View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

JB
CHIJB55
Reged: 10/22/03
Send PM

Landing High Japan (Taito Type Zero)
#379672 - 11/22/18 06:41 PM

I remember somewhere being advised to never post about a specific game, but here I am donning my flame-suit with question about that very subject.

Landing High Japan (1999), based on Taito Type Zero hardware, has long been a goal of mine to have. Actual cabinets are rare and wildly expensive, so I'm always looking for anything to emerge from this (truly) wondrous MAME team.

My question is: Any active work going on with Taito Type Zero hardware? Is there anything the emulation community (like myself) can do to help (fundraising to buy missing hardware, etc)? Other than wait patiently in the hopes that someday, something miraculously appears?

Flame me if you will for asking game-specific development; I know it's "forbidden". But I literally look for anything on this long-loved game, and can't seem to find anything. Maybe I'm the only one that remembers this game (!).

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Landing High Japan (TaitoType Zero) new [Re: JB]
#379675 - 11/22/18 11:31 PM

> My question is: Any active work going on with Taito Type Zero hardware?

No, sorry.

> Is there
> anything the emulation community (like myself) can do to help (fundraising to buy
> missing hardware, etc)? Other than wait patiently in the hopes that someday,
> something miraculously appears?

No, sorry.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Landing High Japan (Taito Type Zero) new [Re: JB]
#379690 - 11/24/18 09:48 PM

>I remember somewhere being advised to never post about a specific game,

That was primarily when asking redundant specific game questions such as "when will Raiden II be playable" etc.

>Landing High Japan (1999), based on Taito Type Zero hardware, has long been a goal of
>mine to have. Actual cabinets are rare and wildly expensive, so I'm always looking for
>anything to emerge from this (truly) wondrous MAME team.

As Moogly points out end user side nothing can be done unless user knows how to add on extensive pc hardware support before any work can even be done with emulating the games.

>Is there anything the emulation community (like myself) can do to help (fundraising to
>buy missing hardware, etc)?

src/mame/drivers/taitotz.cpp

GAME( 1999, landhigh, taitotz, landhigh, landhigh, taitotz_state, init_landhigh, ROT0, "Taito", "Landing High Japan (Ver 2.01 OK)", MACHINE_NOT_WORKING | MACHINE_NO_SOUND )
GAME( 1999, landhigha, landhigh, landhigh, landhigh, taitotz_state, init_landhigha,ROT0, "Taito", "Landing High Japan (Ver 2.02 O)", MACHINE_NOT_WORKING | MACHINE_NO_SOUND )

Fortunately Landing High is dumped and documented which is a good start for time being.

There might be other Type Zero hardware games still needing to be found and on Dumping Union needed list. In case you see any, message Smitdogg.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Landing High Japan (Taito Type Zero) new [Re: gregf]
#379695 - 11/25/18 02:56 AM

> As Moogly points out end user side nothing can be done unless user knows how to add
> on extensive pc hardware support before any work can even be done with emulating the
> games.

"pc hardware"? Type Zero isn't a PC - it's a dedicated simulation platform. Also, you'd need a pretty serious setup to actually play Landing High Japan. It needs a two-axis yoke, rudder pedals, two throttle controls, and the controls for flaps, etc.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Landing High Japan (Taito Type Zero) new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#379710 - 11/26/18 06:05 AM

>>user knows how to add on extensive pc hardware support before any work can even be done
>>with emulating the games.

>"pc hardware"? Type Zero isn't a PC - it's a dedicated simulation platform.

I thought it was using pc based hardware myself, but had to look to see what Sixtoe's System 16 has regarding the hardware.

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=673

TAITO TYPE-ZERO HARDWARE

Main CPU: PowerPC 603e @ 100MHz
Graphics: Taito TCG020AGP
Sound CPU: MN1020819DA
Sound Chip: ZOOM ZSG-2
Sound DSP: ZOOM ZFX-2
I/O CPU: TMP95C063F
Hardware Features : Harddisk and LAN features.
--

>Also, you'd need a pretty serious setup to actually play Landing High Japan. It needs a
>two-axis yoke, rudder pedals, two throttle controls, and the controls for flaps, etc.

Yep. The inputs and controls and using multi monitors makes this a challenge.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Landing High Japan (Taito Type Zero) new [Re: gregf]
#379711 - 11/26/18 08:19 AM

> I thought it was using pc based hardware myself, but had to look to see what
> Sixtoe's System 16 has regarding the hardware.
>
>
> http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=673
>
>
> TAITO TYPE-ZERO HARDWARE
>
> Main CPU: PowerPC 603e @ 100MHz
> Graphics: Taito TCG020AGP
> Sound CPU: MN1020819DA
> Sound Chip: ZOOM ZSG-2
> Sound DSP: ZOOM ZFX-2
> I/O CPU: TMP95C063F
> Hardware Features : Harddisk and LAN features.

Bruh, PowerPC isn't a PC.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Landing High Japan (Taito Type Zero) new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#379713 - 11/26/18 09:55 AM

>> I thought it was using pc based hardware myself, but had to look to see what
>> Sixtoe's System 16 has regarding the hardware.
>
>
> http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=673
>
>
>> TAITO TYPE-ZERO HARDWARE
>
>> Main CPU: PowerPC 603e @ 100MHz
>> Graphics: Taito TCG020AGP
>> Sound CPU: MN1020819DA
>> Sound Chip: ZOOM ZSG-2
>> Sound DSP: ZOOM ZFX-2
>> I/O CPU: TMP95C063F
> Hardware Features : Harddisk and LAN features.

>Bruh, PowerPC isn't a PC.

Yep. I messed up with my previous post and left off a couple words that should have been in the sentence in previous post when I linked to Sixtoe's page.

When typing the first post in the thread, I mistakenly guessed the hardware did have IBM Intel x86 series related hardware components not yet emulated before looking over source code and Sixtoe's site.

Ville Linde returning briefly and doing a couple cameo updates, or Luca Elia, or a couple fixes by couriersud. I'll take anyone of them doing any minor update with MAME to close out 2018.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Landing High Japan (Taito Type Zero) new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#379847 - 12/01/18 09:19 PM

> "pc hardware"? Type Zero isn't a PC - it's a dedicated simulation platform. Also,
> you'd need a pretty serious setup to actually play Landing High Japan. It needs a
> two-axis yoke, rudder pedals, two throttle controls, and the controls for flaps, etc.

Yeah, although at least we can emulate the sound board well now if the MCU can be decapped or otherwise extra-normally dumped.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Programming
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Pi 
0 registered and 109 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1329