View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

VICE emulator updated to 3.2
#378270 - 08/23/18 08:24 AM

back in May, with license updates. I have yet to take c64 or c128 emulation for a spin in MAME. I should probably look up how to attach/swap disc images and such...

http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: VICE emulator updated to 3.2 new [Re: URherenow]
#378285 - 08/25/18 02:57 AM

> back in May, with license updates. I have yet to take c64 or c128 emulation for a
> spin in MAME. I should probably look up how to attach/swap disc images and such...
>
> http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/

c64 in MAME struggles for both performance and compatibility

it's a longish-term goal to get it right, but for now not really competitive with the likes of VICE for most common use cases

again, maybe people don't appreciate this honesty, when other projects like RA would rather just borrow and overhype features, but that is where things stand in terms of proper low-level emulation of the C64 in MAME.

I hope it improves, as while I dismissed the system in my younger years, looking back it was actually by far the most technologically advanced of the 8-bits, capable of near arcade perfect if programmed correctly.

Rygar9
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/08/08
Send PM

Re: VICE emulator updated to 3.2 new [Re: Haze]
#378291 - 08/25/18 07:05 PM

You really should take some time to check it out. While many of the titles on it are available on other platforms, in almost every case the C64 versions are graphically superior and the SID chip made them all superior in sound.

The biggest drawback to C64 emulation is the disk though. It's really slow, and the constant disk flipping isn't fun. When I say slow, I mean you can start something loading and go make lunch, come back, and it'll still be loading.

I've always struggled with this, because on one hand I'd like to see technology solve the problem and warp through disk loading & auto-detect disk flipping, but on the other hand it'd be very historically inaccurate.

MarlonK
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/03/09
Send PM

Re: VICE emulator updated to 3.2 new [Re: Rygar9]
#378294 - 08/25/18 11:27 PM

But WinVICE DOES have a warp mode - Alt + W and it runs as fast as your system allows, usually around several thousand percent. I load disk stuff in seconds.

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: VICE emulator updated to 3.2 new [Re: MarlonK]
#378295 - 08/26/18 01:37 AM

here is a good example of a recent high quality game the C64 can do:

https://youtu.be/1uHys7Vr-FY

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: VICE emulator updated to 3.2 new [Re: MarlonK]
#378318 - 08/27/18 06:05 PM

> But WinVICE DOES have a warp mode - Alt + W and it runs as fast as your system
> allows, usually around several thousand percent. I load disk stuff in seconds.

So does MAME - the Insert key skips frames to run at ludicrous speed, while F10 toggles the speed limiter without dropping frames (F10 can also be used in conjunction with the F8/F9 frame skip buttons) - Insert is actually faster though as its code seemingly comes from the days when MAME could actually skip more than 10 frames in a row (IIRC the frame skip used to go to 11 or 12).

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: VICE emulator updated to 3.2 new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#378319 - 08/27/18 06:12 PM

> > But WinVICE DOES have a warp mode - Alt + W and it runs as fast as your system
> > allows, usually around several thousand percent. I load disk stuff in seconds.
>
> So does MAME - the Insert key skips frames to run at ludicrous speed, while F10
> toggles the speed limiter without dropping frames (F10 can also be used in
> conjunction with the F8/F9 frame skip buttons) - Insert is actually faster though as
> its code seemingly comes from the days when MAME could actually skip more than 10
> frames in a row (IIRC the frame skip used to go to 11 or 12).

but that only helps when the system is video-bound.

c64 is not video bound, the bad performance comes from the tight sync etc. required between the CPUs, which is at it's worst while loading from disks, so Insert wins you absolutely nothing.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 650 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 795