MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Anyone know much about emulation podcasts from 1999?
#378227 - 08/20/18 07:18 AM

I was examining some random CD-Rs I bought uh, seven years ago - these were someone's emulation stash (lots of old roms, cracks, PC games and even this person's licensed copy of Amiga Forever!) but one of the CDs had files for a podcast called "Back in Time". The file names suggest that these were from early 1999 and the last file is dated June 15, 2000.

I've tried googling for info on this podcast, but have found nothing online. But I know there's a lot of old farts here so I figured I'd ask for help.

I intend to upload this stuff to the Internet Archive once I get more info on this (maybe a waybacked address or something.) So uh... anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Thanks.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Anyone know much about emulation podcasts from 1999? new [Re: Foxhack]
#378230 - 08/20/18 11:50 AM

>"Back in Time"

Info, episodes, etc here:

https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Back+in+Time+Podcast%22

Moose

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: Anyone know much about emulation podcasts from 1999? new [Re: Moose]
#378238 - 08/20/18 08:24 PM

> >"Back in Time"
>
> Info, episodes, etc here:
>
> https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Back+in+Time+Podcast%22

No, that ISN'T what I'm talking about. I'm asking about a retrogaming podcast from eighteen years ago, not a movie nostalgia podcast, which that archive.org link is.

In fact I'm pretty sure I can't find any relevant results to this specific podcast because of that series.

So, anyone else have a clue what I'm talking about?

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#378239 - 08/20/18 08:45 PM

> > >"Back in Time"
> >
> > Info, episodes, etc here:
> >
> > https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Back+in+Time+Podcast%22
>
> No, that ISN'T what I'm talking about. I'm asking about a retrogaming podcast from
> eighteen years ago, not a movie nostalgia podcast, which that archive.org link is.
>
> In fact I'm pretty sure I can't find any relevant results to this specific podcast
> because of that series.
>
> So, anyone else have a clue what I'm talking about?

were they even called 'podcasts' back in 1999? I don't recall that term being widely used until more recently.

maybe they are clips / episodes from online radio shows or something? maybe your search terms are wrong?

but yes, better known things by the same name are a big problem for this hobby

it's why we'll probalby never see a good dump of IREMs Green Beret, because the only person I contacted who had a copy threw it out thinking it was a bootleg of the worthless Konami game instead when really it's one of the most valuable 'at risk' games out there and predates the Konami thing by a good few years. The dump in MAME is missing a ROM.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: Anyone know much about emulation podcasts from 1999? new [Re: Haze]
#378240 - 08/20/18 08:52 PM

> were they even called 'podcasts' back in 1999? I don't recall that term being widely
> used until more recently.

I have no idea. I really didn't do much in those days... because I was stuck with a 28kbps dialup speed.

> maybe they are clips / episodes from online radio shows or something? maybe your
> search terms are wrong?

That could be the case. Wikipedia says the name started to be used around 2004. I don't think the files themselves use the word at all.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#378245 - 08/21/18 09:13 AM

> I was examining some random CD-Rs I bought uh, seven years ago - these were someone's
> emulation stash (lots of old roms, cracks, PC games and even this person's licensed
> copy of Amiga Forever!) but one of the CDs had files for a podcast called "Back in
> Time". The file names suggest that these were from early 1999 and the last file is
> dated June 15, 2000.
>
> I've tried googling for info on this podcast, but have found nothing online. But I
> know there's a lot of old farts here so I figured I'd ask for help.
>
> I intend to upload this stuff to the Internet Archive once I get more info on this
> (maybe a waybacked address or something.) So uh... anyone have any idea what I'm
> talking about?
>
> Thanks.

One of the good things for Retrogames still being online... all of the old news and old links are still there.

Found it here:

https://web.archive.org/web/19990508201310/http://www.emuclassics.com:80/backintime/

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

#378248 - 08/21/18 03:00 PM

The only one I listened to back in those days was 'Retro Radio' later renamed to 'Retro Gaming Radio' hosted by Shane R. Monroe. That show rocked! He was the true innovator, and paved the way for people like my current favorites like the Retroist, Rob Ohara, The crew over at Antic and others.

https://retrogamingradio.com/home/

Edited by sirscotty (08/21/18 03:04 PM)

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: Anyone know much about emulation podcasts from 1999? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#378254 - 08/22/18 01:52 AM

> > I was examining some random CD-Rs I bought uh, seven years ago - these were
> someone's
> > emulation stash (lots of old roms, cracks, PC games and even this person's licensed
> > copy of Amiga Forever!) but one of the CDs had files for a podcast called "Back in
> > Time". The file names suggest that these were from early 1999 and the last file is
> > dated June 15, 2000.
> >
> > I've tried googling for info on this podcast, but have found nothing online. But I
> > know there's a lot of old farts here so I figured I'd ask for help.
> >
> > I intend to upload this stuff to the Internet Archive once I get more info on this
> > (maybe a waybacked address or something.) So uh... anyone have any idea what I'm
> > talking about?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
>
> One of the good things for Retrogames still being online... all of the old news and
> old links are still there.
>
> Found it here:
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/19990508201310/http://www.emuclassics.com:80/backintime/

Hell yeah, this is totally it! Thanks man!

Edit: Apparently the site moved to its own domain later on, this includes two more podcasts that are on my CDR.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Update: I've uploaded the podcast new [Re: Foxhack]
#378732 - 09/30/18 07:18 PM

> I was examining some random CD-Rs I bought uh, seven years ago - these were someone's
> emulation stash (lots of old roms, cracks, PC games and even this person's licensed
> copy of Amiga Forever!) but one of the CDs had files for a podcast called "Back in
> Time". The file names suggest that these were from early 1999 and the last file is
> dated June 15, 2000.
>
> I've tried googling for info on this podcast, but have found nothing online. But I
> know there's a lot of old farts here so I figured I'd ask for help.
>
> I intend to upload this stuff to the Internet Archive once I get more info on this
> (maybe a waybacked address or something.) So uh... anyone have any idea what I'm
> talking about?
>
> Thanks.

Sorry for the bump, but I uploaded the files yesterday and they can be browsed here. Unfortunately, the site isn't able to convert the Real Media audio files to MP3, so I'm gonna have to ask for an admin to help out manually.

Also, it turns out we're missing four episodes! Info on that over here. (Though I guess AtariAge doesn't care...)

So yeah! Thanks for the help, everyone.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 702 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 714