MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

MarlonK
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/03/09
Send PM

Freesync/Gsync and Mame
#380948 - 02/02/19 05:23 PM

Hey guys,

So with Nvidia's recent driver update enabling compatibility with variable-sync screens, and my happening to have a rather spiffy one that has a range of 40-144 Hz, is there anything I specifically need to do with settings to have Mame scroll in the game's native refresh rate?

What, for example does the setting "refresh rate" do? Does it tell Mame to move the screen at the game's native refresh? The interweb seems strangely lacking in Mame-related info on this.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Freesync/Gsync and Mame new [Re: MarlonK]
#380954 - 02/02/19 10:36 PM

You don't need to do anything if your software and hardware are setup correctly. Run any game and MAME will request that it runs at a specific (H) xx.xxxxxx Hz

Your display will run it just fine. You can test a game like mk and watch the attract mode to see if it's smooth.

MarlonK
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/03/09
Send PM

Re: Freesync/Gsync and Mame new [Re: B2K24]
#380958 - 02/03/19 02:52 PM

Ah...okay, many thanks for confirming.

Games that run under 60 Hz were fine (including MK). I was having issues with Pac-Land - which has a weird 60.61 Hz update - only running at 99%. It seems my GPU insisted on having my monitor locked at 60 Hz (despite it supporting 144 Hz). I fixed this by creating a custom Nvidia profile and Pac-Land now runs at 100% (not that Pac-Land has smooth scrolling, but at least it's now accurate)

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#380966 - 02/03/19 10:34 PM

Interesting. I've never had to do this with my hardware.
It must depend upon exactly which GPU and display are paired up, I suppose.

Calamity
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/30/11
Send PM

#380972 - 02/04/19 07:27 PM

> Ah...okay, many thanks for confirming.
>
> Games that run under 60 Hz were fine (including MK). I was having issues with
> Pac-Land - which has a weird 60.61 Hz update - only running at 99%. It seems my GPU
> insisted on having my monitor locked at 60 Hz (despite it supporting 144 Hz). I fixed
> this by creating a custom Nvidia profile and Pac-Land now runs at 100% (not that
> Pac-Land has smooth scrolling, but at least it's now accurate)

Just make sure your desktop's is set to the maximum refresh rate allowed by your monitor (144 Hz in your case) otherwise variable refresh rate will be capped by that one on your desktop.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 497 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 508