MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Farnf
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/22/09
Send PM

Artwork ".lay" brightness question.
#382411 - 05/09/19 02:50 AM Attachment: berzerk-before-after.jpg 186 KB (1 downloads)

I Have an artwork ".lay" question.

First my conundrum:

By default MAME renders artwork (Bezels, Instruction Cards etc.) at full brightness. Meaning a white instruction card has the same value of white as the brightest on-screen game object.

I prefer the artwork to be darker than the on-screen graphics, to give the illusion that the game graphics (CRT) are glowing brighter than the surrounding artwork.

I've tried two ways of doing this:

1) Duplicate each piece of artwork as pure black. Then edit the .lay file to place it as a layer behind the proper artwork. Then "dim" the proper artwork using 50% alpha.

2) Darken the artwork files by 50% using PhotoShop.

Both methods work okay for me, but they are time consuming. Being a lazy fella, I'm wondering if there is a simpler way to do it?

Here is a before/after image for reference: https://imgur.com/gallery/9yCAGPM

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Re: Artwork ".lay" brightness question. new [Re: Farnf]
#382413 - 05/09/19 03:16 AM

If you look at the artwork files I have posted on Google (linked in my signature), they are ALL set up in this way, with every item except the marquee, the game screen, and the LEDs dimmed in "Full Cabinet Lit" view. That should answer your question.

EDIT: The "alpha" function isn't the best method for this because it controls only the level of an object's transparency, not its brightness. Better to use the r/g/b levels.

Edited by Nightvoice (05/09/19 07:44 AM)

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Farnf
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/22/09
Send PM

Re: Artwork ".lay" brightness question. new [Re: Nightvoice]
#382424 - 05/09/19 02:28 PM

> If you look at the artwork files I have posted on Google (linked in my signature),
> they are ALL set up in this way, with every item except the marquee, the game screen,
> and the LEDs dimmed in "Full Cabinet Lit" view. That should answer your question.
>
> EDIT: The "alpha" function isn't the best method for this because it controls only
> the level of an object's transparency, not its brightness. Better to use the r/g/b
> levels.

Thank you!!
I'm happy to know the proper method to dim the artwork!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 297 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 682