> Andrew Welburn dumped Fonz

MrGoodwraith
Barnacle Clinging to the Ship of MAME
Reged: 10/12/05
Send PM

Re: DU: Jumping the shark new [Re: Smitdogg]
#375857 - 04/27/18 07:30 AM

> Andrew Welburn dumped Fonz

And that'll be the first time in his long history that The Fonz has *ever* been dumped by anyone.

Thanks! Thanks, folks, I'm here all week...

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: DU: Jumping the shark new [Re: MrGoodwraith]
#375861 - 04/27/18 03:37 PM

> > Andrew Welburn dumped Fonz
>
> And that'll be the first time in his long history that The Fonz has *ever* been
> dumped by anyone.
>
> Thanks! Thanks, folks, I'm here all week...

Yeah but will it be working on MAME. (Never mind about the screen artwork. There is none. I bad.)

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: DU: Jumping the shark new [Re: Smitdogg]
#375866 - 04/27/18 05:56 PM

That girl on the flyer is so... ...so beautiful, which is really, really rare !

Any video of actual gameplay ?
I found only this :

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: DU: Jumping the shark new [Re: CTOJAH]
#375868 - 04/27/18 06:02 PM

I don't have video of it. Maybe Andy will get some. You know Fonz will get some.

I will also be here all week.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Video new [Re: Smitdogg]
#375870 - 04/27/18 08:24 PM

https://youtu.be/osmPZZkCVKM

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Video new [Re: Smitdogg]
#375871 - 04/27/18 08:49 PM

> https://youtu.be/osmPZZkCVKM

Thanks a lot !
This game is so antic, I can't believe that road (its borders) is computer generated ?!

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: DU: Jumping the shark *edit* new [Re: Smitdogg]
#375913 - 04/30/18 12:55 PM

>Andrew Welburn dumped Fonz

Thanks Andy.

2018-05-26

new not working machine
--
Fonz [Andrew Welburn, The Dumping Union]
-

Non-cpu Sega video games will be in the temporary src/mame/drivers/segattl.cpp as more roms are documented for other non-cpu Sega video games that also use roms. With Fonz being added, Fonz is only the second supported Sega brand non-cpu videogame in MAME other than the long time supported Monaco GP.

*my own 1970s era arcade hardware driving type video games anecdote*

Back in 1970s when the value of a quarter meant something then and as a kid, I was given no more than a $2.00 to play games at an arcade (no consoles, no handhelds) Fonz was one of those challenging driving games that as a young fickle kid, I would walk by and not pay attention to the game whatsoever because it did not attract my attention back then in 1970s. The only driving game I liked playing was Atari Highway because Highway was one of the few driving games I could play as kid at the time. The concept of car speed shifting stick operation for usage with arcade video games was a daunting challenge to a kid at my age range. Even if Fonz or Stunt Cycle only used throttle to control speed, it was still a challenge for a youngster at my age back then.

That's why I stuck with EM rifle games or other EM games or WG if a cab was around and also some of the wall mounted games such as Gremlin's Trapshoot.

Interesting to see the video clip of the game in action.

https://youtu.be/osmPZZkCVKM

I am guessing that without audio sounds, the audio pcb was not hooked up. iirc for the Sega non-cpu videogames, the audio pcb is a separate pcb itself and would require a main connecting board to hold the various pcbs audio pcb, video pcb etc.

Edited by gregf (05/27/18 02:11 AM)

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: DU: Jumping the shark new [Re: gregf]
#375934 - 04/30/18 11:51 PM

> I am guessing that without audio sounds, the audio pcb was not hooked up. iirc for
> the Sega non-cpu videogames, the audio pcb is a separate pcb itself and would require
> a main connecting board to hold the various pcbs audio pcb, video pcb etc.

This is stated in the description:

No audio either as this was just a pcb controlled 8-track player originally.

So... that 8-track tape needs to be found, too.

JustNiz
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/29/15
Send PM

Re: DU: Jumping the shark new [Re: Foxhack]
#375940 - 05/01/18 03:11 AM

> So... that 8-track tape needs to be found, too.

Given how 8 track players regularly eat tapes, the age and rarity of the game, and presuming the machine that this dump came from didn't already have one, the chances of finding that sounds incredibly tiny.

Edited by JustNiz (05/01/18 03:12 AM)

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: DU: Jumping the shark new [Re: JustNiz]
#375949 - 05/01/18 05:53 AM

> > So... that 8-track tape needs to be found, too.
>
> Given how 8 track players regularly eat tapes, the age and rarity of the game, and
> presuming the machine that this dump came from didn't already have one, the chances
> of finding that sounds incredibly tiny.

And yet, back in the day, people thought the DECO Cassette games would never be found... and look how many of them have been dumped since then.

There's always a chance these will turn up.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: DU: Jumping the shark new [Re: Foxhack]
#375952 - 05/01/18 10:27 AM

> > > So... that 8-track tape needs to be found, too.
> >
> > Given how 8 track players regularly eat tapes, the age and rarity of the game, and
> > presuming the machine that this dump came from didn't already have one, the chances
> > of finding that sounds incredibly tiny.
>
> And yet, back in the day, people thought the DECO Cassette games would never be
> found... and look how many of them have been dumped since then.
>
> There's always a chance these will turn up.

just as many Deco Cassettes are still MIA, especially if you count revisions / regions, or those mahjong / medal type ones.

I suspect some truly are lost forever.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: DU: Jumping the shark new [Re: JustNiz]
#375965 - 05/01/18 08:36 PM

>> So... that 8-track tape needs to be found, too.

>Given how 8 track players regularly eat tapes, the age and rarity of the game, and
>presuming the machine that this dump came from didn't already have one, the chances of
>finding that sounds incredibly tiny.

Fortunately the 8 track tape for Fonz isn't as critical compared to something such as Kee Games Quiz Show whereas the tapes for Quiz Show are actual important part of the game's operation...without them Quiz Show doesn't run...(more further down)

--
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

Thanks to recent donations we got the tapes for Kee/Atari's Quiz Show.

http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/keetape.jpg

Andy Welburn is going to dump them for us later this year (we got the original version and Rev.A) and he also has some board sets of it so he is going to dump the missing chip so the driver can be completed.
-

For Quiz Show, I believe some roms data in current driver need to be re-checked again and verified to be correct. As for tapes, there has to be some method to handle reading out the data and being able to find out which type of tape data format is being used in order to update QuizShow driver to be able to read in the data format that the 8 track tape uses. A long ways to go before Quiz Show can be made playable.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Re: DU: Jumping the shark new [Re: gregf]
#375975 - 05/02/18 12:53 AM

> >> So... that 8-track tape needs to be found, too.
>
> > Given how 8 track players regularly eat tapes, the age and rarity of the game, and
> > presuming the machine that this dump came from didn't already have one, the chances
> of
> > finding that sounds incredibly tiny.
>
> Fortunately the 8 track tape for Fonz isn't as critical compared to something such
> as Kee Games Quiz Show whereas the tapes for Quiz Show are actual important part of
> the game's operation...without them Quiz Show doesn't run...(more further down)
>

I probably shouldn't even ask given some people's feelings about faking anything, but was whatever was on the tape commercially available elsewhere, like the song on the Journey arcade game's tape? Some music from the Happy Days TV show that may be available on CD perhaps?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 207 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1474