View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1 | 2 |

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

MAME in 2019
#379999 - 12/12/18 08:00 AM

Thoughts/wishes in the coming year. A few of my own...

Laserdisc - for the first time I think we will see the "perfect" rips. I'm not sure if there is any major obstacles as far as hardware emulation goes. I was hoping we would have seen a sample of a rip (video game, not women drinking tea )

Are there any discs/roms that need to be found? Gallagher? Road Runner? Other protos or rarities?

Discrete work - I'm not sure what happened to couriersud. I know finding someone with the skills needed is very difficult. I keep my fingers crossed he/she returns at some point.

Not MAME related but M1 - I'm hoping RB will get "the itch" in '19 to start a new incarnation of his great little program. I suggest we freeze his pay and until he starts. :P

Handhelds - More great work preserving them. I'm hoping one day we will see Mattel games preserved.

Artwork improvements - Some sort way of incorporating artwork for mechanical games. Pinball simulation of some sort evetually.

Happy Holidays & thanks to all the developers involved.

Thoughts? Hopes?

Edited by Antny (12/12/18 08:05 AM)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: Antny]
#380000 - 12/12/18 08:14 AM

I think this topic will degenerate into the same wishing/begging we saw last year from the same people. But then when we look back on the past twelve months next December, there will be all sorts of absolutely awesome developments that no-one even imagined.

In 2018 we've got HP-UX 9 running on HP 9000/300 series emulation, and CLIX running on InterPro CLIPPER emulation. InterPro workstation emulation was considered impossible due to how rare, and poorly-documented the systems are, but now we have them running a desktop environment with full networking support.

MAME's also undergone some big internal changes to improve structure, help maintainability, and make the codebase more approachable for new developers.

You're better off just sitting back and waiting for cool things to happen. The only thing these threads are good for is laughing at just how wrong they were in retrospect at the end of the year.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#380008 - 12/12/18 02:57 PM

Honestly I'd be surprised if we ever see the laserdisc stuff (beyond what is already there) done in MAME, or at least done in any capacity that covers things people want to see, there just seem to be too many people who apparently need to be kept happy for it to be done freely.

The new tech being used to read them is very impressive, but I'm no longer optimistic about the stuff appearing as supported in MAME without throwing away project integrity by adding platform specific DRM etc.

I'd love for somebody to prove me wrong, but my optimism is almost gone on that front.

2019 will probably be mostly stuff that needs doing, is important from a preservation and documentation point of view, but basically almost nobody cares about, like this year. In the long term view it all makes MAME a much better project for newcomers who start with the latest versions, which is a good thing, but some just seem to want to dismiss the advances as unimportant.

> Thoughts/wishes in the coming year. A few of my own...
>
> Laserdisc - for the first time I think we will see the "perfect" rips. I'm not sure
> if there is any major obstacles as far as hardware emulation goes. I was hoping we
> would have seen a sample of a rip (video game, not women drinking tea )
>
> Are there any discs/roms that need to be found? Gallagher? Road Runner? Other protos
> or rarities?
>
> Discrete work - I'm not sure what happened to couriersud. I know finding someone with
> the skills needed is very difficult. I keep my fingers crossed he/she returns at some
> point.
>
>
> Not MAME related but M1 - I'm hoping RB will get "the itch" in '19 to start a new
> incarnation of his great little program. I suggest we freeze his pay and until he
> starts. :P
>
> Handhelds - More great work preserving them. I'm hoping one day we will see Mattel
> games preserved.
>
> Artwork improvements - Some sort way of incorporating artwork for mechanical games.
> Pinball simulation of some sort evetually.
>
> Happy Holidays & thanks to all the developers involved.
>
> Thoughts? Hopes?

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 *edit for 2021* new [Re: Antny]
#380010 - 12/12/18 08:09 PM

>Thoughts/wishes in the coming year.

Doin' mine later.

>Laserdisc - for the first time I think we will see the "perfect" rips. I'm not sure if
>there is any major obstacles as far as hardware emulation goes. I was hoping we would have
>seen a sample of a rip (video game, not women drinking tea )

Your unfunny bit grounded into a double play with the baseball batter having twisted the ankle and fell down while trying to run towards first base. Better luck next time. ;-)

>Handhelds - More great work preserving them. I'm hoping one day we will see Mattel Electronics led games preserved.

Some of the Mattel handheld led games emulated in Feb 2021. The Mattel led games using Rockwell PPS-4/1 were the only ones affected while other Mattel led games have been emulated.

-
Keep in mind this goes back to last year's post and which holds true at present. The Rockwell PPS-4/1 Hardware Manual and the Rockwell PPS-4/1 Microprocessor Programming Manual are needed.

-
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

Re: 2017 is almost over what do you expect in 2018
12/29/17

From Sean's January 2017 post

-
seanriddle

http://forums.bannister.org//ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=108486#Post108486

#108486 - 01/18/17 07:23 PM

I'm frustrated- I just got off the phone with the USPTO, trying to find another patent wrapper, but it seems they misplaced it. It's for patent 4165159, and it looks like the wrapper includes the Rockwell PPS-4/1 Hardware Manual and the Rockwell PPS-4/1 Microprocessor Programming Manual. But the file wrapper isn't in their system, so I can't order it. The only possibility that they offered is that maybe it was incorporated into another patent, but I can't find any that reference it, so I'm stuck.
--

ps: those damn Dallas Cowboys.....they're winning games while Steelers coach Tomlin is finding ways to help Steelers lose their ball games.

Steelers fans predictions former Packers coach Mike McCarthy returns to his Pittsburgh hometown and becomes Steelers next head coach for next season.

Edited by gregf (02/27/21 07:38 AM)

ClawGrip
Reged: 10/19/03
Send PM

#380013 - 12/13/18 12:49 AM

Kids video consoles:
VTech and LeapFrog: I already got some hardware (will be dumped soon), and I'd love to see it running on MAME next year.

Rare Spanish arcades:
I'm also trying to get some boards... We'll see!

Rare Japanese (and non-Japanese) TV Games:
There are tons of them waiting to be dumped and added!

Japanese arcade medal games:
Hundreds of unmamed games! From Konami, Hudson, Sega, Taito...
https://www.youtube.com/user/cocktailstage1/videos

Kiddie rides:
Sega Wanpaku Fishing, Banpresto Buu Buu Mario, Namco Pop n Drive, Spanish machines from Falgas... Hard to find and expensive to buy, but very interesting.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#380016 - 12/13/18 01:27 AM

>
> Laserdisc - for the first time I think we will see the "perfect" rips. I'm not sure
> if there is any major obstacles as far as hardware emulation goes. I was hoping we
>
> Are there any discs/roms that need to be found? Gallagher? Road Runner? Other protos
> or rarities?
>
> Discrete work - I'm not sure what happened to couriersud. I know finding someone with
> the skills needed is very difficult. I keep my fingers crossed he/she returns at some
> point.
>
>
> Not MAME related but M1 - I'm hoping RB will get "the itch" in '19 to start a new
> incarnation of his great little program. I suggest we freeze his pay and until he
> starts. :P
>
> Handhelds - More great work preserving them. I'm hoping one day we will see Mattel
> games preserved.
>
> Artwork improvements - Some sort way of incorporating artwork for mechanical games.
> Pinball simulation of some sort evenItually.
>
> Happy Holidays & thanks to all the developers involved.
>
> Thoughts? Hopes?

I'd like to see more work on the Konami M2 driver, but everyone gets hyper-sensitive when I ask and it's not up to me anyhow:

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=575

Outside of that, the most interesting part of the project I'd like to see more of is the decapping of MCUs. The technical explanations on caps0ff's page are fascinating.

Progress on laserdiscs would also be cool, but I know that's probably a pipe dream at this point...

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#380017 - 12/13/18 01:42 AM

"And I want a toilet made out of solid gold, but it's just not in cards now is it"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHnlKzGbqZc

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/15
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: ClawGrip]
#380018 - 12/13/18 02:22 AM

> Rare Spanish arcades:
> I'm also trying to get some boards... We'll see!
>
> Rare Japanese (and non-Japanese) TV Games:
> There are tons of them waiting to be dumped and added!
>
> Japanese arcade medal games:
> Hundreds of unmamed games! From Konami, Hudson, Sega, Taito...
> https://www.youtube.com/user/cocktailstage1/videos
>
> Kiddie rides:
> Sega Wanpaku Fishing, Banpresto Buu Buu Mario, Namco Pop n Drive, Spanish machines
> from Falgas... Hard to find and expensive to buy, but very interesting.

Also, rare Japanese kiddie rides in Spain!

Joe12345
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/08/04
Send PM

#380023 - 12/13/18 07:09 AM

>
> Hundreds of unmamed games! From Konami, Hudson, Sega, Taito...
> https://www.youtube.com/user/cocktailstage1/videos
>

on that I think that pinmame + visual pinball (or something like it) will be needed to pull it off.
Also there are some undumped US redemption games pushers and coin rollers. (some on pinball hardware)

There Are also newer bingo pinballs (with pay out hoppers) from Taiwan out there.

Edited by Joe12345 (12/13/18 07:17 AM)

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

#380024 - 12/13/18 07:52 AM

If you want to talk weird stuff from Japan, the Sega roller-coaster would qualify. Imagine trying to emulate/simulate that thing...

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: Master O]
#380026 - 12/13/18 02:56 PM

> I'd like to see more work on the Konami M2 driver, but everyone gets hyper-sensitive
> when I ask and it's not up to me anyhow:
>
> http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=575
>

That's because Mr. "I only asked two times" here has been doing the same forever, with the earliest entry saved here in late December 2012. You even had the guts to start a topic like this two years ago as a blatant excuse to make yet another request. For someone who keeps lecturing others about whatever happens when making requests, you sure don't follow your own advice.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: jonwil]
#380027 - 12/13/18 03:11 PM

I guess the title of this subject should be: "What are your wishes for MAME in 2019?"

Well, here are my wishes for the next year:

- the addition of more discrete games from the late 70's.

- improvements to the atari GT system, to allow Primal Rage to be fully playable.

- improvements to the scaling algorythm of the Atari G1 driver, to make the background tiles in Pit-Fighter to merge correctly, avoiding the appearance of vertical/horizontal gaps (ex. on the ship at the pier on grudge matches).

- add all Pit-Fighter revisions that are still missing.

- find and dump the Karate Champ bootleg board with alternate dialog.

- M1 arcade music player rewrite upon the latest MAME version.

And that's pretty much it.

Edited by R.Coltrane (12/17/18 08:02 PM)

Sociopathos
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/26/18
Send PM

#380028 - 12/13/18 03:36 PM

I want MAME to continue.

We cant thank the devs enough...

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

#380037 - 12/14/18 03:08 AM

Top 10 in order of "cool factor":

1) Support for cross-platform (SDL2) rumble effects for systems like the PSX (dualshock), N64 and PokeMini vs. the basic output handler support that currently exists

2) Model 2 accuracy improvements

3) Macintosh Plus/512 speed fixes to resolve this issue

4) More accurate Cave CV1000B timing

5) BGFX vector bloom

6) Bezel graphics for Tiger LCD and other handheld games

7) Votrax/SC-01 improvements

8 ) Vectrex artwork improvements

9) More accurate NES (PPU) and PCE-CD emulation

10) N64 speed optimizations

As with last year's wish list, most of these aren't entirely practical and I'm certainly not expecting anything here anyway, though it's fun to imagine. With that said, some of mine from last year (QSound, Mr. Do's Rygar bezel) came true, so who knows..

Edited by Shoegazr (12/14/18 09:16 PM)

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#380038 - 12/14/18 06:05 AM

That this year I find out I am not crazy and that alt version of choplifter is found! I do not even *like* choplifter...

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/30/17
Send PM

#380044 - 12/14/18 04:21 PM

> I'd like to see more work on the Konami M2 driver, but everyone gets hyper-sensitive
>
>
> Outside of that, the most interesting part of the project I'd like to see more of is
> the decapping of MCUs. The technical explanations on caps0ff's page are fascinating.
>
> Progress on laserdiscs would also be cool, but I know that's probably a pipe dream at
> this point...

A user named awbacon has sent some redumps of some Konami m2 discs to potentially replace the current bad dumps. I would like to know if some Mame devs have got those dumps or not.

-.-

Haze
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: Hydreigon]
#380045 - 12/14/18 04:36 PM

> > I'd like to see more work on the Konami M2 driver, but everyone gets
> hyper-sensitive
> > when I ask and it's not up to me anyhow:
> >
> > http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=575
> >
> > Outside of that, the most interesting part of the project I'd like to see more of
> is
> > the decapping of MCUs. The technical explanations on caps0ff's page are
> fascinating.
> >
> > Progress on laserdiscs would also be cool, but I know that's probably a pipe dream
> at
> > this point...
>
> A user named awbacon has sent some redumps of some Konami m2 discs to potentially
> replace the current bad dumps. I would like to know if some Mame devs have got those
> dumps or not.

I'm pretty sure they were only marked as BAD_DUMP in the first place because they were converted using an old version of CHDMAN and also not dumped to any verified dumping group standard.

CD dumping is a mess.

I am also afraid of replying here because I feel like I'm opening myself to being spammed about the topic / M2 / whatever else. That is not my field.

AJR Hacker
MAME Developer
Reged: 02/01/16
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: lharms]
#380046 - 12/14/18 04:44 PM

> That this year I find out I am not crazy and that alt version of choplifter is found!
> I do not even *like* choplifter...

Maybe it'll be discovered to be running on the Cedar Magnet system. Then you really won't like it...

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: Shoegazr]
#380047 - 12/14/18 07:44 PM

> 5) HLSL vector bloom
> Vectrex artwork improvements

HLSL vector bloom exists, but you probably mean its missing on the BGFX side.

I dont know, but i have send all my Vectrex artwork to Mr. Do, with just 2 or 3 games missing, that i could not finish, because i have no time to do that stuff currently. But every other official games are finished in decent quality. I know it would be cool, if we would have them all, but 95% percent is better than nothing or that awful bullshit we currently have.

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: Haze]
#380048 - 12/14/18 08:28 PM

> I'm pretty sure they were only marked as BAD_DUMP in the first place because they
> were converted using an old version of CHDMAN and also not dumped to any verified
> dumping group standard.
>
> CD dumping is a mess.
>
> I am also afraid of replying here because I feel like I'm opening myself to being
> spammed about the topic / M2 / whatever else. That is not my field.

I think a lot of us are afraid of replying here too. At the same time, there are some discoveries and concerns that need to be addressed.

Edited by Hydreigon (12/14/18 08:29 PM)

-.-

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: uman]
#380050 - 12/14/18 09:21 PM

> HLSL vector bloom exists, but you probably mean its missing on the BGFX side.

Fixed, thanks.

> I dont know, but i have send all my Vectrex artwork to Mr. Do, with just 2 or 3 games
> missing, that i could not finish, because i have no time to do that stuff currently.
> But every other official games are finished in decent quality. I know it would be
> cool, if we would have them all, but 95% percent is better than nothing or that awful
> bullshit we currently have.

Oh cool, that's great news. I agree 95% is better - and yeah, the stuff we have now is a serious eyesore. I know Mr. Do has been pretty busy lately himself, so have patience and faith and we'll get steamrollered in time I'm sure.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#380053 - 12/14/18 11:48 PM

> > I'm pretty sure they were only marked as BAD_DUMP in the first place because they
> > were converted using an old version of CHDMAN and also not dumped to any verified
> > dumping group standard.
> >
> > CD dumping is a mess.
> >
> > I am also afraid of replying here because I feel like I'm opening myself to being
> > spammed about the topic / M2 / whatever else. That is not my field.
>
> I think a lot of us are afraid of replying here too. At the same time, there are some
> discoveries and concerns that need to be addressed.

Nobody "needs" to do anything. If you want it addressed, address it yourself.

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Michigan, USA
Send PM

#380091 - 12/17/18 03:49 PM

> 7) Votrax/SC-01 improvements

This one is in my wish list, to give Kung-Fu Master's hero his voice after losing it while filming Drunken Master.

Haze
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: "The Manuel"]
#380094 - 12/17/18 08:12 PM

> > 7) Votrax/SC-01 improvements
>
> This one is in my wish list, to give Kung-Fu Master's hero his voice after losing it
> while filming Drunken Master.

Unless I'm missing a reference.. Kung-Fu Master doesn't use a Votrax?

It's the sound chip on Gorf, and a major reason people are rejecting current versions because the sound has regressed so much over the samples.

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Send PM

#380095 - 12/17/18 09:16 PM

> It's the sound chip on Gorf, and a major reason people are rejecting current versions
> because the sound has regressed so much over the samples.

And to be clear, I'm not rejecting it - I actually prefer the current state over the preceding sampled state, it would just be great to hear it at sonic parity with that state.

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

#380096 - 12/17/18 09:53 PM

I stand corrected; it is the discrete sound board that makes the punch/kick sounds and voices sound to quiet and muffled.

There is a whole discussion about it here.

I guess I'll put that on my wishlist.

Haze
Send PM

#380097 - 12/17/18 09:58 PM

> I stand corrected; it is the discrete sound board that makes the punch/kick sounds
> and voices sound to quiet and muffled.
>
> There is a whole discussion about it here.
>
> I guess I'll put that on my wishlist.

I'd be very surprised if there's any movement on the discrete stuff, the dev involved has basically been inactive for a while.

Also I'm not even sure he knows why everything is so muffled now, but yeah, it does seem that anything that runs through the netlist system does seem to end up being unclear.

MAME's sound engine as a whole probably needs an overhaul too, there are all sorts of issues with mixing in signals from plugable devices (as the sounds just all add together and saturate / clip) Not being able to output to more than 2 physical speakers (or the user having control over what goes to which speaker) DC Offsets, and things generally not sounding as good in many cases as they used to for reasons nobody seems entirely sure about / sure how to solve (eg even Ghosts n Goblins, or the problem in some Taito SJ system games)

While there have been massive advanced in many areas, sound does seem to be behind for some of the older platforms.

(yes, I'm aware there have been some major improvements in sound emulation too, like Qsound and the ZSG2 stuff, but quite a few of the older emulations have issues)

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#380098 - 12/17/18 10:19 PM

My only immediate wish is that they enable the sound samples for q*bert again, until they get the official sounds fixed. In it's current state, you're just better off muting all sounds

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

#380101 - 12/17/18 10:33 PM

Yeah, I noticed that couriersd had not submitted any code since May of last year. Thanks for the detailed feedback on this. I'm going to start maintaining an older version of MAME for this game and Q-bert for the foreseeable future.

By the way, the new Qsound code is amazing. I forgot what that sounded like after years of not playing CPS games in a real arcade machine.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#380105 - 12/18/18 12:55 AM

I estimated previously that it'll be 2020 before we see mass results from the LD project and I stand by that based on their current results (it's still early days for their software decoder, and someone will probably need to port it to shaders). They're doing great work, but they're also not artificially rushing it.

Because the Daphne guys are involved, there is access to literally all of the laserdiscs to get re-ripped in the final format so that's not a problem.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#380106 - 12/18/18 12:59 AM

> I think a lot of us are afraid of replying here too. At the same time, there are some
> discoveries and concerns that need to be addressed.

The game was fully playable from the previous rip by the chosen few (not me), this redump is just MAME housekeeping.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#380107 - 12/18/18 01:01 AM

> 1) Support for cross-platform (SDL2) rumble effects for systems like the PSX
> (dualshock), N64 and PokeMini vs. the basic output handler support that currently
> exists

I'm glad someone was paying attention to my secretive checkins.

If you're on SDL2, on current MAME you can run with -verbose and see if SDL supports rumble effects for your controllers. That doesn't mean any actual game drivers support it yet, but it lets you tell if your hardware is gonna work.

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#380121 - 12/18/18 08:30 AM

Just a couple wishes:

Rush 2049: Sound synced with graphics
Midway’s HydroThunder, ArticThunder, OffRoad Thunder playable
Off course more LDs

Some magic sauce that gets Williams Revenge from Mars working.
I think Zen Pinball can pull this off.

Scoring Millions in Battlezone:
Someone finally figures out why it happens or at least manages to catch it happening on film.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: R. Belmont]
#380124 - 12/18/18 10:09 AM

>>Laserdisc - for the first time

>I estimated previously that it'll be 2020 before we see mass results from the LD project
>and I stand by that based on their current results (it's still early days for their
>software decoder, and someone will probably need to port it to shaders). They're doing
>great work, but they're also not artificially rushing it.

Not surprised it will take some more time before this becomes a reality, but looking forward to seeing this happen when it does take place.

*wants to see Mad Dog McCree preserved*

>Because the Daphne guys are involved, there is access to literally all of the laserdiscs
>to get re-ripped in the final format so that's not a problem.

Good to know WarrenO is offering input since those older era laserdiscs need to be preserved as best possible while still possible.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#380126 - 12/18/18 11:19 AM

>Thoughts/wishes in the coming year. A few of my own...

>Laserdisc -

I agree with RB's post. Another year or two away before actual results of discs being captured in a format that everyone can agree on does happen. Still in a race to preserve the discs while still possible.

>Discrete / netlist work.

I'll take any progress including roms of non-cpu games being dumped and documented in MAME such as Sega's Fonz was earlier this year. Fonz proms being dumped and supported in MAME was important since pcbs of Sega non-cpu games outside of Monaco GP are a rareity imo.

>Artwork improvements - Some sort way of incorporating artwork for mechanical games.

There have been a few work-a-rounds that were done with current artwork rendering for some of the games that were added in past couple years.

For 2018, the unexpected contributions primarily from Spain/Espana (El Fin.., Magic Purple, etc.) was a big win for this year. Andy W. getting Sega's Fonz proms being documented was also important. Haze documenting and improving Xavix products near to where some being almost emulated to a working state is another thing. The ongoing Apple II floppy disk (woz) preservation was also important. The emulation improvements of SGI systems, some mini computers along with some mainframe emulation as well. ShouTime finding and adding a couple hard-to-find games. And lastly my specific favorite was Casio drum machine emulation from earlier this year. That alone wants to make me update to a newer version of MAME by itself even though my 2003 Sony Vaio WinXp 32-bit system can barely run current versions of MAME.

For next year's predictions:

Haze still working on Xavix stuff.
Sean, hap, and crew getting more lcd based handheld items emulated.
ShouTime, and contributors from Spain, and DU still finding and adding more stuff.
capsoff and Team Europe still doing their respective chips work.
more mainframe related improvements
Pernod getting more BBC stuff emulated
ongoing Apple II floppies being preserved (envious of their achievements from a DOS IBM'r here)

Next year's wishlist:

*approves the current various netlist updates*
roms and proms being dumped from more non-cpu games (Exidy Death Race and PSE Knights in Armor or at least PSE Maneater). Has to be someone out there with a Maneater pcb that knows what to dump from a Maneater pcb.

Any PEPlus titles being preserved.
More IBM software of boot up only games being preserved
ShouTime finding anything

And maybe Vertexer roms turning up along with a preliminary skeleton driver.

Edited by gregf (01/07/19 11:28 AM)

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

#380136 - 12/18/18 03:27 PM

> I'd be very surprised if there's any movement on the discrete stuff, the dev involved
> has basically been inactive for a while.
>
> Also I'm not even sure he knows why everything is so muffled now, but yeah, it does
> seem that anything that runs through the netlist system does seem to end up being
> unclear.

If I grabbed the driver code from version 0.162 before these changes to the sound happened, could I just drop it in, in place of the driver code for 0.204 and compile it, or has too much changed in MAME that I would actually need to know what I'm doing to implement the old code?

Edited by "The Manuel" (12/18/18 06:06 PM)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#380141 - 12/18/18 05:57 PM

> If I grabbed the driver code from version 0.162 before these changes to the sound
> happened, could I just drop it in, in place of the driver code for 0.204 and compile
> it

God no, you couldn't.

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#380142 - 12/18/18 06:08 PM

Alright. Thanks for steering me away from a sure waste of time.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#380158 - 12/18/18 11:01 PM

>> I'd be very surprised if there's any movement on the discrete stuff, the dev involved
>> has basically been inactive for a while.
>
>> Also I'm not even sure he knows why everything is so muffled now, but yeah, it does
>> seem that anything that runs through the netlist system does seem to end up being
>> unclear.

>If I grabbed the driver code from version 0.162 before these changes to the sound
>happened, could I just drop it in, in place of the driver code for 0.204 and compile it,
>or has too much changed in MAME that I would actually need to know what I'm doing to
>implement the old code?

Moogly is correct.

This -> "Or has too much changed in MAME that I would actually need to know what I'm doing to implement the old code?"

It is possible to backtrack code changes from a few years earlier to see what changed, but there are 10 to 15 hurdles to have to clear first even if someone was able to fix the code or do some reverting and that means having to first mess around with old code first to find the fix. If lucky to fix the bug with older versions of MAME, then it would take more luck to get old code compatible with new code of MAME. How much spare time willing to spend doing all of that?

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: gregf]
#380160 - 12/19/18 12:38 AM

In this case I believe it is not a bug per se, but simply that portions of the audio was using samples, whereas now the original discrete logic circuitry is being emulated, albeit with some volume/pitch issues.

But yeah, it's certainly not worth anybody's time to go back and figure out how to implement the old code if it is that difficult. I'll just use an older version of MAME, once I can find a set of HLSL parameters that works with that version and looks as good as what I'm using with the latest MAME.

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: R. Belmont]
#380161 - 12/19/18 12:51 AM

> > 1) Support for cross-platform (SDL2) rumble effects for systems like the PSX
> > (dualshock), N64 and PokeMini vs. the basic output handler support that currently
> > exists
>
> I'm glad someone was paying attention to my secretive checkins.
>
> If you're on SDL2, on current MAME you can run with -verbose and see if SDL supports
> rumble effects for your controllers. That doesn't mean any actual game drivers
> support it yet, but it lets you tell if your hardware is gonna work.

Okay I'll have to double-check my 2019 calendar and annual event schedule, but I *think* you just made my entire year before it even started, RB. Nicely done.

In my case, it's a DS4 controller which rumbles with other SDL2-based emus, but running mame64 -verbose as you said yields:

Code:

Joystick:   ...  Has haptic capability

Preparing to get shaken *and* steamrollered by cool things. Thank you!

Tornadoboy
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/09/11
Loc: Massachusetts
Send PM

#380162 - 12/19/18 02:54 AM

> or rarities?

The big one I know of and worried about is Atomic Castle/Eon and the Time Tunnel, I've heard only one disc was ever made and I don't think it's whereabouts are known. Sadly the impression I get is it's gone for good.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Send PM

#380163 - 12/19/18 09:56 AM

> Any PEPlus titles being preserved.

While most likely not in 2019, hopefully some of IGT's non-PE video slots also end up being preserved at some stage (e.g. Game King and Spectrum), as well as more dumps of their non-video slots; splus.cpp is looking sad in its current state with only one game and three set chips in the driver (two of which are suspiciously identical, unless only the labels differed in the first place).

The Aristocrat drivers might see a few more games in the near future, although work needs to be done to get the drivers up to scratch and there simply isn't anyone interested in them to iron out the bugs. With the case of MK2.5/MK4/MK5 games, it is as simple as add, compile and play (and add new DIP/button/artwork labels if needed), but MK6 still has a long way to go. Non-video Aristocrat games are not dumped as of yet either, with MK2.5 as well as VIG520 (MK6?) versions being known to exist (and even Aristocrat/IGT reel slots from circa 1982 - Aristocrat on the front, IGT on the side - although I don't know if they are electronic (CPU+ROMs) or purely mechanical).

jonwil
Lurker
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#380165 - 12/19/18 02:57 PM

Are there any rules for whether a given slot machine or other gambling machine will or wont be accepted into MAME? Would it be based on the age of the machine? Machines that are still being sold? Machines that are still in active use in casinos and other venues?

Haze
Send PM

#380166 - 12/19/18 03:26 PM

> Are there any rules for whether a given slot machine or other gambling machine will
> or wont be accepted into MAME? Would it be based on the age of the machine? Machines
> that are still being sold? Machines that are still in active use in casinos and other
> venues?

these problems tend to take care of themselves these days, most recent stuff is going to be inaccessible, or no hardware that's too advanced to emulate (yes, even slot machines)

MAME is neutral on the issue.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

#380172 - 12/19/18 10:10 PM

> Are there any rules for whether a given slot machine or other gambling machine will
> or wont be accepted into MAME? Would it be based on the age of the machine? Machines
> that are still being sold? Machines that are still in active use in casinos and other
> venues?

Probably no different to what MAME has done since forever, any game less than about three years old that has been dumped is documented but commented out of the source until the hardware becomes obsolete. For example, the MK6 games preserved in MAME are two to three generations old and the hardware itself hasn't seen a new game since 2012. Back when I got into MAME in 2002, any game later than the year 2000 was out of bounds (e.g. KOF 2001 and Metal Slug 4 were in the source but remained hidden for several years).

Depending on the casino or venue, some machines in active use might be upwards of twenty years old, especially if the game is popular yet the company hasn't ported the game to later hardware.

MetalGod
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/26/18
Send PM

#380174 - 12/19/18 11:52 PM

- A rewrite or improvement for the taito f3 driver
- More 3D arcade games progress (hng64, konami m2, namco 22, 23.....)
- An updated version of the following article Haze wrote years ago:
https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/the-path-ahead-of-us/

And hey, thank you to the development team for another awesome year with MAME.

Haze
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: MetalGod]
#380177 - 12/20/18 02:58 AM

> https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/the-path-ahead-of-us/
>

AMT Games – Beauty Block & IQ Pipe (Arcade) - No Progress
Konami – GX Type 1 – Racin’ Force & Golfing Greats 2 (Arcade) - No Progress
VM Labs – Nuon (Home) - MAME has a disassembler, but no actual emulation progress
Jaleco – Megasystem 32 Extended – F1 Super Battle (Arcade) - No progress
Atari – Playstation Hardware – Primal Rage 2 (Arcade) - progress in unofficial build, apparently no easy / clean way to integrate it
Atari – Space Lords (Arcade) - Emulated
Stern – Mazer Blazer & Great Guns (Arcade) - Much improved, promoted to working
Konix Multisystem (Home) - Emulation seems to have died along with the standalone HLE emulator, kinda what happens when BIOS roms aren't dumped and HLE approaches used
Casio – Loopy (Home) - No Progress (we have a plan however)
SNK – Hyper NeoGeo 64 (Arcade) - IO MCU was dumped, racing games can now be coined up, so slight improvements
Kaneko – Gals Panic II (Arcade) - No progress
TCH – Wheels & Fire (Arcade) - Think sound was hooked up, but no meaningful progress
Nichibutsu – Tatakae! Big Fighter / Sky Robo (Arcade) - Emulated
Space – Quiz Punch / Quiz Punch 2 (Arcade) - Something happend with the MCUs, but still not working
Gaelco – 16-bit Era games – Thunder Hoop 2, Glass, World Rally 2 + more (Arcade) - Emulated
Taito – Air System – Top Landing & Air Inferno (Arcade) - Much improved, marked as working
Bit Corporation / UMC – Gamate (Mobile / Handheld) - Emulated
Sandisk – Sansa Fuze (2) (Mobile / Handheld) - No Progress
Data East – Genesis based hardware – High Seas Havoc (Arcade) - PIC was dumped, but otherwise no progress (probably a simple decryption job tho)
Seibu – Cross Shooter / Air Raid (Arcade) - Various people have contempated looking at the modules, but no actual progress
Seibu / Taito – Panic Road (Arcade) - was promoted to working but then somebody found an easy way to break collisions, so demoted again
Various – Fruit Machines (Arcade) - No progress, really awaiting a better presentation layer and way to integrate artwork into the romsets to make it worthwhile
Various – Improving what we have (All) - obviously been a lot of this

so yeah, some stuff got done, other stuff didn't. obviously a lot more things have come to light now than when that article was originally created.

AJR Hacker
MAME Developer
Reged: 02/01/16
Send PM

#380178 - 12/20/18 03:49 AM

> Space – Quiz Punch / Quiz Punch 2 (Arcade) - Something happend with the MCUs, but
> still not working

Luca Elia dumped the Quiz Punch 68705 MCU in 2016. Later I discovered that the "unknown" ROM for Quiz Punch 2 actually contained MCU code, including code to extract the "protection" values, and hooked that up. For all I know, the games might be half-working now (though sound definitely doesn't work), but I can't read Korean so I can't really tell.

> Seibu – Cross Shooter / Air Raid (Arcade) - Various people have contempated looking
> at the modules, but no actual progress

I'm hoping Caius will get involved with this somehow, as he's worked a lot on reproducing custom SIP modules on arcade games. However, these sprite and tilemap modules are believed to be more complex than the video DACs and input filters he's done so far: each probably contains multiple EPROMs, a bipolar palette PROM and a SEI0010BU custom gate array which I think would make a good reproduction target on its own given how much it is used in other Seibu games.

MetalGod
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: AJR Hacker]
#380182 - 12/20/18 11:09 AM

That was fast and accurate!
Thank you both, Haze and AJR
That would be an update to the article

ClawGrip
Reged: 10/19/03
Send PM

#380184 - 12/20/18 11:59 AM

Haze
Send PM

#380187 - 12/20/18 01:17 PM

> > Japanese arcade medal games:

The first one is 'lufykzku' "Otakara Itadaki Luffy Kaizoku-Dan! (Japan, v1.02)" already in MAME

Pernod
Lurker
Reged: 01/12/04
Loc: UK
Send PM

#380188 - 12/20/18 01:37 PM

>
> For next year's predictions:
>
> Pernod getting more BBC stuff emulated

There's not a whole lot left to emulate, my targets are:
- Improve HD6845 to fix graphics in many games, including Elite.
- Implement my first CPU core for NS32016, to run PanOS on the Cambridge Workstation.
- Fully implement the UEF tape format to support protected tape streams.
- Support ROM carrier boards used by Computer Concepts and Watford Electronics. (coming soon)
- Various Sideways RAM boards.
- Winchester discs.

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: TrevEB]
#380192 - 12/21/18 12:26 AM

> Rush 2049: Sound synced with graphics

I hope that issue is related to the current issues in NBA
Showtime and its related games.

> Midway’s HydroThunder, ArticThunder, OffRoad Thunder playable

This may require reworking the entire driver for these games, midqslvr.cpp. That driver, and some other pc based hardware drivers, have some obsolete code with incorrect hardware and address hookups. These three games also use additional I/O boards and won't boot without them. Hydro Thunder uses a "Diego" board and Offroad and Arctic Thunder use a "Magicbus" board.

-.-

VirtuaIceMan
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/22/07
Send PM

#380199 - 12/21/18 05:55 PM

It'd be nice to see tilt effects it Taito's WGP games (not sure how complicated that is to add, but I assume very, as it's not there yet!).

Haze
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: VirtuaIceMan]
#380200 - 12/21/18 06:01 PM

> It'd be nice to see tilt effects it Taito's WGP games (not sure how complicated that
> is to add, but I assume very, as it's not there yet!).

It feels like some weird hardware hack nobody quite understands, I looked into it before and couldn't quite work out how on earth it was meant to work.

I mean maybe it's something I'll give another look over at some point if nobody does (because it's similra to what I've generally been doing outside of non-arcade work recently) but I can't really promise anything.

I'll probably have to add 'look at the Taito drivers' to my todo list at some point, since I've gone over many of the other manufacturers making significant improvements already and performance is less of a worry these days so implementing things properly is easier.

Want to finish off the seta2 work first tho (as in some cases implementing the offsets, but without the zoom has made things a bit uglier) although that'll probably be early 2019 now, running out of time this year and ended up a bit burn out by it all so didn't get any done this month.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#380227 - 12/22/18 04:57 PM

>

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: Pernod]
#380233 - 12/22/18 10:22 PM

>> Pernod getting more BBC stuff emulated

>There's not a whole lot left to emulate, my targets are:
- Improve HD6845 to fix graphics in many games, including Elite.
- Implement my first CPU core for NS32016, to run PanOS on the Cambridge Workstation.
- Fully implement the UEF tape format to support protected tape streams.
- Support ROM carrier boards used by Computer Concepts and Watford Electronics. (coming soon)
- Various Sideways RAM boards.
- Winchester discs.

Good to know and congrats for getting a lot of the BBC systems in working shape. I am guessing the remaining work will be ongoing hash list related updates for the various BBC systems.

Pernod
Lurker
Reged: 01/12/04
Loc: UK
Send PM

#380234 - 12/22/18 10:51 PM

> Good to know and congrats for getting a lot of the BBC systems in working shape. I
> am guessing the remaining work will be ongoing hash list related updates for the
> various BBC systems.

The cass software lists are fairly complete, but there are 100's of floppy images to be added. Unfortunately very few represent the original media though, and it's difficult to determine whether it's a deprotected disc image or a transfer from tape. I'm reluctant to just throw them all in regardless.

gamerfan
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/01/10
Send PM

#380241 - 12/23/18 02:36 AM

My wish for MAME in 2019 is too many to list here. But I'll name just a few. They are

-Atari Games: Area 51 Site 4, Primal Rage 2, and Metal Maniax
-Sega Games: Improvements in sega model 1, model 2, and model 3 and get them promoted to working status
-Namco Games: Improvements in Namco System 10, System 21, System 22, and System 23.
-VR arcade games: Pac-Man VR and Missile Command VR
-Magic the Gathering Armageddon, Quake arcade tournament
-Konami Cobra hardware game: Fighting Bujutsu
-Konami polygonet games: Polynet Warriors, Polygonet Commanders
-Hyper Neo Geo 64 games.

Edited by gamerfan (12/23/18 09:07 AM)

jonwil
Lurker
Send PM

#380245 - 12/23/18 04:17 AM

My top 5 wish list for 2019 (none of which are outside the realms of possibility as far as I can see):
1.Fixing any issues (bugs, incomplete emulation etc) with the sound and music in Suzuka 8 Hours and Suzuka 8 Hours 2.
2.Fixing any issues (bugs, incomplete emulation etc) with the I/O MCU (Namco C68 I believe) in Suzuka 8 Hours and Suzuka 8 Hours 2)
3.Decapping/dumping/emulating the DSP chips from Star Wars Arcade (they are also used on another Model 1 game IIRC)
4.Emulation improvements to Konami Firebeat (Keyboardmania) hardware
5.Improvements to Sega Model 3 (I know enough to know that getting them playable wont happen in the short term but improvements may happen)

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Send PM

#380246 - 12/23/18 05:15 AM

> My top 5 wish list for 2019 (none of which are outside the realms of possibility as
> far as I can see):
> 1.Fixing any issues (bugs, incomplete emulation etc) with the sound and music in
> Suzuka 8 Hours and Suzuka 8 Hours 2.
> 2.Fixing any issues (bugs, incomplete emulation etc) with the I/O MCU (Namco C68 I
> believe) in Suzuka 8 Hours and Suzuka 8 Hours 2)

Final Lap series too. Do not forgot about the c139 linking controller so that it's possible for linking in these games (as well as System 21, 22 and eventually 23).

-.-

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

My Mame wish. Just 1. Should be easy new [Re: Antny]
#380247 - 12/23/18 07:43 AM

I would LOVE to have touchscreen support, so games like MegaTouch, Touchmaster, Lotto Fun and the video poker games (Players Edge) would work. I bought an All-In-One PC with a touch screen monitor just for this specific reason.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: My Mame wish. Just 1. Should be easy new [Re: sirscotty]
#380251 - 12/23/18 09:29 AM

Have you looked at MAME's UI code lately? Nothing that involves going anywhere near it could be described as remotely "easy".

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

#380287 - 12/24/18 05:04 AM

> I would LOVE to have touchscreen support, so games like MegaTouch, Touchmaster, Lotto
> Fun and the video poker games (Players Edge) would work. I bought an All-In-One PC
> with a touch screen monitor just for this specific reason.

I hooked up an old ELO point of sales touchscreen to my PC ages ago (in the 0.190 era) when I was testing the Aristocrat slot games and it was working fine with both the on-screen buttons (artwork) and the touchscreen-based games themselves, in fact it was more usable than a mouse. The Player's Edge games should work just as well (the PE+ keno games are also touch-based).

The only thing was, the touchscreen I used was almost pointless as it was tiny (not much larger than an iPad) and the LCD panel was only 1024x768.

Basically, as long as MAME can detect a mouse, a touchscreen should also work, although it's up to the game drivers whether they support touch-based controls through the artwork system.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#380297 - 12/24/18 01:34 PM

Not gonna happen in 2019, because it happened in 2018 motherfuckers!

Code:

Machines promoted to working
----------------------------
Tobe! Polystars (ver JAA) [Phil Bennett, Ryan Holtz, Vas Crabb]
Total Vice (ver EBA) [Phil Bennett, Ryan Holtz, Vas Crabb]
Heat of Eleven '98 (ver EAA) [Phil Bennett, Ryan Holtz, Vas Crabb]
Evil Night (ver UBA) [Phil Bennett, Ryan Holtz, Vas Crabb]
Hell Night (ver EAA) [Phil Bennett, Ryan Holtz, Vas Crabb]

Ville Linde
Slacker
Reged: 05/09/04
Send PM

#380298 - 12/24/18 01:45 PM

> hyper-sensitive
>
> Not gonna happen in 2019, because it happened in 2018 motherfuckers!
> Machines promoted to working
> ----------------------------
> Tobe! Polystars (ver JAA) [Phil Bennett, Ryan Holtz, Vas Crabb]
> Total Vice (ver EBA) [Phil Bennett, Ryan Holtz, Vas Crabb]
> Heat of Eleven '98 (ver EAA) [Phil Bennett, Ryan Holtz, Vas Crabb]
> Evil Night (ver UBA) [Phil Bennett, Ryan Holtz, Vas Crabb]
> Hell Night (ver EAA) [Phil Bennett, Ryan Holtz, Vas Crabb]

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#380301 - 12/24/18 03:09 PM

>> I'd like to see more work on the Konami M2 driver, but everyone gets hyper-sensitive
>> when I ask and it's not up to me anyhow:

>Not gonna happen in 2019, because it happened in 2018 motherfuckers!

Code:

Machines promoted to working
----------------------------
Tobe! Polystars (ver JAA) [Phil Bennett, Ryan Holtz, Vas Crabb]
Total Vice (ver EBA) [Phil Bennett, Ryan Holtz, Vas Crabb]
Heat of Eleven '98 (ver EAA) [Phil Bennett, Ryan Holtz, Vas Crabb]
Evil Night (ver UBA) [Phil Bennett, Ryan Holtz, Vas Crabb]
Hell Night (ver EAA) [Phil Bennett, Ryan Holtz, Vas Crabb]

Master O's devious plan worked. ;-) *kidding*

I should do PacDude (long ago user name from old MAME.net web site) style complaints and scream when "When will MAMEdev get Konami Drum Mania working?"

iirc PacDude was all bent out of shape back in 2000 or maybe it was 2001 just because Slither wasn't emulated at the time. I recall seeing Slither in an upright cab at some small arcade (Yogie's in Anaheim in 1982) and I don't recall ever seeing anyone wanting to play that game. I believe one would have had to wear a costume disguise if they ever wanted to play that game in an arcade back in the days. At least any fans of Slither can play game anonymously in their own room without having to be embarrassed playing one of the top 10 worst arcade games imo.

Phil Bennett
L'Emuchat
Reged: 04/20/04
Send PM

#380316 - 12/25/18 04:16 AM

> hyper-sensitive
>
> Not gonna happen in 2019, because it happened in 2018 motherfuckers!
> Machines promoted to working
> ----------------------------
> Tobe! Polystars (ver JAA) [Phil Bennett, Ryan Holtz, Vas Crabb]
> Total Vice (ver EBA) [Phil Bennett, Ryan Holtz, Vas Crabb]
> Heat of Eleven '98 (ver EAA) [Phil Bennett, Ryan Holtz, Vas Crabb]
> Evil Night (ver UBA) [Phil Bennett, Ryan Holtz, Vas Crabb]
> Hell Night (ver EAA) [Phil Bennett, Ryan Holtz, Vas Crabb]

Also:

Edited by Phil Bennett (12/25/18 04:17 AM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#380323 - 12/25/18 07:14 PM

> This may require reworking the entire driver for these games, midqslvr.cpp. That
> driver, and some other pc based hardware drivers, have some obsolete code with
> incorrect hardware and address hookups. These three games also use additional I/O
> boards and won't boot without them. Hydro Thunder uses a "Diego" board and Offroad
> and Arctic Thunder use a "Magicbus" board.

Groovy. When should we expect your pull request, because it sounds like you've got this all under control?

MetalGod
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: MetalGod]
#380355 - 12/26/18 07:29 PM

Ho Ho Ho !!
Konami M2 has been emulated for this christmas version of mame (0.205) and it is being improved for future mame 0.206!!

Thank you

Edited by MetalGod (12/26/18 07:31 PM)

pepinos
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/25/03
Send PM

#380363 - 12/26/18 11:24 PM

operation tiger to be fully playable

Retro27
Play The Past
Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: leeds (UK)
Send PM

#380364 - 12/27/18 01:25 AM

Great work on the M2 stuff
I'd love to see some work done on 3do with documentation of a working software list.

Fingers crossed for 2019.

Retro
Play the Past.

www.freewebs.com/retro27/

dgrace
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/08/17
Send PM

#380365 - 12/27/18 01:31 AM

Would love full mouse/light gun support for Teraburst & Beast Buster 2nd Nightmare.

Would love remaining fixes for Time Crisis 2

Would love support for Jurassic Park 3

Would love LAN/Network support for more racing games (i.e. Cruis'n USA, San Francisco Rush, etc.).

Either way I appreciate everything the MAME devs have done.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Send PM

#380367 - 12/27/18 02:59 AM

Mamedevs, out of curiosity, what happened to Vertexer? I remember the person who owns the only cabinet of that was coy about letting Mamedev dump it.

(Vertexer -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-lVyYtkgRY)

I don't expect to see it for 2019, but who knows?

Also, great work on the Konami M2 driver. Of course, there's more to fix with that driver, but great start nonetheless.

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: dgrace]
#380373 - 12/27/18 06:43 PM

> Would love full mouse/light gun support for Teraburst & Beast Buster 2nd Nightmare.

I'm kind of doing some work with Teraburst (and Operation Thunder Hurricane for both use the same I/O board, GN680). That board is essentially a CCD camera controller much like the v221 MIU and JVS Rays boards used in some Namco games. I myself made some failed mapping attempts to hook the controls to at least Teraburst (Thunder Hurricane on the other hand needs a different approach to hook that GN680 board as my initial attempts made it die with a "Gun I/F Error"). Oh, and there is that sticky 3d issue that makes Teraburst unplayable even with the correct inputs.

I'm tempted to merge the four Konami PPC drivers, zr107, gticlub, nwk-tr and hornet, into one large driver due to the fact all cpu and cg boards share the similar design architecture in my opinion. It could be a bad idea/waste of time to some of you but who knows.

Zinger
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/19/10
Loc: Spain
Send PM

#380375 - 12/28/18 10:22 AM

My wishes for 2019:

- Finally, fixing all the remaining protection and graphical bugs of later Konami 2D games (Gokujou Parodius, Sunset Riders, Mystic Warriors, etc)
- Perfect emulation of Model 1
- Perfect emulation of System 32 (It's almost there, I believe)
- More protection fixes for the STV driver
- Discovering more surprise prototypes, weird games, etc.

Haze
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: Zinger]
#380388 - 12/29/18 12:49 AM

> My wishes for 2019:
>
> - Finally, fixing all the remaining protection and graphical bugs of later Konami 2D
> games (Gokujou Parodius, Sunset Riders, Mystic Warriors, etc)

there's a long term rewrite of that going on, who knows when it will be finished

> - Perfect emulation of Model 1

might happen, although even with decaps there are likely bugs in the rewritten TGP core that need to be fixed (some Model 2 stuff regressed apparently, as did VR) and there's also the possibility that data entry errors could cause some issues with the emulated TGPs. I rate this one 'possible' tho.

> - Perfect emulation of System 32 (It's almost there, I believe)

with most emulation tasks the last 1% is the most difficult, sometimes requiring a complete rethink from scratch. Hopefully this isn't the case here however, looking into some of the issues is on my todo list.

> - More protection fixes for the STV driver

the only uncracked protection is with a few Print Club and Name Club games, we aim to get it figured out (it's the same scheme as Decathlete, but different key/scramble) but I'm guessing issues you think are probably protection related aren't as literally nobody seems to care about those Print Club / Name Club things.

> - Discovering more surprise prototypes, weird games, etc.

Tends to be the case, although we're drawing on an ever decreasing pool, it's entirely possible we've exhausted it. So many have turned up in recent years but for a lot of things we also have to face the possibility that they simply aren't going to show up, ever. Most of the surprises are going to be discoveries in the non-arcade part of the project.

jonwil
Lurker
Send PM

#380402 - 12/29/18 02:05 PM

One thing I would like to see in 2019 is more emulation of things that are different to the norm. Like that ANZ bank terminal.

microsnk
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/07
Send PM

#380407 - 12/29/18 03:36 PM

My wishes for 2019:

- KONAMI GX HARDWARE (Racin' Force).

- ATARI G42 HARDWARE (Danger Express).

- NAMCO SYSTEM 10 HARDWARE (Gamshara).

Happy New Year.

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Send PM

#380419 - 12/29/18 11:28 PM

May as well say my thoughts:
  • Obviously more overall work on these Konami PPC 403GA based games, zr107 gticlub, nwktr and hornet. I hope I can do some work myself too.
  • More work on that GN680 I/O board for Operation Thunder Hurricane and Teraburst.
  • Konami Cobra System improvements. Fighting Bujutsu suffers a current regression. Racing Jam DX also uses the same network board used in its NWK-TR counterpart. Not correct.
  • A better understanding of Namco's C139/C422 custom used for game linking between Namco System 2, 21, 22 and 23. Konami's K056230 used in zr107 and gticlub most likely functions similar to Namco C139/C422.
  • Galil emulation as well as the respective pal dumps for the Midway V Unit driving games. I'm pretty sure its linking feature is controlled by those pals.
  • Atari G42, GX2 and GT's remaining protection and linking feature. G42 and GX2 may use the same linking feature as with Steel Talons (different from Race Drivin). GT uses a network board which isn't emulated at all.
  • Taito JC improvements and support for that SMC COM20020I IC.

Some of those thoughts may be ridiculous but I hope it's better to share some thoughts. I'm still asking on how to get these Hard Drivin hardware based games to link in MAME because there isn't a good tutorial or configuration on how.

Best of luck.

Edited by Hydreigon (04/04/19 07:19 PM)

Fulgore
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/19/17
Send PM

#380442 - 12/30/18 05:59 PM

Hi there,

i still believe in a MAMEUI Version for all
CAVE Shmups. That day will be my holy grail !

Especially every dodonpachi part will run without
gfx bugs an fails

Please GOD !!! Hear my voice !!!

Zinger
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/19/10
Loc: Spain
Send PM

#380446 - 12/30/18 10:27 PM

> > My wishes for 2019:
> >
> > - Finally, fixing all the remaining protection and graphical bugs of later Konami
> 2D
> > games (Gokujou Parodius, Sunset Riders, Mystic Warriors, etc)
>
> there's a long term rewrite of that going on, who knows when it will be finished
>
> > - Perfect emulation of Model 1
>
> might happen, although even with decaps there are likely bugs in the rewritten TGP
> core that need to be fixed (some Model 2 stuff regressed apparently, as did VR) and
> there's also the possibility that data entry errors could cause some issues with the
> emulated TGPs. I rate this one 'possible' tho.
>
> > - Perfect emulation of System 32 (It's almost there, I believe)
>
> with most emulation tasks the last 1% is the most difficult, sometimes requiring a
> complete rethink from scratch. Hopefully this isn't the case here however, looking
> into some of the issues is on my todo list.
>
> > - More protection fixes for the STV driver
>
> the only uncracked protection is with a few Print Club and Name Club games, we aim to
> get it figured out (it's the same scheme as Decathlete, but different key/scramble)
> but I'm guessing issues you think are probably protection related aren't as literally
> nobody seems to care about those Print Club / Name Club things.
>
> > - Discovering more surprise prototypes, weird games, etc.
>
> Tends to be the case, although we're drawing on an ever decreasing pool, it's
> entirely possible we've exhausted it. So many have turned up in recent years but for
> a lot of things we also have to face the possibility that they simply aren't going to
> show up, ever. Most of the surprises are going to be discoveries in the non-arcade
> part of the project.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to all that.
I'm glad someone is looking into the Konami rewrite. Those games are some the latest 2D masterpieces from the Golden Age of arcades. Let's hope the best for it!

Edited by Zinger (12/30/18 10:27 PM)

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/27/11
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: Zinger]
#380488 - 01/01/19 10:39 PM

2019 is off to a great start. Rush 2049 has been promoted to working. Thanks, Ted! Hopefully Cruis'n Exotica can follow this year too. I think everything else on my wish list has been mentioned.

gamerfan
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/01/10
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: DarthMarino]
#380884 - 01/27/19 01:32 AM

> 2019 is off to a great start. Rush 2049 has been promoted to working. Thanks, Ted!
> Hopefully Cruis'n Exotica can follow this year too. I think everything else on my
> wish list has been mentioned.

That's great. And not only that, let's also hope The Grid, Area 51 Site 4, and Primal Rage 2 can follow this year too.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/27/11
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: gamerfan]
#380885 - 01/27/19 01:38 AM

> > 2019 is off to a great start. Rush 2049 has been promoted to working. Thanks, Ted!
> > Hopefully Cruis'n Exotica can follow this year too. I think everything else on my
> > wish list has been mentioned.
>
> That's great. And not only that, let's also hope The Grid, Area 51 Site 4, and Primal
> Rage 2 can follow this year too.

I would classify The Grid as working as far as a single player game. It has the smallest of graphical glitches barley worth mentioning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv6B2EvfaV4

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: gamerfan]
#380898 - 01/27/19 08:07 PM

> > 2019 is off to a great start. Rush 2049 has been promoted to working. Thanks, Ted!
> > Hopefully Cruis'n Exotica can follow this year too. I think everything else on my
> > wish list has been mentioned.
>
> That's great. And not only that, let's also hope The Grid, Area 51 Site 4, and Primal
> Rage 2 can follow this year too.

Grid and Cruis'n Exotica's linking hardware is strange from what Ted mentioned. As for Area 51 Site 4, I would like some more status on that Jammit I/O pcb (anyone still have a chance to decap a major component on that board?).

TrevEB
Send PM

#381070 - 02/12/19 08:11 PM

Revised List

Discrete sound emulation of any title still requiring sound samples. Armor Attack for example.

Savage Quest: Hook up 3dfx and see what happens.
Currently if one is patient, emulation gets as far as checking and well, the 3dfx card is not present.
Would be impressive to get as far as "dongle not present" message. Get past that and the game awaits! probably at 2 frames per second.

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

#381074 - 02/12/19 11:14 PM

It would be nice to see Data East's Bandit! sometime this year, however if an MCU
has to be dumped on a board so rare then it might never happen.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#381077 - 02/13/19 03:02 AM

tantrum mode off...

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#381078 - 02/13/19 04:26 AM

> 3Dfx emulation without proper 3d hardware rendering is pointless. MAME renders
> everything in software mode

So you're saying that our emulation of IT Eagle (Golden Tee Fore!), Midway Seattle/Vegas, Konami GT, etc. is pointless? Thanks for letting me know - I'll tell Ted to rip it all out.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Send PM

#381079 - 02/13/19 04:42 AM

> > 3Dfx emulation without proper 3d hardware rendering is pointless. MAME renders
> > everything in software mode
>
> So you're saying that our emulation of IT Eagle (Golden Tee Fore!), Midway
> Seattle/Vegas, Konami GT, etc. is pointless? Thanks for letting me know - I'll tell
> Ted to rip it all out.

Vas Crabb 1, CiroConsentino 0

TrevEB
Send PM

#381083 - 02/13/19 07:37 AM

Easy now everyone. Ciro has done a heck of a lot for my favorite frontend at my request.

I am making an assumption that since 3dfx is emulated in Mame that means that maybe the driver can be hooked up to savage quest driver.

It does take a LONG time to get to that part of the boot screen currently so I am not expecting to play. Just curious to see what happens next.

While I had the real machine under my desk, it did behave the exact same way so I am optimistic that it will get farther.

Also of note, the game allowed for operator settings to be saved to a floppy disc. The game is looking for a floppy and if it finds one it will look for saved settings files. The floppy is not required for the game to start but in the interest of emulation, perhaps a disc should be pre inserted in the emulated disc drive.

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Send PM

#381098 - 02/13/19 05:06 PM

> > 3Dfx emulation without proper 3d hardware rendering is pointless. MAME renders
>
> So you're saying that our emulation of IT Eagle (Golden Tee Fore!), Midway
> Seattle/Vegas, Konami GT, etc. is pointless? Thanks for letting me know - I'll tell
> Ted to rip it all out.
Konami GT is an old 1985 racing game which is unrelated to 3dfx. You probably were referring to their nwk-tr and hornet systems. GTI Club hardware only has one game that runs on a 3dfx cg board, Hang Pilot. I question why Konami Hornet hardware games in MAME aren't marked as imperfect graphics despite obvious graphical issues (nearly the same as nwk-tr's as both run on very similar hardware).

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#381100 - 02/14/19 06:31 AM

> 3Dfx emulation without proper 3d hardware rendering is pointless. MAME renders
> everything in software mode

What do you mean..? How does software rendering make 3Dfx emulation pointless?

S

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME in 2019 new [Re: Sune]
#381114 - 02/14/19 04:26 PM

>
> What do you mean..? How does software rendering make 3Dfx emulation pointless?
>
> S
He doesn't like the fact MAME doesn't utilitze hardware acceleration. I used to hate software mode only but now I don't mind and can see a reason why MAME uses software only.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#381120 - 02/15/19 01:39 AM

> He doesn't like the fact MAME doesn't utilitze hardware acceleration. I used to hate
> software mode only but now I don't mind and can see a reason why MAME uses software
> only.

He should've told us that it's pointless a few years ago. Ted could've just ripped out Aaron's 3Dfx Voodoo emulation rather than hooking it up to the new PCI framework and fixing the bugs. Would've saved him a lot of work.

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Send PM

#381127 - 02/15/19 05:18 PM

> > He doesn't like the fact MAME doesn't utilitze hardware acceleration. I used to
> hate
> > software mode only but now I don't mind and can see a reason why MAME uses software
> > only.
>
> He should've told us that it's pointless a few years ago. Ted could've just ripped
> out Aaron's 3Dfx Voodoo emulation rather than hooking it up to the new PCI framework
> and fixing the bugs. Would've saved him a lot of work.

Not a bad idea. If only we had Ted's reasoning behind this voodoo situation. I hope some of these bugs involve the graphics glitches in Konami's nwk-tr and hornet games (I may be wrong).

Edited by Hydreigon (02/15/19 05:18 PM)

mert
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/16
Send PM

#381382 - 03/05/19 06:30 AM

In 2019, you will work on sega ringedge, ringwide.taito type, hyperneogeo64, to emulate systems?

Pages: 1 | 2 |

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 275 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5567