MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

San Francisco Rush 2049 Plays? Holy Cow!
#379369 - 11/05/18 12:52 AM

Well hot damn!
Looks like this happened about a year ago.
I am so pleasantly surprised!

So audio continues to be a problem with the Rush series which seems surprising as the CPU speed is being throttled a bit.

Is it a matter of not yet being able to offer DCS Audio its own CPU Core, or is getting everything to sync up properly?

Major thanks to all involved getting this far.
Just shy of 20 years and you still have to wait in line at CAX to play.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: San Francisco Rush 2049 officially now plays *edit* new [Re: TrevEB]
#379370 - 11/05/18 01:48 AM

>Well hot damn! Looks like this happened about a year ago. I am so pleasantly surprised!

Ted has done another damn good job.

Recent updates with (already posted earlier) src/mame/drivers/vegas.cpp

leaves only the San Francisco Rush 2049 Tournament Edition series not yet working,
but sound is considered fixed since MACHINE_IMPERFECT_SOUND is also out.

GAMEL( 1999, sf2049, 0, sf2049, sf2049, vegas_state, init_sf2049, ROT0, "Atari Games", "San Francisco Rush 2049", MACHINE_SUPPORTS_SAVE, layout_sf2049 )

GAMEL( 2003, sf2049se, sf2049, sf2049se, sf2049se, vegas_state, init_sf2049se, ROT0, "Atari Games", "San Francisco Rush 2049: Special Edition", MACHINE_SUPPORTS_SAVE, layout_sf2049 )

GAMEL( 2000, sf2049te, sf2049, sf2049te, sf2049se, vegas_state, init_sf2049te, ROT0, "Atari Games", "San Francisco Rush 2049: Tournament Edition", MACHINE_NOT_WORKING | MACHINE_SUPPORTS_SAVE, layout_sf2049 )

GAMEL( 2001, sf2049tea, sf2049, sf2049te, sf2049se, vegas_state, init_sf2049te, ROT0, "Atari Games", "San Francisco Rush 2049: Tournament Edition Unlocked", MACHINE_NOT_WORKING | MACHINE_SUPPORTS_SAVE, layout_sf2049 )

These are now considered working after ted's work over the past year.

/* Durango + Vegas SIO + Voodoo 2 */
GAME( 1999, warfa, 0, warfa, warfa, vegas_state, init_warfa, ROT0, "Atari Games", "War: The Final Assault (EPROM 1.9 Mar 25 1999, GUTS 1.3 Apr 20 1999, GAME Apr 20 1999)", MACHINE_SUPPORTS_SAVE )

/* Durango + DSIO + Voodoo 2 */

GAME( 1999, roadburn, 0, roadburn, roadburn, vegas_state, init_roadburn, ROT0, "Atari Games", "Road Burners (ver 1.04)", MACHINE_SUPPORTS_SAVE )

/* Durango + Vegas SIO + Voodoo 3 */
GAME( 2000, cartfury, 0, cartfury, cartfury, vegas_state, init_cartfury, ROT0, "Midway Games", "Cart Fury", MACHINE_SUPPORTS_SAVE )

>Major thanks to all involved getting this far.

Credits to Ted Green and his work.

>Just shy of 20 years and you still have to wait in line at CAX to play.

I hope it isn't as long as the 1983 year when there were super long standing lines just to play Star Wars or Dragons Lair cabs. I remember seeing those lines. They were good games, but not worth standing in a line that might be an hour or two.

Had either game been something like the film reel version of Nintendo WG, but instead had about 40 to 50 shootout sequences of Nintendo WG (mounted to a hard disk unit) and the player had to go through all 50 shootout sequences just to be able to win.....that would have been worth standing in a hour long line imo. Two hours probably not.

Edited by gregf (01/02/19 02:20 AM)

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/30/17
Send PM

Re: San Francisco Rush 2049 Plays? Holy Cow! new [Re: gregf]
#379389 - 11/06/18 03:07 AM

Despite all of Ted's hard work, NBA Showtime still can't reach playable status due to ingame freezing issues. NFL Blitz 2000 can't load on either NBA Showtime combo either. I have been stumped for a while.

-.-

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: San Francisco Rush 2049 *edit* new [Re: Hydreigon]
#379394 - 11/06/18 02:11 PM

>Despite all of Ted's hard work, NBA Showtime still can't reach playable status due to
>ingame freezing issues. NFL Blitz 2000 can't load on either NBA Showtime combo either.

Fortunately Ted has some comments/remarks (including one typo ;-) ) indicating what issues are with some games although Aaron's "Known bugs" section can be updated too or removed etc. I am looking forward to seeing Ted's remaining work.

-
src/mame/drivers/vegas.cpp

Known bugs:
* not working yet

/* Durango + DSIO? + Voodoo banshee */
GAME( 1998, nbashowt, 0, nbashowt, nbashowt, vegas_state, init_nbashowt, ROT0, "Midway Games", "NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC (ver 2.0)", MACHINE_IMPERFECT_SOUND | MACHINE_NOT_WORKING | MACHINE_SUPPORTS_SAVE ) // random freezes on the 3d parts
GAME( 1999, nbanfl, 0, nbanfl, nbashowt, vegas_state, init_nbanfl, ROT0, "Midway Games", "NBA Showtime / NFL Blitz 2000 (ver 2.1)", MACHINE_IMPERFECT_SOUND | MACHINE_NOT_WORKING | MACHINE_SUPPORTS_SAVE ) //attempting to run blitz on either v2.1 or v3.0 wlil reset the machine
GAME( 2000, nbagold , 0, nbagold, nbashowt, vegas_state, init_nbagold, ROT0, "Midway Games", "NBA Showtime Gold / NFL Blitz 2000 (ver 3.0) (Sports Station?)", MACHINE_IMPERFECT_SOUND | MACHINE_NOT_WORKING | MACHINE_SUPPORTS_SAVE )
--

Now....about Trev's past CAX attending observation of: "Just shy of 20 years and you still have to wait in line at CAX to play." Okay..so Marble Man and maybe a few prototypes get the exception, but San Francisco Rush 2049?

Replace former Colts head coach Jim Mora's word "Playoffs!?" with a "a line at CAX to play a game!?" and it is pretty much the same reaction. *kidding*

Jim Mora Playoffs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Edited by gregf (01/02/19 02:23 AM)

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/30/17
Send PM

#379409 - 11/07/18 04:39 PM

So I tried the following to at least nbagold (I'm pretty sure the same applies to nbashot and nbanfl):

• Running the game with an RM7000LE cpu board config boots the game but will all the bugs/issues I mentioned.
  • Running either cpu board with a voodoo 3 pci config regresses. It fails to run the main exe file.

The good news is that NBA Showtime's cpu board can be swapped with a cpu board from either a Road Burners, Cart Fury, Rush 2049, or (maybe) War: Final Assault. That main cpu needs that 250 MHz processing power for sure.

As for why NBA Showtime freezes during gameplay, I am starting to think that it's related to bad timings/file loading. This reminds me of an old MT bug where the same exact issue would happen in Gauntlet Legends (note during a game freeze the emulator and sound/music would still run).

P.S. I actually promoted Cart Fury to working and made those NBA Showtime notes in vegas.cpp. Ted was going to do that himself but he had real life stuff come across.

-.-

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

#379412 - 11/08/18 02:25 AM

Ha!
No there is never a line at MM2.
Sadly, it just isn’t fun to play. It looks great but trust me, it ain’t fun.

There are usually but not always 4-5 SF Rush and or Rush 2049’s at the show and you have to wait to play them, always.
Plenty of other games get that kind of appreciation too.

As for whats left to fix. Well that sound issue perplexes me.
I wonder if it would be possible to assign a a CPU core to handle the sound emulation, or maybe there is just a problem with syncing up the sounds with the graphics that hasn’t been figured out.
It’s surprising that graphics are crushing right along but the sound stutters.
SF Rush is actually running smoother than the real machine.

It’s a darn shame that we haven’t had a release of SF Rush since like 2005 on the Original Xbox. “Midway Arcade Classics 3”

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: San Francisco Rush 2049 Plays? Holy Cow! new [Re: Hydreigon]
#379416 - 11/08/18 07:23 AM

>So I tried the following to at least nbagold (I'm pretty sure the same applies to nbashot
>and nbanfl):

Running the game with an RM7000LE cpu board config boots the game but will all the bugs/issues I mentioned.
Running either cpu board with a voodoo 3 pci config regresses. It fails to run the main exe file.

>The good news is that NBA Showtime's cpu board can be swapped with a cpu board from
>either a Road Burners, Cart Fury, Rush 2049, or (maybe) War: Final Assault. That main cpu
>needs that 250 MHz processing power for sure.

>As for why NBA Showtime freezes during gameplay, I am starting to think that it's related
>to bad timings/file loading. This reminds me of an old MT bug where the same exact issue
>would happen in Gauntlet Legends (note during a game freeze the emulator and sound/music
>would still run). I actually promoted Cart Fury to working and made those NBA Showtime
>notes in vegas.cpp

I missed some of the ongoing progress of the fixes of these games although the wavenet additions stuff by Andy W. caught my attention since that stuff is rare.

Good luck in fixing remaining stuff (Ted too in case he returns). I was guessing these games would never be playable after Aaron had left years earlier.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: San Francisco Rush 2049 *edit* new [Re: TrevEB]
#379417 - 11/08/18 07:40 AM

>Ha! No there is never a line at MM2. Sadly, it just isn’t fun to play. It looks great but
>trust me, it ain’t fun.

That's a bummer, but I shouldn't be surprised after seeing reviews over the years. I hope there was a line for the Williams Predators exhibit since that rescue effort involved lots of work.

>There are usually but not always 4-5 SF Rush and or Rush 2049’s at the show and you have to
>wait to play them, always. Plenty of other games get that kind of appreciation too.

That's good there are still folks that appreciate the games and willing to stand in line for some of them. I would if anyone had brought a Nintendo WG (film reel cab) there.

Edited by gregf (01/02/19 02:27 AM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 496 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 848