MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Another major website shuts down due to Nintendo's lawsuit...what's next?
#378085 - 08/09/18 07:30 PM

Will more and more sites shut down in fear of Nintendo's wrath? Do you think Nintendo has the right to go after these rom sites?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr37MxCbCoU

Edited by Envisaged0ne (08/09/18 07:31 PM)

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: Another major website shuts down due to Nintendo's lawsuit...what's next? new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#378094 - 08/10/18 05:24 AM

If these websites are violating Nintendo copyright then yes Nintendo has every right to enforce their IP rights.

That said, its just going to drive the pirates further underground (to places like torrents etc that are harder to shut down)

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Another major website shuts down due to Nintendo's lawsuit...what's next? new [Re: jonwil]
#378106 - 08/10/18 09:22 PM

Do you think that going after these sites will actually hurt Nintendo? Top Hat Gaming Man brings up some interesting points. Nintendo might be better off leaving the sites alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5e5X2ZXIN0

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
32GB DDR4 RAM

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Another major website shuts down due to Nintendo's lawsuit...what's next? new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#378118 - 08/12/18 01:32 AM

> Will more and more sites shut down in fear of Nintendo's wrath?

Yes.

Nintendo goes on rampages and shuts the door all over the place. And things relax again and ROM sites spring up again.

What is old is new again. We have seen it all before - in the 90's, 2000's, and again now.

In fact, this Rampage is really tame compared to what Nintendo has done in the past.

>Do you think Nintendo has the right to go after these rom sites?

It's their property. It is against the law to pirate / distribute / steal / sell / make money from someone else's IP in many countries.

Moose

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Another major website shuts down due to Nintendo's lawsuit...what's next? new [Re: jonwil]
#378119 - 08/12/18 01:33 AM

> If these websites are violating Nintendo copyright then yes Nintendo has every right
> to enforce their IP rights.
>
> That said, its just going to drive the pirates further underground (to places like
> torrents etc that are harder to shut down)

It will also drive the pirates to countries that ignore IP laws.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

smf
I've been here before
Reged: 01/16/15
Send PM

#378138 - 08/13/18 02:10 PM

> Do you think that going after these sites will actually hurt Nintendo?

No.

> Top Hat Gaming
> Man brings up some interesting points.

I watched the video, his points aren't interesting no matter how much he waves his hands and pulls faces.

On next weeks show:

Lambourghini's are very very expensive (wave hands), so I like to drive someone elses car without permission before I buy one (pull face). They aren't using it at midnight, so they shouldn't mind (talk in a condescending manner which makes it sound like I have a point).

> Nintendo might be better off leaving the sites
> alone

Try telling them that.

smf
I've been here before
Send PM

Re: Another major website shuts down due to Nintendo's lawsuit...what's next? new [Re: Master O]
#378139 - 08/13/18 02:22 PM

> It will also drive the pirates to countries that ignore IP laws.

Maybe they'll get ripped off by their hosting company, advertising agency or payment processor.

You can't expect to make money easily from piracy, which is what this guy was doing.

MarlonK
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/03/09
Send PM

Re: Another major website shuts down due to Nintendo's lawsuit...what's next? new [Re: smf]
#378142 - 08/13/18 05:50 PM

@John Doe

While I agree that TopHatGamingman is MASSIVELY irritating (I was subbed for about a week before wisely de-subbing and avoiding his subsequent output), I feel the one thing the world certainly DOESN'T need is people like you sucking corporate cock.

Don't get me wrong, no one should profit from free roms, whether directly or through advertising, but I still consider your attitude reprehensible.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Another major website shuts down due to Nintendo's lawsuit...what's next? new [Re: MarlonK]
#378144 - 08/13/18 06:58 PM

> @John Doe
>
> While I agree that TopHatGamingman is MASSIVELY irritating (I was subbed for about a
> week before wisely de-subbing and avoiding his subsequent output), I feel the one
> thing the world certainly DOESN'T need is people like you sucking corporate cock.
>
> Don't get me wrong, no one should profit from free roms, whether directly or through
> advertising, but I still consider your attitude reprehensible.

He's just a troll, best ignored. The majority of his replies are just trolling.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Another major website shuts down due to Nintendo's lawsuit...what's next? new [Re: Moose]
#378148 - 08/13/18 10:32 PM

> It's their property. It is against the law to pirate / distribute / steal / sell /
> make money from someone else's IP in many countries.

+1

If Nintendo are still selling games, whether they be crappy old 80s NES games on Virtual Console or the latest Switch games, it is up to them to make sure their IP remains protected - that's the entire point of copyright.

There are way more companies that are more strict than Nintendo, for example movie studios which are enforcing copyrights over films that haven't seen a release in over thirty years (including those which have never had a home release at all), with them making sure those pesky old VHS rips and bootleg DVDs are pulled from the internet ASAP (especially on YouTube), despite having no intentions whatsoever of releasing the movie again, be it digitally via Netflix or on DVD/Blu-Ray. The Keep Circulating The Tapes trope is a real thing.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Another major website shuts down due to Nintendo's lawsuit...what's next? new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#378149 - 08/13/18 10:57 PM

> > It's their property. It is against the law to pirate / distribute / steal / sell /
> > make money from someone else's IP in many countries.
>
> +1
>
> If Nintendo are still selling games, whether they be crappy old 80s NES games on
> Virtual Console or the latest Switch games, it is up to them to make sure their IP
> remains protected - that's the entire point of copyright.
>
> There are way more companies that are more strict than Nintendo, for example movie
> studios which are enforcing copyrights over films that haven't seen a release in over
> thirty years (including those which have never had a home release at all), with them
> making sure those pesky old VHS rips and bootleg DVDs are pulled from the internet
> ASAP (especially on YouTube), despite having no intentions whatsoever of releasing
> the movie again, be it digitally via Netflix or on DVD/Blu-Ray. The Keep Circulating
> The Tapes trope is a real thing.

The thing is a lot of that content IS NOT available to purchase these days, even if people want to.

The most popular 1st party games tend to be, although not always in unmodified form, once you start drifting beyond that it gets sketchy, very sketchy in terms of what you can purchase.

Sure, you can purchase the original cartridges, and hardware, and hardware to work with that hardware (because if you conntact a NES up to a modern set you usually get a really bad display with lag and disappointment)

For the rarer, more obscure titles you're often looking at high prices too.

I have several friends who collect older platforms and games, so they legally own them. You know how much money Nintendo get from those people? £0 because after paying out the nose for a lot of these classic games in original form they don't have the money to buy the new stuff.

We've already seen the 'war on 2nd hand games' with the digital movement, DLC etc. because the manufacturers / developers got pissy about people buying 2nd hand games, so clearly they don't actually see that as better than people pirating them anyway, except it's legal. I'm sure if they could get away with saying it wasn't legal they would there too.

So it's unclear what Nintendo actually want people to do here, simply not play the old games that aren't on their digital store at all? Only play exactly what is currently being offered via official digital stores and those piss-poor 'mini' consoles?

It's a balancing act, as I also have friends who download tons of games, emulators etc. and still spend a fortune on original Nintendo material. Nintendo are directly making a lot more money out of those people than the people actually going the legal route for playing these old games.

I'm not so much into Nintendo stuff myself anyway, but say this was Sega instead, I remember "The Super Shinobi" as being the game with Batman / Spiderman in it (as it was one of the import games I had) yet outside of downloading the ROM, or finding the original cartridge you literally can't play that version anymore, even if the game IS offered. For legal reasons, the proper version can't be sold even by Sega / Nintendo, instead we have to live with a modified version of history, that doesn't match what we remember. Do Sega / Nintendo want me paying what could be upwards of £100 for the original of something like that, with none of the money going to them, or would they rather I bought whatever new games they have coming out?

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Another major website shuts down due to Nintendo's lawsuit...what's next? new [Re: Master O]
#378159 - 08/15/18 01:16 AM

> > If these websites are violating Nintendo copyright then yes Nintendo has every
> right
> > to enforce their IP rights.
> >
> > That said, its just going to drive the pirates further underground (to places like
> > torrents etc that are harder to shut down)
>
> It will also drive the pirates to countries that ignore IP laws.

Well, no. If you have no money to buy games, how could you possible afford a plane ticket to Brazil?

S

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Another major website shuts down due to Nintendo's lawsuit...what's next? new [Re: Sune]
#378161 - 08/15/18 03:06 AM

> > > If these websites are violating Nintendo copyright then yes Nintendo has every
> > right
> > > to enforce their IP rights.
> > >
> > > That said, its just going to drive the pirates further underground (to places
> like
> > > torrents etc that are harder to shut down)
> >
> > It will also drive the pirates to countries that ignore IP laws.
>
> Well, no. If you have no money to buy games, how could you possible afford a plane
> ticket to Brazil?
>
> S

I was referring to the hosting of rom sites being in countries that ignore IP laws.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Send PM

#378163 - 08/15/18 03:35 AM

UUUummm, please tell me SUNE was just trying to make a joke & didn't literally think people would travel to foreign countries to get there ROMs :O

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
32GB DDR4 RAM

smf
I've been here before
Send PM

Re: Another major website shuts down due to Nintendo's lawsuit...what's next? new [Re: MarlonK]
#378194 - 08/18/18 07:38 PM

I feel the one
> thing the world certainly DOESN'T need is people like you sucking corporate cock.

I'm not. I am just not going to defend an idiot who was making money out of selling roms.

Trying to profit from youtube views by whipping up populist support on the issue is also bad.

I put it in the same league as Trump.

> Don't get me wrong, no one should profit from free roms, whether directly or through
> advertising, but I still consider your attitude reprehensible.

You appear to have the same attitude.

smf
I've been here before
Send PM

Re: Another major website shuts down due to Nintendo's lawsuit...what's next? new [Re: Haze]
#378195 - 08/18/18 07:39 PM

> He's just a troll, best ignored. The majority of his replies are just trolling.

Trolls always project.

smf
I've been here before
Send PM

Re: Another major website shuts down due to Nintendo's lawsuit...what's next? new [Re: Haze]
#378196 - 08/18/18 07:42 PM

> The thing is a lot of that content IS NOT available to purchase these days, even if
> people want to.

Legally that is irrelevant.

It's the commercial piracy sites that cause the problems.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Another major website shuts down due to Nintendo's lawsuit...what's next? new [Re: smf]
#378199 - 08/19/18 12:30 PM

> > The thing is a lot of that content IS NOT available to purchase these days, even if
> > people want to.
>
> Legally that is irrelevant.
>
> It's the commercial piracy sites that cause the problems.

and I'll add this to the list of troll replies, cutting off at the first line, typical troll behavior too.

this is an emulation site, arguing flat-out legality is trolling, because the majority here recognize that the law(s) are broken.

my point was more that Nintendo would be better acknowledging the same and looking at a more careful approach like most of the others because following the letter of the law isn't even necessarily of benefit to them either, and that their actions could quite easily be costing them income by forcing people down other more expensive avenues.

if there's one thing they don't seem to be touching it's the big money commercial piracy, there are still bootleg multi-games in expensive modern cabinets full of Nintendo stuff all over the place, bootleg NES based stuff in brand-name shops etc. and repro (bootleg) carts going for more than the original retail prices for some of the uncommon games too. Some tiny rom site basically nobody had ever even heard of until this came up isn't significant, heck even the places offering switch and wii u rips have been left entirely alone, when those likely are bringing in a lot of money.

kevenz
Reged: 04/25/11
Send PM

#378201 - 08/19/18 03:29 PM

I noticed since the last few weeks that a lot of popular romsites no longer host anything but thankfully there is still lots of sites that are hosting them.

Nintendo has the rights to protect their materials but why removing roms for other console ? for exemple Fairchild Channel F roms… why remove these? or Coleco or Intellivision...

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Re: Another major website shuts down due to Nintendo's lawsuit...what's next? new [Re: kevenz]
#378204 - 08/19/18 04:21 PM

> I noticed since the last few weeks that a lot of popular romsites no longer host
> anything but thankfully there is still lots of sites that are hosting them.
>
> Nintendo has the rights to protect their materials but why removing roms for other
> console ? for exemple Fairchild Channel F roms… why remove these? or Coleco or
> Intellivision...

To be fair to Nintendo, they only forced two of these recent sites to remove anything, by suing them. The others removed theirs out of fear, even though they really only had to remove 1st- (and maybe 2nd-) party roms from Nintendo and any trademarks (logos, gfx) of theirs. Nintendo couldn't (and wouldn't) do anything about the rest. But I suppose fear of other companies filing lawsuits same as Nintendo is enough to completely close shop. Who wants their lives ruined by a judgment they probably can never pay off?

smf
I've been here before
Send PM

#378205 - 08/19/18 04:51 PM

> and I'll add this to the list of troll replies, cutting off at the first line,
> typical troll behavior too.

Calling someone a troll is typical troll behaviour. Seriously, cutting down a post is not trolling. But if you insist, I'll answer every single part of your message.

> this is an emulation site, arguing flat-out legality is trolling, because the
> majority here recognize that the law(s) are broken.

Legality is very much on topic, otherwise you're just deluding yourself and others.

> my point was more that Nintendo would be better acknowledging the same and looking at
> a more careful approach like most of the others because following the letter of the
> law isn't even necessarily of benefit to them either,

Nintendo are prepared to pay money to laywers & they know that some people will get upset. Whether they think that it's worth it at any cost, or whether they have made a prediction on how much money they think they will lose if they don't take action and on balance it's less than they have paid out, is something only they know.

But your vague unquantifiable point only covers money and doesn't really even back that point up.

> and that their actions could
> quite easily be costing them income by forcing people down other more expensive
> avenues.

Or not. Random predictions based on limited experience is not helpful. It's a bit grubby to do it to boost one's own reputation.

> if there's one thing they don't seem to be touching it's the big money commercial
> piracy, there are still bootleg multi-games in expensive modern cabinets full of
> Nintendo stuff all over the place, bootleg NES based stuff in brand-name shops etc.
> and repro (bootleg) carts going for more than the original retail prices for some of
> the uncommon games too.

It's easier to go after someone who setup a rom site in the US and processed payments through the US than it is to go after chinese bootleggers.

It's a logical fallacy to think they should only go after one if they go after the other.

> Some tiny rom site basically nobody had ever even heard of
> until this came up isn't significant,

Because you hadn't heard of it then basically nobody had heard of it?

> heck even the places offering switch and wii u
> rips have been left entirely alone, when those likely are bringing in a lot of money.

Anyone profiting is likely on their radar & if they are operating in a country where it's illegal then Nintendo will likely take action, it doesn't have any relevance to your point though.

It's obvious where you stand on wide scale piracy, although you are pretty hypocritical when it comes to getting your own hands dirty.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

#378214 - 08/20/18 12:41 AM

I am surprised Nintendo (and other copyright holders) aren't going after the multi-game cabinets and the like. I know of a number of places running multi-game cabinets (that most likely contain games made by Nintendo in them) as well as companies selling multi-game cabinets on their site (again likely with games made by Nintendo in them)

And I am very surprised we dont see more action taken on people selling bootleg "repo" carts (or other bootlegs) on sites like eBay, especially given that eBay has tools to make going after such things easy (easy ways to get stuff taken down etc)

They also need to get more of their titles onto the virtual console and stop messing around and get the thing onto the Switch (under the same easy "anyone with the system can log on and just pay a one-off price per game" model that has worked so well on their other consoles and none of this extra pay-for-online-access or other crap that has been rumored). Oh and make more of those mini consoles, those seem to be selling like crazy and I am sure the rumored N64 mini (or a Game Boy mini that you could take on the go with you) would sell just as well.

IMO the Virtual Console and retro minis (NES and SNES) have done more to reduce piracy than any amount of enforcement action against pirate sites.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

#378215 - 08/20/18 02:31 AM

They should've made the mini's with more internal storage and internet connectable to a single storefront that allowed people to purchase more titles after the sale. Seriously, how hard could it have been?

I think we'll see a mini gameboy before an N64 because I don't think the appropriate SBC hardware is cheap enough yet. Maybe Nintendo has a bang up emulator that runs it perfect on current NES/SNES mini hardware, I dunno....

Oh, and make some extra controllers available for the SNES classic!

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Another major website shuts down due to Nintendo's lawsuit...what's next? new [Re: kevenz]
#378267 - 08/23/18 03:34 AM

> I noticed since the last few weeks that a lot of popular romsites no longer host
> anything but thankfully there is still lots of sites that are hosting them.
>
> Nintendo has the rights to protect their materials but why removing roms for other
> console ? for exemple Fairchild Channel F roms… why remove these? or Coleco or
> Intellivision...

Coleco had the rights to port Donkey Kong to a few consoles (not just the ColecoVision) in the early 80s. The Atari 2600 also had Mario Bros. along with the DK arcade games, but I don't think Coleco had anything to do with Mario. No idea about Channel F or Intellivision, it's probably just the site trying to cover its ass.

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

#379540 - 11/13/18 06:35 AM

https://torrentfreak.com/nintendo-wins-1...Cq0NMUlG9kdKPRI

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

Those who play with snakes shall surely be bitten. [nt] new [Re: uman]
#379542 - 11/13/18 07:22 AM

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 332 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1640