizona
Send PM

#383943 - 10/14/19 07:52 AM

Wow 20 years

Rehab is for quitters !!

Eldio
Resident Evil
Loc: England
Send PM

#384276 - 11/15/19 05:53 AM

Howdy Rocster. 20 years, bloody hell. Just swung by for my 5 yearly visit, was researching Game & Watch and was surprised to now see them in MAME. I see the same names kicking about so great that it's all going strong. I was the 5th person to register on these forums when we moved over. Member number 7. Still to this day don't know how that works. Hi Gregf Love Eldio (Mr Do just approved my name change).

P.S, just recently turned 40 so we are all relics now and need preserving too

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: 20 years of Mametesters and MW (soon) new [Re: Eldio]
#384277 - 11/15/19 07:39 AM

>was researching Game & Watch and was surprised to now see them in MAME.

A few years of progress along the way starting back around 2015 or 2016 with hap and Sean doing the initial cpu emulation and rom dumping, algestam joined in later for reading the rom data, and many various contributors (Moogly, Mr. Do and others etc.) and hydef and others doing artwork support.

See links for G&W panorama artwork support.

https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=116433&page=345

https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=116433#Post116433

Lots of support for various (LED or LCD) handheld items. hap did loads of chessboard games emulation earlier this year. The emulated item I like is the Casio RZ-1 drum unit that was done last year. It still has more work to be done, but it is somewhat playable.

If Fev's (Fever) were ever to visit again, he would see Pong, Pong Doubles, Breakout, and Rebound are now emulated in MAME

>I see the same names kicking about so great that it's all going strong. I was the 5th
>person to register on these forums when we moved over. Member number 7.

*my initial MW recollection*

I never saw the first setup of MAMEWorld since that was before following MAME. I first discovered MAME in May 2000 and did see the first site of MAME Testers around late summer 2000.

iirc the person, not ztnet Lev, but someone else was hosting the initial MAME Testers site, but had to pull plug on the initial site. The site owner was also hosting btribble's unMAMEd web site when it used to be on its own web site before Bobby moved unMAMEd to Gridle's old MAME.net web site. That is what I recall.

I had read about MAME Testers reopening again in early January 2001 and visited initial beginnings setup of second version of MAMEWorld where everything was at back then. I visited the site and recall only seeing names KC, Roc, Shifty, The Dog, posting on MAME Testers forum at the time. It was like a tiny old Loonybin era houseparty without all the craziness that would eventually happen a few months later.

iirc, I didn't visit MW forums again until around late summer 2001 and then saw where all the loonies left old MAME.net web site and were running amok on MW forums. That had to have been the first week or two where Smit issued the ultimatum of all MW members to show a photo of themselves or Smit would declare the MW member looks like dog poop with a link to a photo of dog poop on the lawn if the user chose not to show a photo of themselves on MW forum. LOL

I'll make sure to toast MW come January 2021.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#384278 - 11/15/19 07:46 AM

>So did anyone here even notice the 2 decades passing?

I mainly recall the second MW and MT in January 2001 where you and KC were joking around and Shifty and The Dog were also there.

Come January 2021, I'll celebrate that occasion. Round Table pizza and a Gremlin's Frogs manual, and a Nintendo Wild Gunman flyer will be in order for the celebration.

Eldio
Resident Evil
Send PM

#384279 - 11/15/19 08:23 AM

Nice. I'm still trying to remember. 20 years is a long time ago. In the late nineties I was heavily into Quake & Quake2 clans and servers, then I went venturing to emulation looking for games I used to play as a kid. Oh wow, Tombstones is still up...

http://www.tombstones.org.uk/index.php?page=14

Well that saves me having to have to remember What I do vividly remember is going down to the god damn pixel level, restoring those pesky marquee images. Lol.

Eldio
Resident Evil
Send PM

#384280 - 11/15/19 08:30 AM

> That was my favorite Internet era

Indeed J. Thanks again for getting me into Tenacious D and the Playchoice10 marquee.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#384281 - 11/15/19 09:35 AM

>What I do vividly remember is going down to the god damn pixel level, restoring those pesky
>marquee images. Lol.

And still plenty more actual bezel pieces, upright cab stuff, yet to be scanned and cleaned up/restored these days for emulation use etc.

SecretAgentMan
Loc: Illinois (Central)
Send PM

#384283 - 11/15/19 01:43 PM

The time just flies by.

"Go crazy, folks! Go crazy!"

Jack Buck

Eldio
Resident Evil
Send PM

#384284 - 11/15/19 03:47 PM

> > What I do vividly remember is going down to the god damn pixel level, restoring
> those pesky
> > marquee images. Lol.
>
> And still plenty more actual bezel pieces, upright cab stuff, yet to be scanned and
> cleaned up/restored these days for emulation use etc.

Looking through it all now, artwork is massive. fantastic work. Back in the day, it used to take me hours to upload a 10MB zip of images. Now 10MB is nowt. So these forums switched to this in Sep 2003. Trying to remember if we had stuff on retrogames.net or was it all purely on ZD?

PS, Jopezu's Domino Man song and Hanky On Mein Globen still make me laugh just thinking about them

Eldio
Resident Evil
Send PM

#390348 - 03/18/21 03:44 AM

Not only that but where the holy fuck did Twisty go? 7 years since a post. KC hasn't made a post since 2011. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Edited by Drahcro Eel (03/18/21 03:48 AM)

Eldio
Resident Evil
Send PM

#390349 - 03/18/21 03:46 AM

It's definitely Smitdogg's fault.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#390352 - 03/18/21 11:56 AM

>It's definitely Smitdogg's fault.

"I blame Lev."

The inside bit iirc, for newbies, was whenever a ztnet hosted web site from way back then would shut down it was because Lev didn't have domain name registration updated on time and the hosted site would be offline for 3 to 5 days. The "I blame Lev." was almost an annual phrase that was bound to be a quote posted at some time or another.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#390354 - 03/18/21 12:05 PM

>Not only that but where the holy fuck did Twisty go? 7 years since a post.

twisty has got to be on an NHL Toronto Maple Leafs forum somewhere these days or as twisty described his favorite team M'Leafs as in a (marijuana leafs) cannabis friendly way not to be confused with the original team name Maple Leafs..lol. That part always cracked me up.

twisty and I would argue as which team was better at beginning of each NHL season Pitt Penguins or Toronto M Leafs.

>KC hasn't made a post since 2011. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

It's a pisser. Same with Pi also not around.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#390362 - 03/18/21 11:18 PM

> > It's definitely Smitdogg's fault.
>
> "I blame Lev."
>
>
>
> The inside bit iirc, for newbies, was whenever a ztnet hosted web site from way back
> then would shut down it was because Lev didn't have domain name registration updated
> on time and the hosted site would be offline for 3 to 5 days. The "I blame Lev." was
> almost an annual phrase that was bound to be a quote posted at some time or another.

Interestingly he is now willing to shift the blame (linking because I can):
http://www.retrogames.com/cgi-bin/wwwthr...4676#Post164676

Will someone take him up on his offer? Doubtful.

He also did a minor fix in January:
http://www.retrogames.com/cgi-bin/wwwthr...sb=7#Post164690

I only saw this as I usually check on Retrogames forums like once a year. Generally, they just collect spam, but someone still occasionally does cleanup.

- Stiletto

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Send PM

Re: Bravo, Roc [nt] new [Re: gregf]
#390742 - 04/26/21 06:11 AM

> Cheers to KC, Roc, Shifty, and twisty too for all the times twisty had to put up
> with some of the craziness.

*laugh*

> If twisty and Fazeo were still around, there probably would have been an NHL playoff
> hockey exchange argument between twisty (his M' Leafs) versus Fazeo (and his Boston
> Bruins).

I'm still keeping an eye on you guys ;-) Got sucked into Steam bigtime, but still enjoy retro-gaming and my Leafs

Edited by twisty (04/26/21 06:12 AM)

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Send PM

#390743 - 04/26/21 06:18 AM

> Long time guys.
>
> Did anyone notice the 20 year anniversary of when I dreamt up MameTesters a month or
> so back? Fantastic that it's still going strong.

Grats Roc, I don't think there's many gaming sites that have lasted as long as MW has...it's quite something

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Send PM

#390744 - 04/26/21 06:21 AM

> Not only that but where the holy fuck did Twisty go? 7 years since a post. KC hasn't
> made a post since 2011. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

*delurks* I'm still here

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Bravo, Roc [nt] new [Re: twisty]
#390745 - 04/26/21 08:52 AM

holy, shit! How many years now? And it just now dawned on me? Twisty... as in twisting the end of a blunt?

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Bravo, Roc [nt] new [Re: URherenow]
#390746 - 04/26/21 09:14 AM

> holy, shit! How many years now? And it just now dawned on me? Twisty... as in
> twisting the end of a blunt?

Generally, one twists the end of joints. Blunts tend to get rolled, as they're more akin to mini cigars. But close enough.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#390788 - 05/02/21 02:28 AM

> Long time guys.
>
> Did anyone notice the 20 year anniversary of when I dreamt up MameTesters a month or
> so back? Fantastic that it's still going strong.
>
> MW itself is 20 in 3 months.
>
> Oldest MW grab:
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20000520060854/http://www.mameworld.net/
>
> Oldest MT grab:
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20000815230027/http://www.mameworld.net/mametesters/

Happy anniversary ya old bastard.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 156 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1599