MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Crazy Otto
Code Monkey
Reged: 04/11/12
Send PM

Colecovision ROMs
#380511 - 01/02/19 11:24 PM

Hi everybody! I had an urge to play Cosmic Avenger. Anyone know if there exist CV ROMs with the menu patched out so I can use a more normal controller? Not asking for them, just wondering if it's something I need to do myself? I'm kind of wondering if I already did this, my memory's not what it used to be, and I've been gone for a while.

Dave

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Colecovision ROMs new [Re: Crazy Otto]
#380515 - 01/03/19 01:20 AM

>Hi everybody!

'Mr. EM hardware' arcade fan. ;-)

It's a good thing you were able to visit Manitou Springs, Co Arcade Amusements when it was a historical monument to EM hardware games. It has gone downhill and is not what it used to be. Very few remaining EM hardware games there when I last visited in 2017.

>I had an urge to play Cosmic Avenger. Anyone know if there exist CV ROMs with the menu
>patched out so I can use a more normal controller?

I am not familiar with Coleco hardware and also with my 2003 XP system, I have not updated MAME since .171

At first, I thought you were refering to the files in the hash file softlist section since there is a minor difference, but that doesn't appear to be your question.

hash/coleco.xml

software name="cavenger"

- Cosmic Avenger (1982)(Coleco).bin

Cosmic Avenger

rom name="cavenger.1" size="8192" crc="c852bee7"
rom name="cavenger.2" size="8192" crc="75da80eb"

software name="cavengera" cloneof="cavenger"

- Cosmic Avenger (1982)(Coleco)[a].bin

- 0x3fff : 0xff ('cavenger') - 0x00 ('cavengera')

Cosmic Avenger (Alt)

rom name="cavenger.1" size="8192" crc="c852bee7"
rom name="cavengera.2" size="8192" crc="58d86f66"

It might be that enough work has been done with input control mechanisms that maybe a patch bios Coleco rom isn't needed like it used to be?

Check source files, for some controller info.

src/mame/drivers/coleco.cpp

src/devices/bus
src/devices/bus/coleco

Maybe someone else familiar with Coleco hardware will later provide needed answers.

On to non-cpu items:

src/mame/drivers/exidyttl.cpp

-
GAME( 1976, deathrac, 0, deathrac, 0, exidyttl_state, empty_init, ROT0, "Exidy", "Death Race [TTL]", MACHINE_IS_SKELETON )

GAME( 1976, rhunting, deathrac, deathrac, 0, exidyttl_state, empty_init, ROT0, "bootleg", "Robot Hunting (bootleg of Death Race) [TTL]",MACHINE_IS_SKELETON )
-

The Robot Hunting rom set is verified as good from contributor f205v. The Exidy Death Race rom set came from a forum in which romset was posted in late 1990s.

The Exidy Death Race rom set might be questionable. imo I think a Death Race pcb needs to be found and dumped.

In case you missed these earlier / older posts:

Death Race versus Robot Hunting post

-
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

Re: update to old DU Update: about Death Race
11/28/14
-

Matt / blinddog was able to read the parachute prom from his Desert Patrol pcb, so that part is now complete and added to both Desert Patrol pcb rom sets.

-

Re: PSE Desert Patrol airplane targets image
07/15/15

I believe I got a good image of the parachute ROM. Here's what I see using the ripper program. I think I see a guy and parachute in there.

Re: PSE Desert Patrol parachute falling man images
07/15/15
-

The various PSE brand games have proms dumped and some documented.

src/mame/drivers/pse.cpp

-
Knights In Armor (PSE, 1976)
05/11/17
-

A PSE Knights in Armor cab was found in 2017 and I sent copies of logic schematics to Seth in case he needs to do pcb repair work. I don't know if proms have been already dumped yet. I hope so and they also get documented in MAME source code so it doesn't get lost.

btw: logic schematics scans of a few games were done and added online last year.

For Play and Meadows logic schematic pdf scans
05/24/18

For Play Manufacturing Co. Rally and Sport Center

schematics include sections for 1 player versus machine setting.

Useful for pcb repair work, but as for future emulation into MAME.....hard to say when that happens.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

#380516 - 01/03/19 02:09 AM

> Hi everybody! I had an urge to play Cosmic Avenger. Anyone know if there exist CV
> ROMs with the menu patched out so I can use a more normal controller? Not asking for
> them, just wondering if it's something I need to do myself? I'm kind of wondering if
> I already did this, my memory's not what it used to be, and I've been gone for a
> while.
>
> Dave

This doesn't answer your question, but in case you're unaware MAME also emulates the arcade version of Cosmic Avenger, which personally I never realized existed until MAME.

Crazy Otto
Code Monkey
Send PM

Re: Colecovision ROMs new [Re: Qun Mang]
#380520 - 01/03/19 05:09 AM

Yeah, I played that once or twice back in the day, but I mostly remember the CV version.

I'm hanging on to a Cosmic Avenger control panel, if I ever run across another Universal cab, I'll put one together.

Crazy Otto
Code Monkey
Send PM

Re: Colecovision ROMs new [Re: gregf]
#380522 - 01/03/19 05:15 AM

Hi Greg, glad you're still around. I used to hack CV quite a bit, I wrote a bios that would could read FAT and hooked up an IDE adapter to the expansion slot once upon a time. I was thinking of selling them, but I never could figure out how to make a case for it.

I still have my Death Race in the garage, it's still as dead as it was when I bought it 20 years ago, although I think I have collected all the parts I need now. Just need some motivation.

I still have Formula K and Breakout in the garage also. I didn't realize it when I bought them that the serial numbers on both are low, very low. Not sure how they ended up in a basement in Overland Park, KS.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#380531 - 01/03/19 12:44 PM

>I used to hack CV quite a bit, I wrote a bios that would could read FAT and hooked up an
>IDE adapter to the expansion slot once upon a time.

I am not familiar with the system myself. I would like to believe with changes in MAME over past couple years, modifying bios roms wouldn't be necessary with Colecovision emulation in MAME, but this isn't my area.

>I still have my Death Race in the garage, it's still as dead as it was when I bought it
>20 years ago, although I think I have collected all the parts I need now. Just need some
>motivation.

I thought yours was in working shape. Good luck getting it restored to working shape.
I am certain that the documented Death Race rom set in MAME will need to have a look over to really be certain that the roms/proms are valid.

>I still have Formula K and Breakout in the garage also. I didn't realize it when I bought
>them that the serial numbers on both are low, very low. Not sure how they ended up in a
>basement in Overland Park, KS.

I recall in a blog entry from a few years earlier, someone was in process of restoring a For-Play Rally pong cab in Europe and was guessing how a For-Play Rally cab would get its way to Europe.

That mystery was likely solved when Dan Hower (used to own TAFA web site, now runs Flyer Fever) purchased a European region marketing flyer (Germany iirc) for For-Play brand cabs a couple years ago. Buyers in European market could buy Rally or Sport Center in Europe back in 1970s.

As you probably know Breakout (upright version only) is emulated in MAME while only proms of Formula K are only documented in MAME for now.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#380532 - 01/03/19 02:13 PM

> but I never could figure out how to make a case
> for it.
>
I'm guessing the last time this crossed your mind, 3D printers in households wasn't a thing (if they were even a thing at all yet...)

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Crazy Otto
Code Monkey
Send PM

Re: Colecovision ROMs new [Re: URherenow]
#380560 - 01/04/19 07:42 PM

Yeah, was around 2002, I was unemployed and didn't have cable TV. It was a time of productivity that I haven't seen before or since.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 297 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 567