MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

goodoldays
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/15/18
Send PM

SUPER NOOB WHO REALLY WANTS TO PLAY GOLDEN TEE!
#378168 - 08/15/18 04:22 PM

Hello everyone, please forgive me if this is in wrong area.

I built a cabinet, used an X Arcade control box with the track ball, purchased a Raspberry Pi 3b, and had someone install Retropie on it with some console and arcade console emulators.

All works fine for the most part- my favorite games won't save for some reason and saves stopped working on a lot of the consoles, but, sigh, that's for another day.

What I REALLY want to do is get the most recent version of Golden Tee running that I can. Right now I have 2K going just fine- which I believe is the most recent version I have on my unit...but I think I can get all the way to Fore / Complete?

I realize I need more CPU horsepower, that's no problem. I would just like to know what's the best fit, without going gonzo on $$$. I have read if played in a down-rez version that something as vanilla as an older intel i machine will work, if running fast enough. ??? I guess if there's a slightly more expensive option that will yield improved performance, I would be willing to spend...

Last, I am already WAY in over my head. I had massive problems just getting the X Arcade controller to work and I have SERIOUS reservations about getting mame/retropie set up on this new cpu. So then, my question is: is there a resource for guys like me willing to pay $'s for someone to get something like this running for me? I've looked a bit and even placed an ad on c-list with very little fortune.

ANY help on this would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
James

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: SUPER NOOB WHO REALLY WANTS TO PLAY GOLDEN TEE! new [Re: goodoldays]
#378172 - 08/15/18 08:23 PM

> Raspberry Pi 3b, and had someone install Retropie on it

This is where you went wrong and why you're having difficulty.

When you pick and choose hardware that's worth about the equivalent of a drink from Dutch Bros, you'll get exactly what you pay for including the disappointment that comes with it.

My opinion is get a modern i7 CPU or reasonable equivalent or else don't bother with it.

goodoldays
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: SUPER NOOB WHO REALLY WANTS TO PLAY GOLDEN TEE! new [Re: B2K24]
#378176 - 08/16/18 05:05 PM

Thanks?

As I mentioned in my post, I knew I would need more for the newer versions of GT. The Pi has- honestly- worked just fine, thus far- I suspect my 6 year old may have messed with some settings, on accident.

I picked up a 3rd gen i7 3770 3.4Ghz with 8 gigs of RAM yesterday, seems most are running the new GT's with less.

My new problem is finding GT 06/Complete at ALL. Many sites have it up to the 01 version that I already have, but many bigger ROM sites are either shut down now or don't have the ROM or CHD.

Again, I feel like I'm in over my head and losing confidence.

Thanks
James

B2K24
Send PM

#378177 - 08/16/18 05:47 PM

You'll need some ROMs plus a CHD for gtfore06 to work.

Some options are to join Pleasuredome (beware of a brief probation period) or you can search Archive.org

goodoldays
MAME Fan
Send PM

#378180 - 08/16/18 06:03 PM

Thanks,

I just found archive.org this AM and it looked more promising than most.

Another question: although downloading entire sets of MAME ROMS in 50 gig sets is perfect/doable...it seems they (Archive, at least) also make you download huge (500+ gig) CHD zips. Is that just the way it is, or can you find individual games?

Truthfully, this is 90% Golden Tee and I'm 98% happy.

Just how large is a CHD for say, GT?

Thanks again for the knowledge!

James

B2K24
Send PM

#378181 - 08/16/18 06:29 PM

They're about 1 GB a piece give or take.

You might be able to individually select what you want from here. I'm not in a position right now where I can try it.

See if you can cherry-pick from it and let us know.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#378185 - 08/16/18 10:35 PM

> I just found archive.org this AM and it looked more promising than most....
>
> ...it seems they (Archive, at least) also make you download huge...
>
> ...Is that just the way it is

On basically any archive.org offering, you can view the contents of the ZIPs (and some other file compression types), and from there, download files internal to that ZIP, by clicking on "Show All" by the download links and then on "View Contents" and then following the links.

Alternatively, take the URL for the ZIP download, add a slash to the end of the URL ("/") in your browser address bar, and hit Enter or "Go" or what have you. It will take you to the same "View Contents" page.

This works on any ZIP downloadable from archive.org, typically.

- Stiletto

goodoldays
MAME Fan
Send PM

#378235 - 08/20/18 05:13 PM Attachment: golden tee.JPG 12 KB (0 downloads)

Thanks- digging into it right now. Now, again, forgive my noobness please - this is JUST the CHD, right? I still need the ROM?

I ask as I have (seemingly, anyway) found the CHD a few times, but NOT the ROM.

EDIT/ADD: I went to download GT06 and it appears as a 1 GIG PDF that I cannot open?

Thanks
James

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by goodoldays (08/20/18 05:56 PM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 279 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3306