View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU: ShouTime put on his Santa hat
#380250 - 12/23/18 08:23 AM

ShouTime dumped a prototype SSV hardware game from 1993 called Pastel Island

Hammy dumped The Legend of Tonma (Philko bootleg)

If you want to donate to the DU click here:

DU donation page

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: DU: ShouTime put on his Santa hat new [Re: Smitdogg]
#380261 - 12/23/18 02:31 PM

FWIW Pastel Island plays *nothing* like the flyer describes.

It's a 2 player pacman style game, there's no competitive element at all involving stealing heart points etc. at all (if you fire at the other player they just take a knock back and are invulnerable for a few seconds) and I don't see any 4 player link option.

Also there's no 'super magic hand' thing (which appears to reach out and grab things in the screenshots) it's just a pacman style game, you run into the hearts and pick them up.

Might just be because it's a prototype (Flyer is for an American version that might be earlier / later in development)

Other signs that it's a prototype are the powerups, because while there are 'P' and 'S' powerups, I see no effect from them other than score increase.

> ShouTime dumped a prototype SSV hardware game from 1993 called Pastel Island
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Hammy dumped The Legend of Tonma (Philko bootleg)
>
>
>
>
> If you want to donate to the DU click here:
>
> DU donation page

kevenz
Reged: 04/25/11
Send PM

#380262 - 12/23/18 03:54 PM

I'm glad this is dumped and emulated… I just love these prototypes.

Great work.

Diet Go Go Fan
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/18/06
Send PM

#380266 - 12/23/18 05:45 PM

Wow! Two of my top 100 most wanted games (Pastel Island and Magic Purple) in one release! When I first heard that a rare SSV game was going to be added, I thought it would be Deadly Sport.

SpinalFeyd
Reged: 11/09/17
Send PM

#380272 - 12/23/18 06:41 PM

This Is Cool :}

Thanks Shou

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: DU: ShouTime put on his Santa hat new [Re: Diet Go Go Fan]
#380273 - 12/23/18 10:52 PM

> Wow! Two of my top 100 most wanted games (Pastel Island and Magic Purple) in one
> release! When I first heard that a rare SSV game was going to be added, I thought it
> would be Deadly Sport.

When I heard about that too, here I was crossing fingers to be Pachinko Sexy Reaction 3. Still nice nonetheless.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: DU: ShouTime put on his Santa hat new [Re: Haze]
#380280 - 12/24/18 12:29 AM

So was Pastel Island ever finished, or is this prototype the only known existing version of the game out there? Were there any test versions that were further in development?

> FWIW Pastel Island plays *nothing* like the flyer describes.
>
> It's a 2 player pacman style game, there's no competitive element at all involving
> stealing heart points etc. at all (if you fire at the other player they just take a
> knock back and are invulnerable for a few seconds) and I don't see any 4 player link
> option.
>
> Also there's no 'super magic hand' thing (which appears to reach out and grab things
> in the screenshots) it's just a pacman style game, you run into the hearts and pick
> them up.
>
> Might just be because it's a prototype (Flyer is for an American version that might
> be earlier / later in development)
>
> Other signs that it's a prototype are the powerups, because while there are 'P' and
> 'S' powerups, I see no effect from them other than score increase.
>
> > ShouTime dumped a prototype SSV hardware game from 1993 called Pastel Island
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Hammy dumped The Legend of Tonma (Philko bootleg)
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > If you want to donate to the DU click here:
> >
> > DU donation page

Haze
Send PM

Re: DU: ShouTime put on his Santa hat new [Re: Foxhack]
#380283 - 12/24/18 12:45 AM

> So was Pastel Island ever finished, or is this prototype the only known existing
> version of the game out there? Were there any test versions that were further in
> development?
>

Shou is going to do some digging.

This should be the final build of a game that was never released, but based on this US flyer it doens't have some features that can be seen in the screenshots, and seems more incomplete.

I guess it's possible development carried on outside of Japan or something.

Or it's like LED Storm / Trog, where earlier versions of the games had more features / interesting game mechanics, and then they were stripped away for something more generic because arcade players were kinda dumb (and in this case, the game was eventually cancelled) The Android prototype discovered the previous year had the same fate, the earlier version being a much more interesting game than what it evolved into, with some debate over if the 'final' version was ever released or not. Player feedback based on limited testing is not always good for game development or innovation (some of the Atari documents about the development of Guardians of the Hood really highlight this and how obsessions with certain other games basically turned it into the garbage we got)

ShouTime
PCB Collector
Reged: 11/25/11
Loc: Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Send PM

Re: DU: ShouTime put on his Santa hat new [Re: Haze]
#380292 - 12/24/18 10:09 AM

The Japanese flyer is actually the same as the US one so at some point, this was the feature set. I will ask the original devs to see what happened.

> > So was Pastel Island ever finished, or is this prototype the only known existing
> > version of the game out there? Were there any test versions that were further in
> > development?
> >
>
> Shou is going to do some digging.
>
> This should be the final build of a game that was never released, but based on this
> US flyer it doens't have some features that can be seen in the screenshots, and seems
> more incomplete.
>
> I guess it's possible development carried on outside of Japan or something.
>
> Or it's like LED Storm / Trog, where earlier versions of the games had more features
> / interesting game mechanics, and then they were stripped away for something more
> generic because arcade players were kinda dumb (and in this case, the game was
> eventually cancelled) The Android prototype discovered the previous year had the same
> fate, the earlier version being a much more interesting game than what it evolved
> into, with some debate over if the 'final' version was ever released or not. Player
> feedback based on limited testing is not always good for game development or
> innovation (some of the Atari documents about the development of Guardians of the
> Hood really highlight this and how obsessions with certain other games basically
> turned it into the garbage we got)

Dumped: 3on3 DUNK MADNESS US, A.B. Cop JP, AIR INFERNO JP, AquaJack US, BATTLE SHARK Joystick, CRACKIN' DJ PART 2 JP, DOUBLE AXLE DX US, ENFORCE W, GP RIDER JP, GUN SURVIVOR 2 JP/W, GUNBUSTER US, GUNHARD, HANG PILOT US, Ikari III JP, JET WAVE JP, Last Survivor, MARS TV JP, MAZAN US, NINJA ASSAULT JP/W, OutRunners JP, Panic ROAD DE, PUNCH-OUT!! JP, Radirgy Ver. A, SPACE GUN JP/US, STARBLADE W, SUPER RANGER DE, SUZUKA 8 Hours 2 JP, TERRA FORCE JP, THUNDER ZONE JP, Western Express JP

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: DU: ShouTime put on his Santa hat new [Re: BIOS-D]
#380299 - 12/24/18 02:29 PM

>>rare SSV game was going to be added, I thought it would be Deadly Sport.

>When I heard about that too, here I was crossing fingers to be Pachinko Sexy Reaction 3.

Quickly went through undumped Wiki page days earlier (Sammy and Seta sections) and was guessing it was going to be either of those two. I overlooked the Visco section.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#380306 - 12/24/18 08:57 PM

>ShouTime dumped a prototype SSV hardware game from 1993 called Pastel Island

Clip showing what gameplay looks like.

-
[MAME] Pastel Island (prototype) (c)1993 Visco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meV9i1GI9Ug
-

A mix of Atari Crystal Castles + gameplay tribute element of Stern's Berzerk.

Some of the musical medley pieces are very good. On some of the instrument pieces, the music audio seems to have had real musicians in a recording studio (doing drums and xylophone or marimba) being sampled. The xylophone or marimba sounds (round 1 and 2) seem to have a better quality compared to what would have been generated from a keyboard synthesizer back in the 1990s.

Haze
Send PM

Re: DU: ShouTime put on his Santa hat new [Re: gregf]
#380307 - 12/24/18 09:31 PM

> > ShouTime dumped a prototype SSV hardware game from 1993 called Pastel Island
>
> Clip showing what gameplay looks like.
>
> -
> [MAME] Pastel Island (prototype) (c)1993 Visco
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meV9i1GI9Ug
> -
>
> A mix of Atari Crystal Castles + gameplay tribute element of Stern's Berzerk.
>
> Some of the musical medley pieces are very good. On some of the instrument pieces,
> the music audio seems to have had real musicians in a recording studio (doing drums
> and xylophone or marimba) being sampled. The xylophone or marimba sounds (round 1 and
> 2) seem to have a better quality compared to what would have been generated from a
> keyboard synthesizer back in the 1990s.

Yeah, the whole thing is a visual + audio treat

It's pushing the SSV hardware in ways nothing else supported pushes it

It takes FULL advantage of all the work done over this cycle to get all those line effects working. The entire playfield here is a line-effect, scrolling the closer parts at a different rate to the more distant parts, then you've got all the intro / outro line-effects as the levels start.

On top of that it's also using a mid-screen raster interrupt to split the screen (change scroll values) and in addition to that polling hblank / vblank flags to count scanlines for the effect you see on the region disclaimer.

Basically it's a tech demo for the hardware, and a real shame it somehow ended up being cancelled. With a bit more love, and some optimizations in places, it could have been a really nice release; early in the SSV lifecycle too considering there were games put out 7 -8 years later than this so it's not like they ran out of time to develop it on a dying platform as sometimes happens.

If you try running this in 0.204 it's an unplayable mess due to unemulated features, so it was rather good timing that I did all the work to add the effects for Dynagear etc. earlier in the month.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: DU: ShouTime put on his Santa hat new [Re: BIOS-D]
#380310 - 12/24/18 10:57 PM

The whole post was 1 short sentence. I don't understand when anyone would have time to think maybe it's some other game unless you sort of took a break from reading in mid sentence.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#380312 - 12/24/18 11:25 PM

>The whole post was 1 short sentence. I don't understand when anyone would have time to
>think maybe it's some other game

Seeing/reading discussion about SSV hardware elsewhere days earlier and reading Haze's recent SSV update blog, I was looking at entries of Sammy and Seta on undumped WIKI pages to guess what SSV hardware game could be added in the future. That's why others also were making guesses as well including this entry likely being the new addition.

-
[Deadly Spode] (Sammy [prototype], 93)

http://unmamed.mameworld.info/non_other90.html#DeadlySpode

While "Deadly Sport" might make more sense as a title, the Japanese katakana does appear to read "Deadly Spode". The original scan also says "© Summy 1993" though, so until an actual screenshot of the title screen is found I guess we won't know for sure!

More info from Shimapong:
SSV but unreleased. AKA : Street Browl. Street Browl is first title of Deadly Spode.
-

Some time ago, an acquaintance was asking me 'when will "Deadly Splode" be emulated?'

I didn't know what game that was. I had to ask him again about the game and he finally was able to point to a link to Bobby Tribble's unMAMEd page to the exact game he was asking about. He kept mistakenly calling the game name "Deadly Splode" until he realized what the exact game name was.

I do like the name "Deadly Splode". Sounds just as good as "Don Bear Near".

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Thanks, Shou. *nt* new [Re: ShouTime]
#380313 - 12/24/18 11:53 PM

> The Japanese flyer is actually the same as the US one so at some point, this was the
> feature set. I will ask the original devs to see what happened.

Beep

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#380315 - 12/25/18 03:35 AM

> The whole post was 1 short sentence. I don't understand when anyone would have time
> to think maybe it's some other game unless you sort of took a break from reading in
> mid sentence.

I'm not talking about this thread. I was reading the shoutbox at Bannister about "a Christmas surprise" and "rare SSV hardware game dumped by ShouTime" but couldn't catch up what they meant earlier. So looking at the undumped list I assumed hopefully it could be Pachinko Sexy Reaction 3. Then assumed it was Twin Eagle II (Japan) because "ShouTime has the Japan version" according to that site.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 203 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 974