MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU: Lindbergh, baby
#379774 - 11/30/18 11:28 AM

Darksoft decapped and sent us the PIC dumps of GhostSquadEvo, 2SPICY, PRIMEVAL HUNT, R-TUNED and INITIAL D ARCADE STAGE 5 EXP

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: DU: Lindbergh, baby new [Re: Smitdogg]
#379778 - 11/30/18 01:32 PM

Is Lindburgh even on the radar screen for emulation? I doubt even a high-end specially selected perfect CPU cooled with Liquid Helium has the horsepower to properly emulate the 4.0GHz P4 in the Lindburgh machines at a usable speed (unless someone writes some sort of really fancy dynamic recompiler or otherwise pulls tricks out of a hat I have never heard of)
And that's assuming the hardware (including the NVIDIA GPU) is even documented enough to be emulated...

MetalGod
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/26/18
Send PM

Re: DU: Lindbergh, baby new [Re: jonwil]
#379781 - 11/30/18 02:42 PM

It is not emulated but hacked and working on a loader. Real emulation of this in MAME should not be expected in the following 10 years or more...

Edited by MetalGod (11/30/18 02:44 PM)

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: DU: Lindbergh, baby new [Re: jonwil]
#379782 - 11/30/18 03:57 PM

> Is Lindburgh even on the radar screen for emulation? I doubt even a high-end
> specially selected perfect CPU cooled with Liquid Helium has the horsepower to
> properly emulate the 4.0GHz P4 in the Lindburgh machines at a usable speed (unless
> someone writes some sort of really fancy dynamic recompiler or otherwise pulls tricks
> out of a hat I have never heard of)
> And that's assuming the hardware (including the NVIDIA GPU) is even documented enough
> to be emulated...

You forget MAME is not only about emulation but also preservation. Currently there are at least two loaders that could let you run them on on your Windows/Linux OS. None have bothered to offer the correct checksums or a vanilla dump to restore an original arcade cabinet. It's nice to have a correct dump from something that has been hacked to death without offering the original files.

I'm not sure if we are allowed to talk about T**** T***X Loader nor Tek*****rot. Probably not because it is plain piracy.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: DU: Lindbergh, baby new [Re: BIOS-D]
#379795 - 11/30/18 11:00 PM

> You forget MAME is not only about emulation but also preservation. Currently there
> are at least two loaders that could let you run them on on your Windows/Linux OS.
> None have bothered to offer the correct checksums or a vanilla dump to restore an
> original arcade cabinet. It's nice to have a correct dump from something that has
> been hacked to death without offering the original files.

I for one am looking forward to having non-hacked dumps out there. We won't get to play them for who knows how long, but having them available - as well as documenting the hardware and getting any needed dumps - will be useful in the future. Better to have this done now than try to get a working system much later.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: DU: Lindbergh new [Re: BIOS-D]
#379797 - 12/01/18 12:14 AM

>is not only about emulation but also preservation.

Yep. Especially for the pcb owners that if the rom data should go sour (bitrot etc), then MAME might have exact rom set data documented so pcb owner has a chance to replace a rom knowing what the rom data should consist of.

>Currently there are at least two loaders that could let you run them on on your
>Windows/Linux OS. None have bothered to offer the correct checksums or a vanilla dump to
>restore an original arcade cabinet. It's nice to have a correct dump from something that
>has been hacked to death without offering the original files.

I didn't know there were that many games for that hardware.

src/mame/drivers/lindbergh.cpp

That is a race to get as many more supported possible before the originals are lost.
It is fortunate that many of the alternate region revisions of CPS-2 and some of CPS-3
are already documented properly even though are still fair number yet to be found.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: DU: Lindbergh, baby new [Re: MetalGod]
#379843 - 12/01/18 08:58 PM

> It is not emulated but hacked and working on a loader. Real emulation of this in MAME
> should not be expected in the following 10 years or more...

We love you too.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: DU: Lindbergh, baby new [Re: R. Belmont]
#379849 - 12/01/18 09:35 PM

> > It is not emulated but hacked and working on a loader. Real emulation of this in
> MAME
> > should not be expected in the following 10 years or more...
>
> We love you too.

I mean he's not exactly wrong.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 689 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 751