MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Galaxian
Lurker
Reged: 09/22/03
Send PM

Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched)
#378727 - 09/30/18 02:14 PM

Hi

I cannot get mame to initialize direct 3d and get the following error:

Unable to create the Direct 3D device

Unable to initialize Direct3D 9

Fatal error: Unable to complete window creation

I've reverted back to mame64 201 and get no problem.

My graphics card is Nvidia Geoforce GTX 750.

Updating the graphics card driver and Direct X has not solved the issue.

Running Windows 10.

Cheers

Edited by Galaxian (09/30/18 02:16 PM)

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched) new [Re: Galaxian]
#378728 - 09/30/18 02:33 PM

> Hi
>
> I cannot get mame to initialize direct 3d and get the following error:
>
> Unable to create the Direct 3D device
>
> Unable to initialize Direct3D 9
>
> Fatal error: Unable to complete window creation
>
> I've reverted back to mame64 201 and get no problem.
>
> My graphics card is Nvidia Geoforce GTX 750.
>
> Updating the graphics card driver and Direct X has not solved the issue.
>
> Running Windows 10.
>
> Cheers

No error. Windows 7 and up requires installing the DX 9.0c redistributable package because the Direct X 10.0 and above are NOT backwards compatible.

Install this package from Microsoft:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

If for some reason this does not work for you, there are -video opengl and -video bgfx options to try.

Galaxian
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched) new [Re: Tafoid]
#378729 - 09/30/18 03:20 PM

Hi

I've already installed the DX 9.0c redistributable package.

Like I said, the issue has only manifested itself in MAME202. Direct 3D initialises just fine in MAME 201.

Also tried the opengl which works but I use HLSL effects.

Thanks.

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

#378733 - 09/30/18 07:37 PM

Could you post the output using the -verbose option?

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#378734 - 09/30/18 08:18 PM

Try deleting .cfg files from "mamedir\cfg\" folder... or rename the cfg folder entirely as a backup so you can restore it later if that's not the problem.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched) new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#378736 - 09/30/18 09:27 PM

> Try deleting .cfg files from "mamedir\cfg\" folder... or rename the cfg folder
> entirely as a backup so you can restore it later if that's not the problem.

Or just run mame with the -cc switch so it creates a default config file.

I used to have a lot of problems with MAME's video output too because I had really ancient config files that had stuff that was no longer supported. I just created a new config, ported over my folders and other settings, and things work fine now.

AHonikx
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/05/09
Send PM

#378766 - 10/03/18 03:59 AM

> Hi
>
> I've already installed the DX 9.0c redistributable package.
>
> Like I said, the issue has only manifested itself in MAME202. Direct 3D initialises
> just fine in MAME 201.
>
> Also tried the opengl which works but I use HLSL effects.
>
> Thanks.

I had a similar issue, only with 202, only when d3d. Make sure to update the HLSL folder as well, especially if you're using a derivative build that only distributes executables.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched) new [Re: AHonikx]
#378771 - 10/03/18 03:28 PM

> > Hi
> >
> > I've already installed the DX 9.0c redistributable package.
> >
> > Like I said, the issue has only manifested itself in MAME202. Direct 3D initialises
> > just fine in MAME 201.
> >
> > Also tried the opengl which works but I use HLSL effects.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> I had a similar issue, only with 202, only when d3d. Make sure to update the HLSL
> folder as well, especially if you're using a derivative build that only distributes
> executables.

If we're talking MAMEUI here then I'm not even sure the MAMEUI you get from the MAMEUI site is shipping with the proper files given that if you run it from the commandline with -hlsl you get no hlsl. Dropping the MAMEUI provided into a proper official 0.202 folder works fine.

Which doesn't surprise me at all at this point, there seems to be something seriously wrong with every single MAMEUI release recently. People really need to start using proper MAME and a frontend instead of that garbage. The people maintaining MAMEUI are incompetent at best.

The correct support files are essential, no site should be carrying 'just an exe' as an actual release distribution, likewise packaging with outdated support files will cause just as many issues.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched) new [Re: Haze]
#378774 - 10/04/18 12:54 AM

>

Haze
Send PM

Re: Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched) new [Re: Robbbert]
#378776 - 10/04/18 01:40 AM

> here then I'm not even sure the MAMEUI you get from the
> > MAMEUI site is shipping with the proper files given that if you run it from the
> > commandline with -hlsl you get no hlsl. Dropping the MAMEUI provided into a proper
> > official 0.202 folder works fine.
> >
> > Which doesn't surprise me at all at this point, there seems to be something
> seriously
> > wrong with every single MAMEUI release recently. People really need to start using
> > proper MAME and a frontend instead of that garbage. The people maintaining MAMEUI
> are
> > incompetent at best.
> >
>
> That ceasefire didn't last long. So, into round 3.
>
> MAMEUI (at least on my site) is distributed with all needed support files, as you
> would have found out if you'd bothered to check. You are the one who is incompetent.
>
> Your temporary ban hasn't taught you anything about how to get on with other people.
> You start flaming whenever you like and think you can get away with it. The sooner
> you are permanently kicked out of this place, the better for everyone.

The one on the MAMEUI site does not appear to work with the files included.

I had to copy it into an official MAME folder for HLSL to actually work, at which point it immediately started working.

Sorry, but I'll call things as I see them. The previous MAMEUI had broken 68k stuff that affected NeoGeo, another one not long before that had something else fucked up with the NeoGeo. This is incompetent, especially as baseline was fine. Nobody should be using MAMEUI at this point, it clearly isn't fit for purpose and that comes down to one person.

If anybody needs the boot it's you. You continue to be utterly disrespectful towards the project with your backdoors, broken releases, releases that aren't properly synced to baseline and other junk while acting the fool and pretending you don't know.

If you don't want me to call out MAMEUI as badly maintained garbage, stop making it badly maintained garbage? There are a LOT of far better options to use with regular MAME at this point, and all it does is prevent people from experiencing better things.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

#378777 - 10/04/18 02:15 AM

>

anikom15
Send PM

Why does MAMEUI need to continue to exist? (nt) new [Re: Robbbert]
#378781 - 10/04/18 05:39 AM

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

Re: Why does MAMEUI need to continue to exist? (nt) new [Re: anikom15]
#378782 - 10/04/18 06:04 AM

>

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/19/08
Send PM

Re: Why does MAMEUI need to continue to exist? (nt) new [Re: Robbbert]
#378783 - 10/04/18 09:26 AM

The integrated MEW/UI despite being a bit stiff could be enough to make all alternatives look mostly redundant, allowing to say "but what you seek MEW/UI already does"...which would be true if it was working properly on all aspects.
No I won't stop bitching about MT#06171 because it's a shame.

> MAME isn't about playing the games anyway.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched) new [Re: Robbbert]
#378784 - 10/04/18 11:41 AM

> > The one on the MAMEUI site does not appear to work with the files included.
> >
> > I had to copy it into an official MAME folder for HLSL to actually work, at which
> > point it immediately started working.
> >
>
> I have no control over that site. You can't blame me although you will anyway.
>

You are thanked for providing the 'exe' every release, which I thought was just bad wording, and you were actually providing the full package, if not, that's the fatal mistake you've made (again). Either way, since you're providing it directly, and are named as the provider, it *is* your responsibility. If you're not providing it directly and it's instead being lifted from somewhere else without your permission then you need to have words with John IV for stealing your exe, because that is the 'official' UI site, and that is what people use and it is not doing the reputation of MAMEUI any good at all.

I mentioned this because I was following up on a related support request from somebody, telling me that HLSL was broken in MAMEUI. I repeated their steps, reproduced their issue and was able to solve it by telling them to use the proper support files from 0.202. It just seems that every release somebody is finding something wrong with MAMEUI, bugs that really shouldn't even be possible. I posted about it here, because the topic here seems to relate to a similar error / having the incorrect support files.

> What would you do if it was perfect in every way? You'd continue to dig up or make up
> stories about it. And if I bowed to your wishes and stopped making other builds,
> you'd still spend large amounts of time to look for something I might have done wrong
> somewhere. And if you couldn't find anything, you'd make up a few lies. It's the kind
> of person you are.
>
> I would like to end MAMEUI one day, but it will continue while you keep talking about
> it.

If it was actually good, I'd say it was good. I have no problem giving credit where it's due.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

#378785 - 10/04/18 12:47 PM

> > I have no control over that site. You can't blame me although you will anyway.
> >
> You are thanked for providing the 'exe' every release, which I thought was just bad
> wording, and you were actually providing the full package, if not, that's the fatal
> mistake you've made (again). Either way, since you're providing it directly, and are
> named as the provider, it *is* your responsibility. If you're not providing it
> directly and it's instead being lifted from somewhere else without your permission
> then you need to have words with John IV for stealing your exe, because that is the
> 'official' UI site, and that is what people use and it is not doing the reputation of
> MAMEUI any good at all.

Again, you assume things without checking it out first, then throwing these unstantiated "facts" around, things that I shouldn't have to explain.

1. I build and package MAMEUI with the correct release files, and upload these as 7z files to a primary and a backup site. There is a 32-bit package and a 64-bit package.

2. Anyone who downloads is not "stealing", it's freely offered to the public.

3. I *assume* that John downloads the 64-bit package, extracts the exe and adds it to his own package. But you'll have to ask him. It's nothing to do with me, and I cannot possibly have any control over the process, and the licence prohibits this kind of control, even if I wanted to.

4. So, if you want to blame me, you have to download the package from MY SITE, not anywhere else, check the contents and do testing. If you find something wrong which I can duplicate, then I'll accept it.

5. Blaming me for what others do is not right. It's just like if someone took official MAME and packaged it incorrectly. Will you blame MAMEdev for that? Of course not. That's just being silly.

6. I'm holding on to the possibility of some decency in you, somewhere... and I'm hoping you'll see some sense in what I say. If not, well... I did try.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Why does MAMEUI need to continue to exist? (nt) new [Re: LensLarque]
#378787 - 10/04/18 03:49 PM

> No I won't stop bitching about MT#06171 because it's a shame.

If you want it fixed, you need to find out 1) was it actually fixed in 0.174 and 2) if it was, what version broke it again.

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Why does MAMEUI need to continue to exist? (nt) new [Re: R. Belmont]
#378792 - 10/04/18 08:48 PM

> > No I won't stop bitching about MT#06171 because it's a shame.
>
> If you want it fixed, you need to find out 1) was it actually fixed in 0.174 and 2)
> if it was, what version broke it again.

I'll do that but only after at least one concerned dev actually bothers to try and reproduce seriously to confirm the issue is present in current MAME (and it is)
Want me to tell more about it and show more reproduction of it? no problem.

But you won't send me away on a long quest testing a ton of previous versions again if there's no one qualified to ascertain the issue and check before I leave, and after I return with what I'll find.

I'm not asking anyone to fix it asap, I'm asking mamedev to at least ascertain/confirm, take the issue seriously that's all, right now I don't trust you do.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Why does MAMEUI need to continue to exist? (nt) new [Re: R. Belmont]
#378795 - 10/04/18 10:22 PM

> If you want it fixed, you need to find out 1) was it actually fixed in 0.174

No, it was actually fixed in 0.173, and is ridiculously easy to reproduce in 0.172.

> and 2)
> if it was, what version broke it again.

Working on that now.

Edit 1: The issue was still fixed as of 0.187.
Edit 2: 0.194 exhibits the issue once more.
Edit 3: 0.190 exhibits the issue once more.
Edit 4: 0.189 exhibits the issue once more.
Edit 5: 0.188 exhibits the issue once more. Re-testing with 0.187 again verifies that the issue was still fixed as of 0.187, so the behavior regressed between 0.187 and 0.188.
Edit 6: An archived daily build from 14 July 2017, roughly halfway between 0.187 and 0.188, built off of changeset 45fdeec9(...), exhibits the issue once more.
Edit 7: An archived daily build from 7 July 2017, built off of changeset c338b974(...), exhibits the issue once more.
Edit 8: An archived daily build from 3 July 2017, built off of changeset 4ea3dde4(...), exhibits the issue once more.
Edit 9: An archived daily build from 22 June 2017, built off of changeset a202e211(...), does not exhibit the issue.
Edit 10: An archived daily build from 24 June 2017, built off of changeset 4a4883dd(...), does not exhibit the issue.
Edit 11: An archived daily build from 26 June 2017, built off of changeset 54567f76(...), exhibits the issue once more.
Edit 12: An archived daily build from 25 June 2017, built off of changeset fb61e98c(...), exhibits the issue once more.

We can therefore infer from this that the issue was re-introduced in one of the commits made between 24 June 2017 and 25 June 2017.

Edit 13: Changeset d09534c3(...) from 24 June 2017 does not exhibit the issue.

Edited by MooglyGuy (10/04/18 11:18 PM)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#378796 - 10/04/18 11:50 PM

> I'm not asking anyone to fix it asap, I'm asking mamedev to at least
> ascertain/confirm, take the issue seriously that's all, right now I don't trust you
> do.

No, I don't think RB takes the issue seriously, either. In fact, I think once he reads this post of mine and sees who and what is responsible for the issue, he'll be even less likely to want to take up the mantle and fix it. I know that now that I've tracked down who and what caused it, I have precisely zero interest in fixing another dev's code. Least of all when it's part of such a monolithic change as this one.

In this case, the issue was re-introduced with this changeset: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/b193e05cd7c8456a2648d43854645da84f56ddbd

It's a Nathan "Bletch" Woods special, aptly named "Overhaul to how MAME handles options, take two". I guess it needs a take three, because the current INI behavior is flatly unacceptable.

If I had to hazard a guess, the source of all of this misery is the removal of this exact line while implementing no functional replacement: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/b...2c9a2184cabL205

The intention of that line seems obvious: At the start of the machine's execution, it would previously call m_options.revert with the highest-priority INI setting, to peel off any game-specific INI settings which had previously been applied.

With that line removed, any game-specific INI settings are free to linger on even after the user has returned to the internal UI and launched another game.

How best to fix it? You got me, the front-end code isn't exactly the greatest thing since sliced bread.

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#378797 - 10/05/18 12:09 AM

If it's the guy that closed his issue this morning it sounded like they just used the .exe and didn't expand and overwrite the new HLSL files from the dist package.

FYI I simply take the .exe from Robbbert's site and plop it into my distribution directory structure. Then I copy in all the support folders and the whatsnew from the official commandline dist and then do sanity checks on it to make various games kick off properly when launched.

I'll double check that something didn't go wrong w/ the package when I get home when I have the ROMs to do it. Actually I just tried it here extracting the package from my site w/ Pong and it was fine (I have DX9 installed here).

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#378799 - 10/05/18 12:49 AM

> I'm not asking anyone to fix it asap

Too bad, I'm fixing it ASAP. I've tested a fix against the specific broken changeset from the 0.188 cycle, I'm now compiling a two-driver build of top-of-tree to ensure that my fix still works after a year and a quarter.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched) new [Re: John IV]
#378800 - 10/05/18 12:55 AM

> If it's the guy that closed his issue this morning it sounded like they just used the
> .exe and didn't expand and overwrite the new HLSL files from the dist package.
>
> FYI I simply take the .exe from Robbbert's site and plop it into my distribution
> directory structure. Then I copy in all the support folders and the whatsnew from the
> official commandline dist and then do sanity checks on it to make various games kick
> off properly when launched.
>
> I'll double check that something didn't go wrong w/ the package when I get home when
> I have the ROMs to do it. Actually I just tried it here extracting the package from
> my site w/ Pong and it was fine (I have DX9 installed here).

Nah, the issue I had reported didn't originate here.

There's definitely something iffy about the MAMEUI distribution that's on the site at the moment tho.

The easiest test case I had for reproducing the issue reported to me was using it as a commandline app.

I ran 'mameui64 pacman -hlsl' in a folder extracted with the distribution on the MAMEUI site and HLSL wasn't functional.

I copied the mameui64.exe into an actual 0.202 folder with 0.202 resources, ran 'mameui64 pacman -hlsl' again and in that folder it worked fine.

So there's definitely something different between the folders. I didn't go as far as investigating what, but there must be something.

I told the guy reporting that it was failing from the GUI to do the same, and he said that resolved his issue and that HLSL worked fine. He said he hadn't had this issue with prior releases (only the other issues that I mentioned) so it seems something isn't quite right with the 0.202 release? I'm not overly familiar with MAMEUI, but I do like to at least stay on top of these things so that when people report them I can give them an easy fix.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Fixed new [Re: LensLarque]
#378802 - 10/05/18 01:22 AM

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/f522870d8acf3e12ab0845272844561d9195fe4d

anikom15
Send PM

Re: Why does MAME need to have a GUI frontend? (nt) new [Re: Robbbert]
#378803 - 10/05/18 01:28 AM

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#378804 - 10/05/18 01:43 AM

I'm observing a difference in the .ini handling that probably accounts for this issue.

If I create a mame.ini with mameui64.exe it's missing its full inipath line. It just has the home directory. This is different from the baseline .exe which creates a .;ini;ini/presets that lets you get to the raster.ini.

If you run 'mameui64 pongf -hlsl_enable' with the mameui produced mame.ini it doesn't find the raster.ini and doesn't show the mask/aperture effect (although it's probably running hlsl with the default non-impressive settings from the mame.ini section)

If you put the mame.ini created by baseline mame64.exe into the home directory of mameui and run the same command line it works as it finds raster.ini.

So the support files would seem to be ok in my dist package; it just appears to be the .ini handling in my estimation.

MG - Thanks for the other .ini fix.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Fixed new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#378808 - 10/05/18 06:35 AM

> https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/f522870d8acf3e12ab0845272844561d9195fe4d

Thank you SO MUCH! *tears of joy* Seriously.

Best MAME news of the year for me.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: Fixed new [Re: LensLarque]
#378809 - 10/05/18 07:00 AM

> > https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/f522870d8acf3e12ab0845272844561d9195fe4d
>
> Thank you SO MUCH! *tears of joy* Seriously.
>
> Best MAME news of the year for me.

Ayyyyy, happy to help! When I get really keyed into a bug, I can't stop until it's fixed.

I'm just glad it ended up being a fairly obvious oversight, and that the revamped options code was similar enough that I could graft the two relevant functions back in.

Game on!

Galaxian
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched) new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#378846 - 10/07/18 01:12 PM

That didn't work.

Haze
Send PM

#378847 - 10/07/18 01:19 PM

> That didn't work.

are you using a proper distribution from
https://www.mamedev.org/release.php

have you extracted it properly into a fresh folder (no overwriting of an old install etc.)

have you tried running it from the commandline with the '-verbose' option to see where it fails?

you've not providing enough information for anybody to help you with this, it sounds very much like you've got mismatched support files tho which is usually a user error caused by trying to use non-official versions (and failing to mention that when asking for support thus wasting our time) or not extracting the entire package properly.

Galaxian
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched) new [Re: AHonikx]
#378848 - 10/07/18 01:20 PM

Thanks. That worked.

Haze
Send PM

#378849 - 10/07/18 01:22 PM

> Thanks. That worked.

out of interest why wasn't that the FIRST thing you tried?

if you don't install the software properly, including the support files, how do you expect it to work properly?

we package everything up with every single release so that this is never an issue, yet people seem to end up with it being an issue again and again.

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

#378851 - 10/07/18 07:10 PM

One of the main reasons why this is happening so often is, because it works like 95% in all cases and people want to keep their carefully created .inis . And .ini handling is the worst of the worst in MAME, TBH.
Each Time if MAME changes something regarding the .inis, its the time where most people think about, if such a update is worth, going through a hell lot of work, in making new .inis or "correcting" old ones.
It would be a lot easier, if MAME could update nondestructively like i.e. VLC player does, where you never lose your ini or preferences.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched) new [Re: uman]
#378855 - 10/07/18 09:11 PM

> One of the main reasons why this is happening so often is, because it works like 95%
> in all cases and people want to keep their carefully created .inis . And .ini
> handling is the worst of the worst in MAME, TBH.
> Each Time if MAME changes something regarding the .inis, its the time where most
> people think about, if such a update is worth, going through a hell lot of work, in
> making new .inis or "correcting" old ones.
> It would be a lot easier, if MAME could update nondestructively like i.e. VLC player
> does, where you never lose your ini or preferences.

Or you simply delete the ini folder from the newest MAME release.7z before extraction...

Of course you can always make backups of your cfg and ini folders as well.

When people run MAME without their gamepad connected then you simply copy over your cfg folder to undue the damage :P

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched) new [Re: B2K24]
#378859 - 10/07/18 09:41 PM

I hope you know, that the cases i described, will not work with your precious tips. Some MAME updates will simply crash if old .ini's are used.

Haze
Send PM

#378863 - 10/08/18 12:26 AM

> One of the main reasons why this is happening so often is, because it works like 95%
> in all cases and people want to keep their carefully created .inis . And .ini
> handling is the worst of the worst in MAME, TBH.
> Each Time if MAME changes something regarding the .inis, its the time where most
> people think about, if such a update is worth, going through a hell lot of work, in
> making new .inis or "correcting" old ones.
> It would be a lot easier, if MAME could update nondestructively like i.e. VLC player
> does, where you never lose your ini or preferences.

This is nothing to do with inis tho. This is literally the updated HLSL folder, that is essential for the new version to work, not being extracted even if we ship it and don't provide any way for people to not extract it without jumping through the hoops to extract only a single file (yet for any other situations people find the smallest hoop too much)

Also MAME is a significantly more complex piece of software than VLC, with a lot more that can change between releases. Even VLC gets messed up too, if I upgrade to the latest version the video converter only outputs audio, not video, and since it seems to share ini files between installs it's actually *more* difficult to manage than MAME because I can't just have a folder and leave it be.

kevenz
Reged: 04/25/11
Send PM

#378868 - 10/08/18 01:18 PM

I had the same problem yesterday… I spent like an hour trying to update my video card driver, update directx, change mame64.exe version… until I realise that turning HLSL on and off actually caused this error.

You just have to copy the HLSL folder (version 202) over the old one and that's it…. mine was maybe 199 or 200.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched) new [Re: kevenz]
#378869 - 10/08/18 01:19 PM

> I had the same problem yesterday… I spent like an hour trying to update my video card
> driver, update directx, change mame64.exe version… until I realise that turning HLSL
> on and off actually caused this error.
>
> You just have to copy the HLSL folder (version 202) over the old one and that's it….
> mine was maybe 199 or 200.

0202 comes with the new one, EVERY version of MAME comes with whatever the correct one is at the time of release.

You have to actively try to subvert the upgrade process in order to not get the correct one.

If people can't even update the HLSL folder properly I dread to think what the state of their other support folders is and MAME is only going to become more dependant on files that are not the .exe as time goes on. (I imagine we'll end up pulling all the dipswitch names and default values from external files at some point)

MAME IS NOT JUST AN EXE FILE

MAME HAS NOT JUST BEEN AN EXE FILE FOR NEARLY 20 YEARS

anikom15
Send PM

#378873 - 10/08/18 07:42 PM

Has there been any discussion about an installer? I would rather keep it portable but it might come to that point.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched) new [Re: anikom15]
#378876 - 10/08/18 08:19 PM

What do you mean by an installer? When you download MAME through the official website, it comes in a .EXE executable that extracts everything you need to the desired folder. As long as people don't tamper with the installer, it should do everything you need. What else do you want?

The common problem is that people aren't just running the installer. They're just extracting the files they want (which usually is just the mame.exe file) and that causes a lot of problems, and causes unnecessary questions in the forums, that could have been avoided if they just ran the executable as was intended.

Edited by Envisaged0ne (10/08/18 08:21 PM)

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched) new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#378877 - 10/08/18 08:40 PM

What about putting all of the read-only files that are required by each MAME version into some kind of a container format so that they are all bundled together into one file?

Java does this with "JAR" files. It groups class/properties files together into a single file and there's a manifest file included that provides build and versioning info.

Or just compile them into the MAME EXE. Who really cares how big it is?

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Haze
Send PM

Re: Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched) new [Re: krick]
#378878 - 10/08/18 08:44 PM

> What about putting all of the read-only files that are required by each MAME version
> into some kind of a container format so that they are all bundled together into one
> file?
>
> Java does this with "JAR" files. It groups class/properties files together into a
> single file and there's a manifest file included that provides build and versioning
> info.
>
> Or just compile them into the MAME EXE. Who really cares how big it is?

The linker cares unfortunately.

Also things like the lua scripts are meant to serve as external examples of how to do things; they're not very useful if they're internalized.

The bigger layouts are (IMHO) likely to end up external too, or part of the ROMsets (like the SVGs) but on current showing absolutely nobody can be trusted to update MAME properly.

anikom15
Send PM

Re: Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched) new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#378879 - 10/08/18 08:56 PM

That’s not an installer. An installer is a script or program that handles updates as well. Right now if you extract the installer in the same directory as a previous install you need to explicitly tell Windows to replace files and it doesn’t handle orphan files either. The best practice right now is to keep MAME versions in separate folders and keep user files in another folder.

anikom15
Send PM

#378881 - 10/08/18 09:01 PM

I think the file layout could be improved. There could be a more clear indication of what is system and what is user.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#378898 - 10/09/18 01:46 AM

> I think the file layout could be improved. There could be a more clear indication of
> what is system and what is user.

that would be a good start at least.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#378899 - 10/09/18 01:46 AM

> This is nothing to do with inis tho. This is literally the updated HLSL folder, that
> is essential for the new version to work, not being extracted even if we ship it and
> don't provide any way for people to not extract it without jumping through the hoops
> to extract only a single file (yet for any other situations people find the smallest
> hoop too much)
>
> Also MAME is a significantly more complex piece of software than VLC, with a lot more
> that can change between releases. Even VLC gets messed up too, if I upgrade to the
> latest version the video converter only outputs audio, not video, and since it seems
> to share ini files between installs it's actually *more* difficult to manage than
> MAME because I can't just have a folder and leave it be.

First i am sorry i couldnt earlier reply, but my last post was typed via a iphone 4s from my girlfriend :/
As i had no intention to write a book, i hoped you would still understand what i was trying to tell you. It seems it didnt go well.

The main point from my last post was to show you, why people tend to just copy the MAME.exe from a fresh install:

1. because it is everything you need in 95% of the cases.
2. people want to keep their settings, being it .ini´s, aspect ratios, pixel perfect resolutions, nvram or anything else, what they think is worth to keep or dont want to be altered by a major MAME update and the resulting destructive fresh install.

So if you want to see a change, you should think about those two points at least and i hope you see that these two points are also somehow connected. You need to think in DAU shoes.

I am aware that MAME is more complex vs. a VLC install, but i just wanted to give you a example, nothing more. BTW, my settings (even for encoding) in VLC always worked like intended. Version by version, no hassle, no extra work. If you want complex apps, how about Adobe CC suite?
It would be a nightmare to go through all preferences for each app again, after each update. You only do that by a version jump, which happens only once in a year.

Sadly this is not the case with MAME. A update could mean: start everything from scratch again. So this is quite the opposite from what your statement "it's actually *more* difficult to manage than MAME because I can't just have a folder and leave it be." tries to imply here.

Your case is only true, if you dont care about your past settings. But most users have serious ambitions with MAME and how it is presented on their hardware. Trying to have control over that, is not a silly task, like you maybe think and there are scenarios where this is just a pain in the ass. So this could explain a little why "yet for any other situations people find the smallest hoop too much".

I was also aware that the culprit in this case was a updated HLSL folder, but i tell you what. The same thing happened with the first major update for HLSL from Jezze (i think it was 0.162) and guess what, even you devs maked the mistake to NOT update the artwork folder and so on release the only working version, was the MAMEUIFX one. Shi.. errors happen, its human behaviour None of the users or mamesick came here, to bitch around that problem. Just saying.

Like i said, think in DAU shoes, have more empathy with users that try to have control over their collection. live and let live.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#378910 - 10/09/18 06:55 AM

> That’s not an installer. An installer is a script or program that handles updates as
> well. Right now if you extract the installer in the same directory as a previous
> install you need to explicitly tell Windows to replace files and it doesn’t handle
> orphan files either. The best practice right now is to keep MAME versions in separate
> folders and keep user files in another folder.

What?

Am I weird for just unzipping every new MAME distribution to the same folder, telling it to overwrite files, when it's released?

anikom15
Send PM

Re: Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched) new [Re: Foxhack]
#378911 - 10/09/18 09:28 AM

It’s okay so long as you overwrite.

Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/09/16
Send PM

#378922 - 10/09/18 04:07 PM

I don't think it's so hard to update the ini files from a fresh install. Just take the inis you need, use notepad++ compare plugin (for example) to overwrite or keep the settings. It takes 5min, no more.

Never had problems with MameUI grabbing the files from AntoPisa's site, and updating or overwritting the ini or cfg files.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched) new [Re: Sthiryu]
#378945 - 10/11/18 02:55 PM

> I don't think it's so hard to update the ini files from a fresh install. Just take
> the inis you need, use notepad++ compare plugin (for example) to overwrite or keep
> the settings. It takes 5min, no more.
>
> Never had problems with MameUI grabbing the files from AntoPisa's site, and updating
> or overwritting the ini or cfg files.

I can only repeat myself: Your case is only true, if you dont care about your past settings.

I am not talking about the default.ini´s. I am talking about self created ones on a per game basis. Also, like i said, there is more than just .ini files: cfg-files, nvram, save states and so on. It dont take you minutes, it takes you hours and that each time MAME changes something regarding those files.

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

#378947 - 10/11/18 05:12 PM

Only update once evey few months and it's more bearable to redo a lot of things from scratch IMHO.

I'd much prefer a solution for that controller not saving thing, which erases your mappings if you carelessly unplug and forget to set a cfg on read-only (for which having to do that is already by itself a very bad thing since it locks other useful settings)
That has to be the one most absurd and infuriating thing in MAME useability-wise. There's a page about stable controller ID in the docs but it's mostly hieroglyphs and I don't even know if it's describing an actual solution or an ancient cooking recipe.

Dealing with a fresh new MAME install is much les bothersome than having regular fights with the one you already have, methinks.

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/15
Send PM

#378949 - 10/11/18 09:53 PM

> Am I weird for just unzipping every new MAME distribution to the same folder, telling
> it to overwrite files, when it's released?
Just overwriting doesn't always work. I remember getting some problems with the controls in certain systems in one of the latest updates, until I just unzipped everything to an empty folder.

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/15
Send PM

Re: VLC new [Re: Haze]
#378950 - 10/11/18 09:54 PM

> Even VLC gets messed up too, if I upgrade to the
> latest version the video converter only outputs audio, not video

Oh my god so that was why, thank you! :O

anikom15
Send PM

Re: Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched) new [Re: LensLarque]
#378952 - 10/12/18 03:41 AM

This is really an OS issue that shouldn’t fall in our scope.

HOWEVER there could be a switch that specifies to never overwrite a changed setting. I’m not sure how difficult it would be to implement.

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

Re: Why does MAMEUI need to continue to exist? (nt) new [Re: anikom15]
#379124 - 10/25/18 03:41 AM

If you do not like it, do not use it. Problem solved.
I however DO like it and use it.

Cigarettes exist, but I do not use them.
DubStep music exists but I do not listen to it.
Drugs exist, but I do not use them.
Apple products exist, but I do not use them.
Jewelry exists, but I do not wear it.
Japanese cars exist, but I do not drive them.
Sushi exists, but I do not eat it.

Do you see me complaining about it on the internet?
If you don't want it, DONT USE IT.

It is really not that hard...........

Edited by sirscotty (10/25/18 03:42 AM)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: Why does MAMEUI need to continue to exist? (nt) new [Re: sirscotty]
#379125 - 10/25/18 04:57 AM

> Do you see me complaining about it on the internet?

Yeah, your whole post reads as a complaint, really.

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

Re: Why does MAMEUI need to continue to exist? (nt) new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#379138 - 10/26/18 05:47 AM

You are missing the point. He is complaining because MameUI exists. I can not stand Apple, but you do not see me post about it.

anikom15
Send PM

Re: Why does MAMEUI need to continue to exist? (nt) new [Re: sirscotty]
#379166 - 10/27/18 09:52 PM

You can maintain it then.

kevenz
Reged: 04/25/11
Send PM

#379178 - 10/28/18 03:18 PM

Mame has an installer ? it's just a winzip self extrating .exe to me… but anyway… yeah it was my fault for just updating the mame64.exe and not all files.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#379194 - 10/30/18 04:05 PM

> Am I weird for just unzipping every new MAME distribution to the same folder, telling
> it to overwrite files, when it's released?

Yes, if you overwrite it should always work. But miss the overwrite even once and bad things could happen.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Apparent Direct 3d bug in mame64 202 (non patched) new [Re: LensLarque]
#379195 - 10/30/18 04:08 PM

> There's a page about stable controller ID in the docs but it's mostly hieroglyphs and
> I don't even know if it's describing an actual solution or an ancient cooking recipe.

There's a nice YouTube video with colorful pictures that shows how to set up the stable controller IDs.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Why does MAMEUI need to continue to exist? (nt) new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#379196 - 10/30/18 04:20 PM

> No, I don't think RB takes the issue seriously, either.

On the contrary, I did LensLarque the supreme courtesy of assuming their report wasn't bullshit and went directly into the "let's find out when this thing broke" phase without first verifying it, which I don't do for issues I don't take seriously.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 354 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2227