MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Llaffer
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/04/11
Send PM

How much and how difficult to replace old arcade monitor?
#381028 - 02/09/19 05:45 PM

Greetings.

I’m thinking about buying a Baby Pac-Man machine that needs some repair. The game in whole is functional but needs a new display.

I know nothing about electronics, etc.

How difficult would this type of repair be and how much are replacement monitors?

I’ve seen reasonably priced kits to install an LCD screen to replace the CRT, opinions on that?

Thanks.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: How much and how difficult to replace old arcade monitor? new [Re: Llaffer]
#381036 - 02/10/19 05:27 AM

> I’ve seen reasonably priced kits to install an LCD screen to replace the CRT,
> opinions on that?

Hahaha

Many a debate on that. Like some car collectors like a car all original, crappy faded paint, cracked leather, and all, whereas some collectors want the car restored to look like factory new.

Me personally, if you want to play it and enjoy it, go LCD. If you want to restore it as a retro-arcade showpiece, go CRT.

WAIT!

Did you say Baby Pacman? Sweet pinball video hybrid, dude!

Llaffer
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/04/11
Send PM

Re: How much and how difficult to replace old arcade monitor? new [Re: GatKong]
#381038 - 02/10/19 11:21 AM

Yeah. When I saw it available at the price, figured it was a good deal. I've not seen many of them in the wild.

I bought it and when trying to move it the bottom board broke off so couldn't use the wheels in the back. Right now it's in the garage and will likely need help moving it to where I want it.

So now not only does the monitor need replacing (and I'm not picky about restoring to factory quality, just something playable), but the base needs reinforcing/replacing.

I hope to get it fixed up and moved downstairs at some point so I can actually play what I bought

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 528