MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

Vsync Study
#378425 - 09/02/18 09:30 PM

Has there been any thorough testing of input lag with vsync and/or triple buffering enabled? Ideally both drivers with a higher framerate and lower framerate than the screen would be tested to see the effects.

I'd do the tests myself, but don't want to redo anything anyone else has already covered.

MAMEDevs: any implementation differences between the video modes for vsync would be nice to know. I usually use D3D.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Re: Vsync Study new [Re: anikom15]
#378427 - 09/02/18 10:00 PM

I don't have any research for you to read, but the recommended method to reduce input lag and eliminate tearing is to use a freesync/gsync enabled gfx card/monitor and use a wired controller. If you want to get real fancy, look into using a CRT.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Vsync Study new [Re: anikom15]
#378428 - 09/03/18 12:46 AM

There's a bunch of research on input lag in the GroovyMAME forum.
Here's two threads on the subject...

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133194.0.html
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157930.0.html

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

Re: Vsync Study new [Re: krick]
#378445 - 09/04/18 05:00 AM

Thanks a lot, this will be a good start.

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/19/08
Send PM

Re: Vsync Study new [Re: DiodeDude]
#378457 - 09/05/18 09:37 AM

Alternatively; some non-FreeSync non-Gsync LCD monitors support a surprising number of custom resolution refreshes that are not listed in the monitor's specsheet nor the manual: refreshes like 55Hz or 58Hz from your cheap or old LCD? yeah might be a thing so just try it from your GPU's control panel custom resolutions utility.
Then if you turn switchres and syncrefresh on in the ini, MAME can use these to play the games at screen speeds closer to the game hardware's intended.
It'd be worth a longer discussion but in short from what I've seen and compared Groovy MAME is indeed better at this, it requires more configuration work though, and nothing being perfect in this world there are some limitations and little annoyances. Other advantage of note with Groovy is that you get -2 frames reduced lag by default using their d3d9ex build, which is faster than what any of the current normal MAME backends offer.
Of course FreeSync or Gsync are easier and more accurate, but if you're broke trying your setup at switcheres+syncrefresh can yield great results too if you're lucky, maybe not 100% accurate but much better than forcing everything to 60Hz or enduring triplebuffer's choppiness.

> MAME isn't about playing the games anyway.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 352 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 637