MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Solstar
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/08
Send PM

Controls set in "Input General" are not saved. Saved fine in "input this machine"
#378969 - 10/14/18 06:41 PM

I am using latest mameui on my recently created cab with two i-pac like decoder joystick connected to my pc.

any control\button i try to set on "input general", are not saved (despite they seems "saved" when entering the TAB menu), meaning that everytime i start a game, i need to manually configure them at least once. They are recognized fine if i do that manually, but its a chore do it every time for a new game

Also,don't know if its related, but setting "allow selection by joystick" doesn't work either

Any help?

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Controls set in "Input General" are not saved. Saved fine in "input this machine" new [Re: Solstar]
#378970 - 10/14/18 09:03 PM

> I am using latest mameui on my recently created cab with two i-pac like decoder
> joystick connected to my pc.
>
> any control\button i try to set on "input general", are not saved (despite they seems
> "saved" when entering the TAB menu), meaning that everytime i start a game, i need to
> manually configure them at least once. They are recognized fine if i do that
> manually, but its a chore do it every time for a new game
>
> Also,don't know if its related, but setting "allow selection by joystick" doesn't
> work either
>
> Any help?

Make sure your config files aren't write protected.

"Allow selection by joystick" refers to controllers that appear in the Windows game controller control panel.
Yours won't work with that option because it's using a keyboard encoder, Windows never sees "a joystick".

S

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Controls set in "Input General" are not saved. Saved fine in "input this machine" new [Re: Solstar]
#378972 - 10/15/18 12:46 AM

Solstar
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Controls set in "Input General" are not saved. Saved fine in "input this machine" new [Re: Sune]
#378975 - 10/15/18 01:41 PM Attachment: 20181015_132125.jpg 4080 KB (0 downloads)

> > I am using latest mameui on my recently created cab with two i-pac like decoder
> > joystick connected to my pc.
> >
> > any control\button i try to set on "input general", are not saved (despite they
> seems
> > "saved" when entering the TAB menu), meaning that everytime i start a game, i need
> to
> > manually configure them at least once. They are recognized fine if i do that
> > manually, but its a chore do it every time for a new game
> >
> > Also,don't know if its related, but setting "allow selection by joystick" doesn't
> > work either
> >
> > Any help?
>
> Make sure your config files aren't write protected.
>
> "Allow selection by joystick" refers to controllers that appear in the Windows game
> controller control panel.
> Yours won't work with that option because it's using a keyboard encoder, Windows
> never sees "a joystick".
>
> S

Just checked, none of my files are write protected. The input are actually "recorded" on the "input general" tab..they simply won't work unless i ALSO memorize them on the "input this machine" section.

Also, on the control panel they seems to be recognized as joystick so i don't really know :\

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#378993 - 10/16/18 05:16 AM

When you change the control in "Input (This Machine)" does it show a keyboard character or joystick up/down/right/left?
Same for the buttons, Button A,B,C,D or ctrl, alt, space or ????

Since Windows is seeing them as USB Generic Joysticks MAME is probably getting those winID's for the controllers & that will change each time you run MAME, thus you have to re-do them everytime. I've never had to deal with that but I think there is a semi-workaround in the forum here somewhere.

Or it could be something completely different with what seem to be your odd i-pac decoded joysticks(?)...If it was an i-pac decoder it should say USB HID Device not a generic joystick & show key presses, not directions or button presses.
Something odd going on with those for sure so I could be completely wrong & someone will correct my assumptions.

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Solstar
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Controls set in "Input General" are not saved. Saved fine in "input this machine" new [Re: Robbbert]
#379015 - 10/17/18 06:30 PM

> > I am using latest mameui on my recently created cab with two i-pac like decoder
> > joystick connected to my pc.
> >
> > any control\button i try to set on "input general", are not saved (despite they
> seems
> > "saved" when entering the TAB menu), meaning that everytime i start a game, i need
> to
> > manually configure them at least once. They are recognized fine if i do that
> > manually, but its a chore do it every time for a new game
>
> What happens with official MAME? The Tab menu is strictly a MAME thing (nothing to do
> with MAMEUI), so results should be identical. Make sure your mame.ini has the
> cfg_directory set to "cfg".
>
> >
> > Also,don't know if its related, but setting "allow selection by joystick" doesn't
> > work either
> >
> > Any help?
>
> If I had a joystick I could investigate, but I don't, so it may well be broken. If
> it's a problem in MAMEUI then it probably won't get fixed.
Just tried official mame..everything works fine there..both the joystick menu controls and the configuration settings

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#379024 - 10/18/18 01:58 AM

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/19/08
Send PM

Re: Controls set in "Input General" are not saved. Saved fine in "input this machine" new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#379034 - 10/18/18 08:12 PM

> Since Windows is seeing them as USB Generic Joysticks MAME is probably getting those
> winID's for the controllers & that will change each time you run MAME, thus you have
> to re-do them everytime. I've never had to deal with that but I think there is a
> semi-workaround in the forum here somewhere.

I'm still looking for that workaround because I've had to deal with that many times lol.

> MAME isn't about playing the games anyway.

Solstar
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Controls set in "Input General" are not saved. Saved fine in "input this machine" new [Re: Robbbert]
#379053 - 10/19/18 09:14 AM

> > > >
> > > > Any help?
> > >
> > > If I had a joystick I could investigate, but I don't, so it may well be broken.
> If
> > > it's a problem in MAMEUI then it probably won't get fixed.
> > Just tried official mame..everything works fine there..both the joystick menu
> > controls and the configuration settings
>
> I don't know then... in that case you're better off not using MAMEUI, and it's one
> more reason to get rid of it. There you go Haze, some valid ammo.
>
> Solstar, can you try one more test, this time using ARCADE64? I'd be interested to
> know.

Yep, i think non-ui mame is getting much more user friendly now, so much that i will just use it on my cab, and possibly on my pc too

Sure thing i'll try ARCADE64 asap

Solstar
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Controls set in "Input General" are not saved. Saved fine in "input this machine" new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#379054 - 10/19/18 09:16 AM

> When you change the control in "Input (This Machine)" does it show a keyboard
> character or joystick up/down/right/left?
> Same for the buttons, Button A,B,C,D or ctrl, alt, space or ????
>
> Since Windows is seeing them as USB Generic Joysticks MAME is probably getting those
> winID's for the controllers & that will change each time you run MAME, thus you have
> to re-do them everytime. I've never had to deal with that but I think there is a
> semi-workaround in the forum here somewhere.
>
> Or it could be something completely different with what seem to be your odd i-pac
> decoded joysticks(?)...If it was an i-pac decoder it should say USB HID Device not a
> generic joystick & show key presses, not directions or button presses.
> Something odd going on with those for sure so I could be completely wrong & someone
> will correct my assumptions.

Yes it shows the controls, as i said earlier the controls are actually sadev, as in, they are "visible" in the input menu. they are just not saved "for real", unless i do that manually at least once on the "input this machine". after that they stay saved. but then again, on non-ui mame it just worked the first time around on "input general"

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#379143 - 10/26/18 10:43 AM

On-topic: Does it work correctly if you use MAMEUI from the command line like regular MAME? I haven't used UI since 0.89 (not to be confused with 0.189) so I can't comment on it still working, but back in those days it was identical if the UI part was bypassed.

Off-topic: 4MB for that screenshot? I can see the individual RGB subpixels in there it's that huge! Use Alt+PrtSc when capturing windows and dialog boxes (assuming a Windows PC), paste into a paint program and save the file as a PNG (not JPEG or BMP) so it doesn't take 15 seconds to download (also think of the phone users which have crappy download plans such as 512MB or 2GB, the phone companies are making a killing selling internet plans for 20x the price of identical internet plans for PC users). MAMEWorld's forum code doesn't actually generate a thumbnail image, it just shrinks the full sized image to fit the page so everyone is forced to download the image whether they want to or not.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 204 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 511