Pages: 1

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

Arcade titles easily available but without a driver in Mame
#381194 - 02/21/19 11:38 PM

While I continue to pursue the odd absence of a skeleton driver for Williams Star Rider in Mame, I wonder what other titles are being ignored for unknown reasons.

I guess ok why bother with Laserdiscs when we are still working on backup format right?
Yet almost every laserdisc title has at least a skeleton driver.
So why is it a couple of titles get the shaft?

Star Rider
Time Gal ( dont know if these roms are available actually)

2 titles removed, incorrect info I my part

Are there any other classic titles that are dumped and available and yet lack a skeleton driver?
Obviously titles like Akka Arrh and Crazy Otto do not count.

Edited by TrevEB (02/23/19 11:07 PM)

Osso1
Reged: 10/17/04
Send PM

Re: Arcade titles easily available but without a driver in Mame new [Re: TrevEB]
#381197 - 02/22/19 08:06 AM

Two of those you listed have a driver:
Super Don Quixote: superdq.cpp
Galaxian 3: gal3.cpp

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

re: Galaxian 3, Drivers Eyes etc. new [Re: Osso1]
#381199 - 02/22/19 12:42 PM

I even made it possible recently to create multiple instances of the PCB stacks / video boards for these cases, which will be required for proper emulation of them as they use different arrangements of the same stacks of board.

Galaxian 3 even looks like it should be drawing stuff, but I don't understand the Namco video enough to get it to actually display

I'm hoping Naibo comes back and does some more work on them now that I've technically made it possible to move forward, but he's been silent regarding those drivers for a while. I think the 'networking' chip needs emulating as Gal3 seems to use it to communicate between certain boards, and Drivers Eyes needs it to talk to the side screens. Getting something to display on Galaxian 3 would be a nice start tho.

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/30/17
Send PM

Namco custom C139 new [Re: Haze]
#381202 - 02/22/19 04:05 PM

> I even made it possible recently to create multiple instances of the PCB stacks /
> video boards for these cases, which will be required for proper emulation of them as
> they use different arrangements of the same stacks of board.
>
> Galaxian 3 even looks like it should be drawing stuff, but I don't understand the
> Namco video enough to get it to actually display
>
> I'm hoping Naibo comes back and does some more work on them now that I've technically
> made it possible to move forward, but he's been silent regarding those drivers for a
> while. I think the 'networking' chip needs emulating as Gal3 seems to use it to
> communicate between certain boards, and Drivers Eyes needs it to talk to the side
> screens. Getting something to display on Galaxian 3 would be a nice start tho.

This chip is also responsible for networking between Namco System 2 and 22. Namco also made a custom C422, nearly identical to its C139, found on System 12, 23 and later revision System Super 22 pcbs (confirmed using a twin Cyber Cycles cab that linking a C139 and C422 pcb works flawlessly). I can't confirm if this chip exists on any Namco System 246 related hardware.

EDIT: Not related to networking but one request I would like is for that Namco custom C407 decapped for its contents added in MAME so SS22 video pcb repairs are far easier (now due to the rarity of this hardware). Same for regular system 22 which I would like to know if the no 3d fault is even repairable.

Edited by Hydreigon (02/22/19 04:19 PM)

-.-

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Namco custom C139 new [Re: Hydreigon]
#381203 - 02/22/19 04:52 PM

> > I even made it possible recently to create multiple instances of the PCB stacks /
> > video boards for these cases, which will be required for proper emulation of them
> as
> > they use different arrangements of the same stacks of board.
> >
> > Galaxian 3 even looks like it should be drawing stuff, but I don't understand the
> > Namco video enough to get it to actually display
> >
> > I'm hoping Naibo comes back and does some more work on them now that I've
> technically
> > made it possible to move forward, but he's been silent regarding those drivers for
> a
> > while. I think the 'networking' chip needs emulating as Gal3 seems to use it to
> > communicate between certain boards, and Drivers Eyes needs it to talk to the side
> > screens. Getting something to display on Galaxian 3 would be a nice start tho.
>
> This chip is also responsible for networking between Namco System 2 and 22. Namco
> also made a custom C422, nearly identical to its C139, found on System 12, 23 and
> later revision System Super 22 pcbs (confirmed using a twin Cyber Cycles cab that
> linking a C139 and C422 pcb works flawlessly). I can't confirm if this chip exists on
> any Namco System 246 related hardware.
>
> EDIT: Not related to networking but one request I would like is for that Namco custom
> C407 decapped for its contents added in MAME so SS22 video pcb repairs are far easier
> (now due to the rarity of this hardware). Same for regular system 22 which I would
> like to know if the no 3d fault is even repairable.

your posts on this subject are becoming borderline spam, it seems impossible to mention Namco hardware without you reposting about this.

I don't want this thread to end up being dragged down the 'why isn't Namco networking emulated' route. It is also not the place to post random decap requests (note, it's entirely possible the said device can't even be dumped, not every custom has ROM)

I was giving an update on the status of Galaxian 3, that's all.

I've already spent YEARS avoiding doing work on any kind of Namco hardware due to multiple people who would jump on the slightest mention of it and start spamming about it, so it's something of a sensitive subject.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: re: Galaxian 3, Drivers Eyes etc. new [Re: Haze]
#381207 - 02/22/19 07:24 PM

> I even made it possible recently to create multiple instances of the PCB stacks /
> video boards for these cases, which will be required for proper emulation of them as
> they use different arrangements of the same stacks of board.
>
> Galaxian 3 even looks like it should be drawing stuff, but I don't understand the
> Namco video enough to get it to actually display
>
> I'm hoping Naibo comes back and does some more work on them now that I've technically
> made it possible to move forward, but he's been silent regarding those drivers for a
> while. I think the 'networking' chip needs emulating as Gal3 seems to use it to
> communicate between certain boards, and Drivers Eyes needs it to talk to the side
> screens. Getting something to display on Galaxian 3 would be a nice start tho.

Thanks for the update. Galaxian 3 certainly looks fairly complex to emulate and you sure weren't kidding.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

Re: Arcade titles easily available but without a driver in Mame new [Re: Osso1]
#381217 - 02/23/19 11:10 PM

Sorry my bad, titles corrected.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Arcade titles easily available but without a driver in Mame new [Re: TrevEB]
#381280 - 02/27/19 06:14 PM

> While I continue to pursue the odd absence of a skeleton driver for Williams Star
> Rider in Mame, I wonder what other titles are being ignored for unknown reasons.

You're not new, you must know that repeatedly antagonizing MAMEdev about something is an excellent way to make sure it's back-burnered. LD games will be added when usable LD images are available, full stop.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 278 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 835