MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

So apparently Retroarch is coming to Xbox One.
#380444 - 12/30/18 08:23 PM

Sorta.

https://gizmodo.com/one-of-the-best-emulator-front-ends-may-be-coming-to-xb-1831379409

I really don't like this. This might get them sued to oblivion by Sega, of all companies, since they still sell some Genesis games via the collection they released recently.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: So apparently Retroarch is coming to Xbox One. new [Re: Foxhack]
#380491 - 01/02/19 02:47 AM

>I really don't like this. This might get them sued to oblivion by Sega, of all companies,
>since they still sell some Genesis games via the collection they released recently.

* Crossing fingers the fallout doesn't extend beyond the boundaries if something does happen. *

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: So apparently Retroarch is coming to Xbox One. new [Re: Foxhack]
#380612 - 01/08/19 08:52 PM

> Sorta.
>
> https://gizmodo.com/one-of-the-best-emulator-front-ends-may-be-coming-to-xb-1831379409
>
> I really don't like this. This might get them sued to oblivion by Sega, of all
> companies, since they still sell some Genesis games via the collection they released
> recently.

I just like the people who claim RA is easier than official MAME. If you want to play MAME in RA, there's 15 different MAME cores, each of which requires a different outdated ROM set.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: So apparently Retroarch is coming to Xbox One. new [Re: R. Belmont]
#380613 - 01/08/19 09:03 PM

> > Sorta.
> >
> >
> https://gizmodo.com/one-of-the-best-emulator-front-ends-may-be-coming-to-xb-1831379409
> >
> > I really don't like this. This might get them sued to oblivion by Sega, of all
> > companies, since they still sell some Genesis games via the collection they
> released
> > recently.
>
> I just like the people who claim RA is easier than official MAME. If you want to play
> MAME in RA, there's 15 different MAME cores, each of which requires a different
> outdated ROM set.

and on top of that, because they don't ship half the files and choose bad resolutions by default anything relying on the layout system is hosed, also anything that requires navigation of the MAME menu is a crapshoot because of the hacked up control remapping etc. (PGM2 memory cards for example)

anything using Softlists won't work either, again due to them insisting that MAME is nothing but an exe / dll file..

and in this Xbox One thing it sounds like they have to bake the cores in, which probably creates license problems for any of the non-commercial ones.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: So apparently Retroarch is coming to Xbox One. new [Re: Haze]
#380637 - 01/10/19 08:35 AM

Yeah, MAME on RetroArch is one of the things I always go out of my way to warn people it's sub-optimal in some rather extreme ways. If they ever want MAME on RA to be anything but a third-class citizen, they're going to need to seriously rethink the libRetro API handling.

As for RA on XBOne, I don't anticipate it hitting any of the non-commercial licenses because there's no fee for the product on the Android platform via Google Play, and you won't even be able to get it from the MS Store (it'll require sideloading).

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

smf
I've been here before
Reged: 01/16/15
Send PM

Re: So apparently Retroarch is coming to Xbox One. new [Re: Firehawke]
#380643 - 01/10/19 11:53 PM

> As for RA on XBOne, I don't anticipate it hitting any of the non-commercial licenses

The problem with bundling the non commercial licences in a binary is that it violates the gpl.

You don't have to sell it.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 208 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 864