gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Dox WIP: Nightmare (E.F.O. SA, 1982) new [Re: Stiletto]
#377902 - 07/31/18 08:24 AM

>The "I AM CHUBY" train continues...

That audio output ("I AM CHUBY") will require lotsa user's imaginations of guessing what the sound would be like.....maybe almost 'discrete' (unfunny bit). Meanwhile Mazer Blazer speech (audio board) is almost as mum/silent as criminally charged P. Manafort

Anyway....congrats and kudos to both groups of: those involved in preserving the game and those that had never given up in search of the game name. Almost a Planet Probe-like miracle even though it is momentarily incomplete.

What seems unfair is while nearly everyone else has either found their game name (trying to remember game name) or maybe their long lost game is emulated.....Moose has yet to find name of two games he has been trying to find for many many years. It's as if he is being punished......maybe he stepped on some rare insect species and is being punished? Or what? I am still rooting for Moose to have success with his searches.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Dox WIP: Nightmare (E.F.O. SA, 1982) new [Re: gregf]
#377903 - 07/31/18 11:23 AM

>
> What seems unfair is while nearly everyone else has either found their game name
> (trying to remember game name) or maybe their long lost game is emulated.....Moose
> has yet to find name of two games he has been trying to find for many many years.
> It's as if he is being punished......maybe he stepped on some rare insect species and
> is being punished? Or what? I am still rooting for Moose to have success with his
> searches.

The interesting thing with the Moose stuff is that one of the things he keeps asking about is a 'Choplifter 87'

Now, lets say EFO (the makers of Night Mare, and the Magnet System) had released a version of Chop Lifter on the Magnet System. That would very likely have been dated 1987. It would also of course, have almost certainly been absolutely terrible, like all the Magnet System conversions / remakes.

Of course, there's no record of it existing for the platform, and given the platform probably didn't even make it outside of Spain, that's certainly a longshot, but the date would fit.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Dox WIP: Nightmare (E.F.O. SA, 1982) new [Re: Stiletto]
#377907 - 07/31/18 06:39 PM

> The "I AM CHUBY" train continues...
>
>
>
> More: http://slanina.pl/mame.html

Stiletto, are you chuby?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

AJR Hacker
MAME Developer
Reged: 02/01/16
Send PM

#377908 - 07/31/18 08:01 PM

> That audio output ("I AM CHUBY") will require lotsa user's imaginations of guessing
> what the sound would be like.....maybe almost 'discrete' (unfunny bit).

EFO put their own label on the speech synthesizer chip, but schematics for the sound board show it has at least the same interface as the TMS5200 and TMS5220. This particular board was also used by Playmatic's Cerberus and Spain '82 pinballs; MAME does nothing to emulate it now.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Dox WIP: Nightmare (E.F.O. SA, 1982) new [Re: Haze]
#377909 - 07/31/18 08:04 PM

>> What seems unfair is while nearly everyone else has either found their game name
>> (trying to remember game name) or maybe their long lost game is emulated.....Moose
>> has yet to find name of two games he has been trying to find for many many years.
>> It's as if he is being punished......maybe he stepped on some rare insect species and
>> is being punished? Or what? I am still rooting for Moose to have success with his
>> searches.

>The interesting thing with the Moose stuff is that one of the things he keeps asking
>about is a 'Choplifter 87'

As you probably already know it was Moose's way of describing game is similar to Sega's 1985 game, but had better graphics quality (ie advanced hardware etc.) since he believed the game was out and about in late 1980s.

One of his gameplay descriptions of the mysterious game almost fits Sauro which was out in late 1980s, but it isn't Sauro.

>Now, lets say EFO (the makers of Night Mare, and the Magnet System) had released a
>version of Chop Lifter on the Magnet System. That would very likely have been dated 1987.
>It would also of course, have almost certainly been absolutely terrible, like all the
>Magnet System conversions / remakes.

What Moose is missing is someone that does coinop history research work such as what Keith Smith is/was doing. The ideal starting place for searching would be coinop industry trade magazines for Australia/New Zealand market since there should be classified sections and advertising sections in those magazines that might have a listing such as an offer to businesses to temporarily host a trial videogame to see if it earns any money. This is assuming the company was a local startup company in Australia/New Zealand region.

If it was a product that was imported from Asian region, then a different search tactic is in order. I don't know if Australian/New Zealand laws were strict in not allowing bootleg games to be imported during 1980s. It would be funny if it turns out to be an actual bootleg product that came from either Japan or Korea.

Anyway...good luck Moose.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Dox WIP: Nightmare (E.F.O. SA, 1982) new [Re: AJR Hacker]
#377910 - 07/31/18 08:10 PM

>> That audio output ("I AM CHUBY") will require lotsa user's imaginations of guessing
>> what the sound would be like.....maybe almost 'discrete' (unfunny bit).

>EFO put their own label on the speech synthesizer chip, but schematics for the sound board
>show it has at least the same interface as the TMS5200 and TMS5220. This particular board
>was also used by Playmatic's Cerberus and Spain '82 pinballs; MAME does nothing to emulate
>it now.

Okay. I look forward to seeing the source updates once the stuff gets added. Good luck to whoever takes on emulating the speech hardware at a later time.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Dox WIP: Nightmare (E.F.O. SA, 1982) new [Re: Master O]
#377911 - 07/31/18 08:17 PM

>> The "I AM CHUBY" train continues...
>> More: http://slanina.pl/mame.html

>Stiletto, are you chuby?

For a price......former White House physician Dr. Ronnie Jackson can fudge the health physical report as being in a "healthy fit....slender and svelte shape at a consistent 239 lbs"......even when one weighs more than 400 lbs. *kidding*

We should all be so lucky if we had a physician like Dr. Ronnie Jackson willing to fudge weight numbers when having to take an annual physical for health insurance coverage.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Dox WIP: Nightmare (E.F.O. SA, 1982) new [Re: Master O]
#377938 - 08/02/18 02:17 AM

> Stiletto, are you chuby?

My girlfriend says she likes me the way I am

- Stiletto

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#377990 - 08/04/18 12:37 PM

> What Moose is missing is someone that does coinop history research work such as what
> Keith Smith is/was doing.

That's a great idea. Wonder where I could track down old industry trade magazines for Australia/New Zealand .... Hmmmm, wonder if any scans on-line for old Aussie / NZ industry mags ....

Years ago, I offered a $1,000 bounty for information about each of the machines that lead to me finding the physical machines. Whether they were for sale or not didn't really matter, I just wanted to find / see the physical machines and take photos / video. Lots of responses, but all were for the well known Lunar Lander and Choplifter or similar games / machines, not the specific games I am looking for.

> If it was a product that was imported from Asian region, then a different search
> tactic is in order. I don't know if Australian/New Zealand laws were strict in not
> allowing bootleg games to be imported during 1980s. It would be funny if it turns out
> to be an actual bootleg product that came from either Japan or Korea.

Good thinking, they could well be.

> Anyway...good luck Moose.

Thanks Greg and Haze !!

I'm still searching on the back burner. Every 3-5 years or so, I post an update on the Aussie Arcade forums:

Choplifter "1987 version"
http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/showthread.php?t=5419

"Lunar Lander on Steroids"
http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/showthread.php?t=5420

(Sorry, iirc, login / account is required. If anyone wants I will PDF the current forum pages and attach to a reply here to save you having to create an account / login).

EDIT: I don't think login / account is required, I can browse all pages without logging in.

Anyway, I'm still searching for both machines .... Getting them dumped and into MAME is my goal.

Thank you Greg and Haze for the kind words and support.

Edited by Moose (08/04/18 12:43 PM)

Moose

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 343 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1153