SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU: My instrument isn't obscene, it's scientific
#378718 - 09/28/18 07:49 PM

ClawGrip dumped a Scientific Instruments 5500

ClawGrip also dumped several Tetris bootlegs

ClawGrip also dumped a Rim Rockin' Basketball bootleg

Jorge Silva sent us a dump of an alt version of Heated Barrel and an alt version of Pocket Gal Deluxe (Asia v3.00)

If you want to help us with our current fundraiser click here:

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: DU: My instrument isn't obscene, it's scientific new [Re: Smitdogg]
#378720 - 09/28/18 08:15 PM

>ClawGrip dumped a Scientific Instruments 5500

A former neighbor [he moved away] would have been giddy seeing this being emulated even though emulation was never his thing. He once asked me: "Even if the arcade pong games were different from one another, why would you guys want to still bother emulating 20 different versions of Pong?"

btw: Kudos to this being supported. Star Castle (cocktail) [Brent Walker]

I only saw upright cabs of Star Castle at places I went to. The only vector monitor hardware Cinematronics cocktail table game I had ever seen at businesses in early 1980s was Armor Attack.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: DU: My instrument isn't obscene, it's scientific new [Re: Smitdogg]
#378726 - 09/30/18 10:20 AM

> ClawGrip dumped a Scientific Instruments 5500

A temperature controller with GPIB interface - nice.

JustNiz
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/29/15
Send PM

Re: DU: My instrument isn't obscene, it's scientific new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#378730 - 09/30/18 05:44 PM

Why even emulate something like this? Seriously where is this going to end? Are we soon gonna have wade through lists of room thermostats to get to the game we wanna play?

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: DU: My instrument isn't obscene, it's scientific new [Re: JustNiz]
#378731 - 09/30/18 06:04 PM

> Why even emulate something like this?

Why not?

ClawGrip
Reged: 10/19/03
Send PM

Re: DU: My instrument isn't obscene, it's scientific new [Re: Foxhack]
#378735 - 09/30/18 09:04 PM

I really enjoy dumping boards, arcade or not. Other people have fun emulating old devices, arcade or not. Finally, some other people like having those machines emulated, just to play games, to learn how they work, to have them documented or preserved somehow...

We're all contributing our time to MAME. There's no need to download a ROM and run it on MAME if you don't want to, and I will not tell anyone how to spend their spare time.

I'm really exciting to see old SPARC machines working on MAME (and i hate myself for trowing away all my obscure Sun hardware and software, like the Sun Spring OS, the Integraph port of Windows NT to SPARC, my prototipe Sun-DIBA set top boxes, my Sun-Matrox Leo FrameBuffers, my old SPARCStation Voyager...). Others will probably prefer optimizations on existing game emulations... Or maybe some progress on newer 3D hardware... But I do not question why someone works on something instead on what I'd like to have running on MAME.

That's my opinon, of course.

Best regards: Tomás

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: DU: My instrument isn't obscene, it's scientific new [Re: JustNiz]
#378739 - 10/01/18 03:45 AM

> Why even emulate something like this? Seriously where is this going to end? Are we
> soon gonna have wade through lists of room thermostats to get to the game we wanna
> play?

First of all what you download is your own business. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to download room thermostat ROMs. But if there were, it would be hilarious.

It helps if you think of it this way.

That room thermostat that annoys you so much might share significant bits of hardware with your favorite arcade game.

Each system exercise their particular components in their own way, but since MAME is modular and these components are shared between systems, this means that your favorite arcade game could potentially benefit from MAME emulating a room thermostat (ridiculous example lol)

Personally I'm not interested in "room thermostats" but I love that *maybe* someone out there is and I'd definitely follow the dev diary of someone working on emulating one <3

S

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: DU: My instrument isn't obscene, it's scientific new [Re: Sune]
#378741 - 10/01/18 04:16 PM

Are there any mobile phones that might be targets for MAME?

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: DU: My instrument isn't obscene, it's scientific new [Re: jonwil]
#378743 - 10/01/18 06:15 PM

> Are there any mobile phones that might be targets for MAME?

the vast majority of them.

problem is most get trashed / recycled, and most are based on tech that can't easily be dumped, so at best we might have a handful of encrypted firmware updates but no proper internal roms, no dsp roms etc.

also much of the unique software on them depended on services that are no longer around, where maybe (if you're lucky) an old downloaded copy on an old phone is your only hope (if they didn't require active servers to use in the first place)

also people kept personal information on phones / sim cards etc. so often want them securely destroyed.

also a lot of phones, even old ones, are more powerful than you'd imagine compared to the computers / arcade games MAME emulates. most of the software on the seems slow and crappy because it was Java based with software renderers etc.

ClawGrip
Send PM

Re: DU: My instrument isn't obscene, it's scientific new [Re: jonwil]
#378744 - 10/01/18 06:22 PM

> Are there any mobile phones that might be targets for MAME?

See, for instance, https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/nokia_3310.cpp

stephh
Happy Bonze
Reged: 07/23/06
Send PM

Re: DU: (Atari ?) Tetris bootlegs new [Re: Smitdogg]
#378750 - 10/02/18 05:53 AM

> ClawGrip also dumped several Tetris bootlegs

Is one of them playing the "Happy Birthday To You" theme instead of the default musics ?

Steph from The Ultimate Patchers

ClawGrip
Send PM

Re: DU: (Atari ?) Tetris bootlegs new [Re: stephh]
#378751 - 10/02/18 10:18 AM

> > ClawGrip also dumped several Tetris bootlegs
>
> Is one of them playing the "Happy Birthday To You" theme instead of the default
> musics ?

No, sorry, same romset (the one already on MAME) on seven different boards.

Regards: ClawGrip

JWallace
Steamrollered by cool things, and likes it that way
Reged: 09/22/03
Send PM

Re: DU: (Atari ?) Tetris bootlegs new [Re: ClawGrip]
#378752 - 10/02/18 12:03 PM

RE: the bootleg Stephh mentions - I think it's dumped already, but the problem is that the sound hardware for it is a musical doorbell chip connected to the board (a UM3482 for the doorbell fanboys, which is undoubtedly a clone of something). I did think about doing a simulation of the internals, but without the internal data I'd need the sheet music or MIDI for each song it plays to work out the frequencies, as my knowledge.

OK, it's not a thermostat, but I would take some sort of perverse pleasure in MAMEing that if I could get the material together.

http://agemame.mameworld.info

AGEMAME HQ - was once a thing, now isn't really.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: DU: (Atari ?) Tetris bootlegs new [Re: JWallace]
#378753 - 10/02/18 12:06 PM

> RE: the bootleg Stephh mentions - I think it's dumped already, but the problem is
> that the sound hardware for it is a musical doorbell chip connected to the board (a
> UM3482 for the doorbell fanboys, which is undoubtedly a clone of something). I did
> think about doing a simulation of the internals, but without the internal data I'd
> need the sheet music or MIDI for each song it plays to work out the frequencies, as
> my knowledge.
>
> OK, it's not a thermostat, but I would take some sort of perverse pleasure in MAMEing
> that if I could get the material together.

I guess they have some kind of internal rom / structure that contains the tunes?

JWallace
Send PM

Re: DU: (Atari ?) Tetris bootlegs new [Re: Haze]
#378755 - 10/02/18 12:24 PM

Looks like it's a mask ROM holding the frequency data, as you can set it up to one of three 'instruments', but it only holds 512 notes in total.

I think there's a lookup table for which notes belong to which song internally, as the implication of the datasheet is that the versions with fewer songs have each one being longer. There's a video out there that shows it working, looping through the stored data.

The datasheets are out there, such as they are, and it's a pretty simple IC.

EDIT: Just to mention, in the past when I looked into sheet music for this, the only one I couldn't find was simply referred to as 'Rabbits' - which I have to presume is not its real name.

Edited by JWallace (10/02/18 12:47 PM)

ClawGrip
Send PM

#378760 - 10/02/18 03:31 PM

Do you have IC part numbers, chip package or any info we can use to identify those parts?

I still have some more undumped tetris boards, and some of them are somehow different to the usual layout...

Thanks.

JWallace
Send PM

#378761 - 10/02/18 03:46 PM Attachment: Tetris (UM3482, bootleg).jpg 282 KB (0 downloads)

All I have from the original message is this photo of the PCB, I think there's a couple of 555's on there to do some discrete hardware stuff too.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

ClawGrip
Send PM

#378764 - 10/03/18 01:31 AM

> All I have from the original message is this photo of the PCB, I think there's a
> couple of 555's on there to do some discrete hardware stuff too.

The extra ROM seems to have the same 8KB repeating four times...

JWallace
Send PM

#378770 - 10/03/18 11:12 AM

Doesn't surprise me, it all looks like it latches into the existing game logic to look for what 'mode' it's in to play the music, rather than tapping any specific signal.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 163 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1029