MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

The absurdity of the modern mame-clrmame relationship
#381298 - 02/28/19 08:46 PM

Sorry but it's time to make a clrmame where you just point it to your mame dir and it figures everything else out and sorts it out how a rational user would want it instead of catering to the .01% who might want custom options. Why is this hard to do? Maybe an alternate version called clrmame 1-button. Just assume the user wants it sorted how the pleasuredome torrent downloads it, roms to roms folder and subfolders and so on. You point it to your mame dir and it's smart enough to import hash correctly and so on and when it's done scanning you can drop in missing files from another dir and it knows where to put them.

Roman
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

Re: The absurdity of the modern mame-clrmame relationship new [Re: Smitdogg]
#381300 - 02/28/19 09:41 PM

yeah for sure you don't need all the complex stuff of it...and you don't have to.

people use the batcher and one profile per softwarelist and alll is one click...don't use the combined mode... the default options are enough...and you simply drag'n drop new stuff into the scanner...and it gets added correctly..

or even better....write your own tool

or use mamemerge...which had that one button...oh wait...it's not supported since around 15 years or so... ;-)

Your remark sound like "hey, I use MS Word to edit 'autoexec.bat' and why the fuck does it underline each word and why isn't clipart stored in the file'

so....go go go..and write your own little tool....if you concentrate on pure hash download/file rename...fine...shouldn't be so hard....commandline....and of course it should run on a Mac/PC/Linus...so go with Java....go go go..... I retired...somehow ;-)

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#381302 - 02/28/19 10:00 PM

> Sorry but it's time to make a clrmame where you just point it to your mame dir and it
> figures everything else out and sorts it out how a rational user would want it
> instead of catering to the .01% who might want custom options. Why is this hard to
> do? Maybe an alternate version called clrmame 1-button. Just assume the user wants it
> sorted how the pleasuredome torrent downloads it, roms to roms folder and subfolders
> and so on. You point it to your mame dir and it's smart enough to import hash
> correctly and so on and when it's done scanning you can drop in missing files from
> another dir and it knows where to put them.

No.

What you're looking for is TorrentCheck that can be found on the PD forums.

The majority of casual users don't even need to use a rom manager. You point the latest full set at your old set then the torrent client will hash check and only download what you miss. After that you can clean up with TC then you're done.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: The absurdity of the modern mame-clrmame relationship new [Re: Roman]
#381303 - 02/28/19 10:02 PM

Basically clrmame assumes absolutely nothing and it should assume absolutely everything. Nobody is going to write another tool because for one thing it's easier to just redownload everything every time than to do that or just paste in the update packs and assume it's all fine with no audit. The batcher can't even get through the latest mame, failed... Anyway it's a real pain in the ass of a program now and you could make it easy but choose to act like a cunt face instead and post some stupid muwahaha bullshit. Real nice.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: The absurdity of the modern mame-clrmame relationship new [Re: B2K24]
#381304 - 02/28/19 10:04 PM

> > Sorry but it's time to make a clrmame where you just point it to your mame dir and
> it
> > figures everything else out and sorts it out how a rational user would want it
> > instead of catering to the .01% who might want custom options. Why is this hard to
> > do? Maybe an alternate version called clrmame 1-button. Just assume the user wants
> it
> > sorted how the pleasuredome torrent downloads it, roms to roms folder and
> subfolders
> > and so on. You point it to your mame dir and it's smart enough to import hash
> > correctly and so on and when it's done scanning you can drop in missing files from
> > another dir and it knows where to put them.
>
>
> No.
>

Yes.

Roman
Regular
Send PM

#381306 - 02/28/19 10:11 PM

hahaha smitty....you made my day...

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#381307 - 02/28/19 10:14 PM

Please explain to me why clrmame doesn't assume the user wants to check all software and samples in their default dirs.

Roman
Regular
Send PM

#381308 - 02/28/19 10:17 PM

well, as in any program you once have to tell it where to find the files

surey I can scan all of your network drives, external drives and TBs of your local hds to find your mame.ini...but wait, I offer you a filedialog as windows usually does and you can point to your mame.ini directly...you go to settings, and hit import. tadaa...rom/sample paths set.

You really complain that you once have to setup rompaths...oh please...if you do so, write your own tool, besides of thism the batcher offers methods for you to auto create rompaths for each loaded profile...if you want to scan 123497123912 software lists....so setup ain't that hard..

but really...if you don't like Coke, drink Pepsi

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#381310 - 02/28/19 10:27 PM

I did say that you could have a 1 button version where you point to your mame folder and it does the rest. Do whatever you want, if you want to make it an absolute pain in the ass for people to preserve the sets to the point where people give up that's on you. Post another stupid reply with make your own tool nonsense please, it's so cool.

Roman
Regular
Send PM

#381311 - 02/28/19 10:37 PM

Actually I had the idea to have a very plain version, nearly no gui (call it one button), no support for old stuff like -listinfo output, no support for regions/languages/1g1r mode and all that nointro/tosec stuff...and I've started that like 3 years ago...very fast, based on pure pugixml dom data and stuff...

but hey...guess what...I neither had the time nor real motivation to continue it...(Sorry John IV, that I already had a teaser mail back then...it's dead ;-))

In the meantime users come up with way more complex or other ideas...and you're the first one who asks for a simple mode...

maybe one day, when the kids left home and I retired from my job I may find some time....

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#381313 - 02/28/19 10:59 PM

I'm not a programmer but it seems like it would be easy for you to add a button called Assume All and once pointed to the mame dir it then assumes you have the default spots for hash, roms, software (even if within roms) and samples and it just goes from there and gives you the missing box where you can drop files to.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#381316 - 03/01/19 04:11 AM

> Actually I had the idea to have a very plain version, nearly no gui (call it one
> button), no support for old stuff like -listinfo output, no support for
> regions/languages/1g1r mode and all that nointro/tosec stuff...and I've started that
> like 3 years ago...very fast, based on pure pugixml dom data and stuff...
>
> but hey...guess what...I neither had the time nor real motivation to continue
> it...(Sorry John IV, that I already had a teaser mail back then...it's dead ;-))
>
> In the meantime users come up with way more complex or other ideas...and you're the
> first one who asks for a simple mode...
>
> maybe one day, when the kids left home and I retired from my job I may find some
> time....

You could send it one of the MAME Dev. Who knows. They might import it into MAME. They can work on it continue on from there. We know that the MAME already have it own database built in. I don't see why not MAME have it own repack tool. I mean it does check for ROM's and such. Repack tool is left out from MAME. They should add a repack tool onto MAME.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Roman
Regular
Send PM

#381321 - 03/01/19 11:06 AM

Hehehe...actually you old cunt face give me some motivation to think about it....but don't expect anything anytime soon...as I said...real life is much more important to me as spending nights on coding....

Balthier
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/19
Send PM

#381329 - 03/02/19 09:58 AM

Gotta love how this guy whines about a free program being a pain in the ass. I'm with Roman on this one. Don't like it? Write your own program, or better yet, make a donation to the guy and maybe he may feel "motivated" to address your whining by adding a one-button feature, because you sound like a "SmitBitch" right now.

Roman
Regular
Send PM

Re: The absurdity of the modern mame-clrmame relationship new [Re: Balthier]
#381330 - 03/02/19 10:49 AM

can we stop/lock this. I know smitty for decades and know how to handle his wording in the forum...he got a point and I got one. no need to make this post three pages long....

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: The absurdity of the modern mame-clrmame relationship new [Re: Balthier]
#381333 - 03/02/19 06:37 PM

Real smart you dumb cunt, enjoy being banned. Maybe it's not a good idea to call the guy who runs the website a bitch. Go fuck your mom you piece of shit.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 411 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 731