MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Original Donkey Kong Officially Emulated for First Time?
#376880 - 06/15/18 05:34 AM

Nintendo just released the arcade version on Switch:

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1007299196674715648?s=21

Is this the first time it has been officially emulated? I know the story behind it with the lawsuit by the original coder, which is why the NES has always been considered by Nintendo to be the definitive version. As such, this release is a bit surprising.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Original Donkey Kong Officially Emulated for First Time? new [Re: Qun Mang]
#376881 - 06/15/18 06:53 AM

> Nintendo just released the arcade version on Switch:
>
> https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1007299196674715648?s=21
>
> Is this the first time it has been officially emulated? I know the story behind it
> with the lawsuit by the original coder, which is why the NES has always been
> considered by Nintendo to be the definitive version. As such, this release is a bit
> surprising.

Wasn't an emulated version of this game included in Donkey Kong 64?

fortuna_chan
Por que yo hablo español muy bien.
Reged: 06/01/08
Send PM

Re: Original Donkey Kong Officially Emulated for First Time? new [Re: Foxhack]
#376886 - 06/15/18 08:21 AM

> > Nintendo just released the arcade version on Switch:
> >
> > https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1007299196674715648?s=21
> >
> > Is this the first time it has been officially emulated? I know the story behind it
> > with the lawsuit by the original coder, which is why the NES has always been
> > considered by Nintendo to be the definitive version. As such, this release is a bit
> > surprising.
>
> Wasn't an emulated version of this game included in Donkey Kong 64?

No, the emulation in DK64 is simulation, not has the bugs and was based in the japanese version

This need time for be extracted the roms if match with the mame sets

Worluk
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/01/17
Send PM

Re: Original Donkey Kong Officially Emulated for First Time? new [Re: Foxhack]
#376887 - 06/15/18 08:22 AM

> Wasn't an emulated version of this game included in Donkey Kong 64?

No, the recreation of the arcade game in Donkey Kong 64 did not utilize the original code. It was rewritten from scratch to mimic the original.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

#376893 - 06/15/18 11:35 AM

I wonder what Nintendo are doing with the analog discrete sounds from Donkey Kong and whether they went with sound samples or simulation of the discrete audio...

smf
I've been here before
Reged: 01/16/15
Send PM

Re: Original Donkey Kong Officially Emulated for First Time? new [Re: jonwil]
#376904 - 06/15/18 08:57 PM

> I wonder what Nintendo are doing with the analog discrete sounds from Donkey Kong and
> whether they went with sound samples or simulation of the discrete audio...

The sky skipper sprite emulation is inaccurate, I doubt the donkey kong sound is any better.

JimmyU
Bustin' Heads
Reged: 12/11/07
Send PM

Re: Original Donkey Kong Officially Emulated for First Time? new [Re: jonwil]
#376905 - 06/15/18 11:06 PM

> I wonder what Nintendo are doing with the analog discrete sounds from Donkey Kong and
> whether they went with sound samples or simulation of the discrete audio...

From what I've read, it uses sound samples. Does anybody know if the company Hamster is using MAME to base their program off of or if they programmed it from scratch? I know they've released a lot of Neo Geo games for the Switch, but with that, they just need to write one emulator for all those games.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Original Donkey Kong Officially Emulated for First Time? new [Re: JimmyU]
#376906 - 06/16/18 12:22 AM

> > I wonder what Nintendo are doing with the analog discrete sounds from Donkey Kong
> and
> > whether they went with sound samples or simulation of the discrete audio...
>
> From what I've read, it uses sound samples. Does anybody know if the company Hamster
> is using MAME to base their program off of or if they programmed it from scratch? I
> know they've released a lot of Neo Geo games for the Switch, but with that, they just
> need to write one emulator for all those games.

their older PS2 stuff (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oretachi_Geasen_Zoku_Sono) was stolen MAME code afaik (from a very old version of MAME)

their newer stuff is their own code (or at least nobody has found it to be MAME)

TServo2049
Lurker
Reged: 11/24/03
Send PM

Re: Original Donkey Kong Officially Emulated for First Time? new [Re: Haze]
#376986 - 06/18/18 07:34 PM

Hamster is an enigma. There is stuff that points to MAME code being borrowed - City Connection is missing a sound effect that wasn't working due to a single line of code commented out when the driver was originally written, that was uncommented when I asked. But there are also games with some better sound emulation - City Connection doesn't have the high-end FM distortion on the Germany level's music that you heard in MAME, and Gradius supposedly has more accurate and less glitchy sound emulation as well. The world may never know...

Haze
Send PM

Re: Original Donkey Kong Officially Emulated for First Time? new [Re: TServo2049]
#376988 - 06/18/18 08:34 PM

> Hamster is an enigma. There is stuff that points to MAME code being borrowed - City
> Connection is missing a sound effect that wasn't working due to a single line of code
> commented out when the driver was originally written, that was uncommented when I
> asked. But there are also games with some better sound emulation - City Connection
> doesn't have the high-end FM distortion on the Germany level's music that you heard
> in MAME, and Gradius supposedly has more accurate and less glitchy sound emulation as
> well. The world may never know...

it's likely they're just using an earlier version of MAME given that some of these sound emulation bugs (distortion) seem to have been introduced at some point about 10 years ago.
http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=6931

but yeah, when you have things that are one-line bugs in MAME replicated exactly it's highly suspicious.

unfortunately in this case I have to concede that there have been some major regressions in MAME over the years when it comes to sound emulation as a whole which undermine a lot of the other accuracy improvements made to the emulation of the sound chips.

Haze
Send PM

#377032 - 06/20/18 05:23 PM

> Nintendo just released the arcade version on Switch:
>
> https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1007299196674715648?s=21
>
> Is this the first time it has been officially emulated? I know the story behind it
> with the lawsuit by the original coder, which is why the NES has always been
> considered by Nintendo to be the definitive version. As such, this release is a bit
> surprising.

Maybe on a home system, but the recently dumped Donkey Kong multi-game arcade looks like an emulation, or partial emulation at least, and that was a licensed product.

Will be easier to tell once we actually have a good dump tho, but even from the bad dump you can see it has "rom.z80" type stuff in there.

Given the legal dispute that's actually surprising.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 318 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1107