MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Doosh
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/02/09
Send PM

Marble Man (Marble Madness 2) question
#377631 - 07/16/18 09:28 AM

How many known PCB's are there of Marble Man?

Thanks
D

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Marble Man (Marble Madness 2) question new [Re: Doosh]
#377632 - 07/16/18 11:18 AM

It's pretty rare / very rare.

According to KLOV:

Quote:

Rare - There are 2 known instances of this machine owned by Marble Madness 2 Marble Man collectors who are active members. Of these, 2 of them are original dedicated machines

Marble Madness 2 Marble Man
[url=https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8619]
https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8619[/url]

Moose

Doosh
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Marble Man (Marble Madness 2) question new [Re: Moose]
#377633 - 07/16/18 12:24 PM

> It's pretty rare / very rare.
>
> According to KLOV:
> Rare - There are 2 known instances of this machine owned by Marble Madness 2 Marble
> Man collectors who are active members. Of these, 2 of them are original dedicated
> machines
>
> Marble Madness 2 Marble Man
>
> https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8619[/url]

Hi Moose

Thank you for the reply.

Do you know who (user names) of the active members on KLOV that own the game?

D

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#377634 - 07/16/18 02:30 PM

> > It's pretty rare / very rare.
> >
> > According to KLOV:
> > Rare - There are 2 known instances of this machine owned by Marble Madness 2 Marble
> > Man collectors who are active members. Of these, 2 of them are original dedicated
> > machines
> >
> > Marble Madness 2 Marble Man
> >
> > https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8619[/url]
>
> Hi Moose
>
> Thank you for the reply.
>
> Do you know who (user names) of the active members on KLOV that own the game?

I'm not Moose, but if you follow the link at KLOV, it takes you to KLOV's VAPS:
https://www.arcade-museum.com/members/game_census.php?klov_id=8619

A few notes:
1. Just because it's listed for these users on VAPS doesn't mean they're telling the truth, some KLOV users like to lie that they own the rarest of games.

2. Assuming you're thinking about obtaining the ROMs... Obtaining rare ROMs on behalf of MAME isn't as simple as contacting the collectors who advertise that they own them on VAPS. It takes significant social skills and finesse, negotiation and trading if not also quite a lot of money.

3. If approached the wrong way, emulation fans can make the community's relationship with the collector community much, much worse from the garbage fire it is already. Simply because if enough of them are inspired to do so, then being barraged by requests becomes harrassing behavior.

Generally speaking, if this is the case, I'd advise you not to contact them and instead simply send your thoughts on obtaining rarities such as this directly to groups like The Dumping Union through Smitdogg.

- Stiletto

MrGoodwraith
Barnacle Clinging to the Ship of MAME
Reged: 10/12/05
Send PM

Re: Marble Man (Marble Madness 2) question new [Re: Stiletto]
#377637 - 07/16/18 02:43 PM

More to the point: The owner of the only verified and publicly exhibited Marble Man machine of which I am aware will not share its ROM images. This has been known for many years.

Doosh
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Marble Man (Marble Madness 2) question new [Re: Stiletto]
#377639 - 07/16/18 03:08 PM

Hi Stiletto

Thank for your reply and advice - valid points.

Probably best to leave it with the The Dumping Union to approach such rarities on such sensitive topics.

Thanks
D

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#377640 - 07/16/18 03:19 PM

If you want to approach those supposed owners on the Klov lists and you have good people skills I don't know why you shouldn't. Definitely don't expect the DU to be your future source for Marble Man (or anything). The owner of the game we know about (Scott at atarigames.com) is incredibly strong-willed and you have no chance of changing his mind so don't bother trying with him but the 2 randos, I say go for it if you actually believe them etc.

I wouldn't worry about making the collector to mame relationship worse. Life is short.

Tornadoboy
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/09/11
Loc: Massachusetts
Send PM

#377706 - 07/21/18 08:56 PM

I'm not an authority on the subject so somebody please correct me if I'm off base, but my understanding is the owner of both boards (one is the trackball version, the other the joystick) got them without the ROMs but worked out a deal with the copyright owners to get them strictly under the condition that it was just to fix his boards and not to release them.

So that said I don't think you'll get anywhere trying to talk him into releasing the ROMs, and I certainly can't fault the man for keeping his word. The same kind of thing goes with Crazy Otto too, they can't release the ROMs as much as they may want to because Namco will go after their gonads and they still get royalties for Ms. Pacman, they'd be insane to risk that by picking a fight with them. Let's just be thankful they allow the public to play them at CAX each year which is certainly something they have no obligation to do. I can only imagine the rare and long missing games are in the hands of collectors but being kept secret because they don't want the hassles?

You might have better luck talking to the actual copyright owners, even if they can't be talked into a release if they see enough interest perhaps some kind of home computer game commercial release like a "Atari Classics" kind of deal might happen, at least then we could buy it and finally see what it's like.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: Marble Man (Marble Madness 2) question new [Re: Tornadoboy]
#377712 - 07/21/18 11:48 PM

I believe the guy who created the game is the one who helped the other guy fix his board. And the guy who created the game doesn't like the things the bosses upstairs forced him to do and doesn't want the game out there in wide distribution.

Clark Kent
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/23/08
Send PM

Re: Marble Man (Marble Madness 2) question new [Re: Tornadoboy]
#379156 - 10/27/18 12:34 PM

Maybe the owner(s) of Marble Man do not consider this - but do they know if their machine gets damaged the game is lost forever? There should be at least a dump as a backup.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Marble Man (Marble Madness 2) question new [Re: Clark Kent]
#379162 - 10/27/18 06:11 PM

> Maybe the owner(s) of Marble Man do not consider this - but do they know if their
> machine gets damaged the game is lost forever? There should be at least a dump as a
> backup.

Do you honestly think that the owner is stupid enough to not have a backup of the ROM contents?

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Marble Man (Marble Madness 2) question new [Re: Clark Kent]
#379163 - 10/27/18 06:33 PM

> Maybe the owner(s) of Marble Man do not consider this - but do they know if their
> machine gets damaged the game is lost forever? There should be at least a dump as a
> backup.

This has been asked and answered multiple times over the decade-plus but: the owner has made a backup copy (or two) of the ROMs that he keeps private, using typical end-user best-known practices for data redundancy.

- Stiletto

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 468 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5259