View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

JohnnyGalaga
Now That's Galactic Dancin'
Reged: 07/21/07
Send PM

Controller Settings Keep Resetting
#377877 - 07/30/18 01:36 AM

Every so often, the controller configuration settings I've got setup keep getting lost and reverting back to the defaults. This is with an X-Aracde on a USB plug. I can't figure why if I go into the configuration menu, general inputs, and set up each of the buttons, it loses those settings every so often. Then I hafta go in and re-do 'em all again.

Any idea what would keep causing this?

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Controller Settings Keep Resetting new [Re: JohnnyGalaga]
#377878 - 07/30/18 01:57 AM

> Every so often, the controller configuration settings I've got setup keep getting
> lost and reverting back to the defaults. This is with an X-Aracde on a USB plug. I
> can't figure why if I go into the configuration menu, general inputs, and set up each
> of the buttons, it loses those settings every so often. Then I hafta go in and re-do
> 'em all again.
>
> Any idea what would keep causing this?

Usually this is because you've unplugged it and ran MAME without it plugged in, or the controller got reassigned to another port upon reboot. The easiest way to retain your setting in such cases is to make your mappings, when use Windows to set the file as "READ ONLY" (right click -> properties and checkmark the Read-only then APPLY button. This will ensure the file doesn't get overwritten even if controllers were moved or unplugged. But, in such instances were MAME is looking for inputs that may not exist, you may encounter emulation issues. Just be warned.

There are other methods which are pretty high on the technical side which will work better, but what I mentioned above is the by far the easiest/less complex. If you are brave, there is info here:
http://docs.mamedev.org/advanced/devicemap.html?highlight=controller

JohnnyGalaga
Send PM

Re: Controller Settings Keep Resetting new [Re: Tafoid]
#377894 - 07/31/18 12:07 AM

Which file is that? I hadn't unplugged the joystick or re-booted or anything. Everytime this happens, it's suddenly for no reason out of no where.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Controller Settings Keep Resetting new [Re: JohnnyGalaga]
#377897 - 07/31/18 01:03 AM

If you're just using the same controller layout for all your games, then go to the CFG folder and set default.cfg to Read-only. If you have different settings for each game, then just set all the .cfg files to read-only that are located in the CFG folder

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

JohnnyGalaga
Send PM

Re: Controller Settings Keep Resetting new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#377899 - 07/31/18 01:23 AM

Thanks, will try that.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 397 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 425