Here's the link, enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_uf5kXH8zQ

Cheesoid
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/20/07
Send PM

Re: All new MAME 0.196 supported games new [Re: DarkMoe]
#375274 - 04/01/18 10:05 AM

Thanks for continuing to do these, they're very useful to see at a glance what's been added, especially if there was a game you used to play ages ago whose name you long since forgot!

------
Parallel Realities

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

"come on punky....get funky" *2023 edit* new [Re: DarkMoe]
#375275 - 04/01/18 11:22 AM

*kidding* If anyone has ever seen the video clip with drummer Terry Bozio screaming that quote while playing drums at same time during a Frank Zappa concert back in late 1970s performance of song Punky's Whips from Frank Zappa's Baby Snakes album tour it is worthwhile to see Terry's antics while he was playing drums at the time. Terry could play drums and be comical at same time.

Reason mentioning that quote is because when originally seeing the Casio RZ1 first supported in MAME in 2018, the emulation was darn good then. It has improved in 2022.

A couple of 2022 updates for Casio RZ-1

Duke 09/28/22 07:11 PM
tape support

https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=121398#Post121398

Duke 10/12/22 03:52 PM

MIDI support

https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=121451#Post121451

MAME Showcase Casio RZ-1: MIDI Input/Output

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E00IUkwojso

The ultimate is have MAME be able to handle all three kits at same time if even possible: Casio RZ1 + Roland TB303 + Roland TR606 ACID HOUSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnXeE6_SkyY

Someone else does a lot of detailed talking about the Casio RZ1 unit and some of its capabilities, but doesn't provide a useful example of how to input settings....but he does provide a decent track at end of the videoclip. https://youtu.be/BuLP3gT9Vj8?t=736

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuLP3gT9Vj8

For future feeble unfunny comedy fodder material, I dare someone to wander into say next CA Extreme show event carrying a laptop/notebook with MAME running Casio RZ1 emulation and having volume at full blast with some drum track sample being played just to get reactions.

Edited by gregf (05/22/23 08:50 AM)

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Gal's Panic II is missing !? new [Re: DarkMoe]
#375276 - 04/01/18 12:30 PM

Thank You !
...oh, wait... ...Where is Gal's Panic II ?
- It's playable now

DarkMoe
Lurker
Reged: 11/26/03
Send PM

Re: Gal's Panic II is missing !? new [Re: CTOJAH]
#375277 - 04/01/18 01:16 PM

I include what's listed on the whatsnew (not sure if you're joking or not)

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

Re: "come on punky....get funky" ... new [Re: gregf]
#375278 - 04/01/18 01:30 PM

Quite right about the RZ1! Glad I'm not the only one pleasantly surpised to see this working in MAME. It was/is a beautiful beastie.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Gal's Panic II is missing !? new [Re: DarkMoe]
#375281 - 04/01/18 04:33 PM

> I include what's listed on the whatsnew (not sure if you're joking or not)

I read somewhere on the net about decapping the Kaneko protection MCU with its internal rom, so I immediately reminded myself of those girlies in Kaneko's famous series...

P.S. I know that today is April 1st, but no pun intended.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

music systems new [Re: Shoegazr]
#375300 - 04/02/18 10:24 AM

>Quite right about the RZ1! It was/is a beautiful beastie.

Not my area, primarily drums myself, but I used to hear praises from some musicians for some of the Casio 1980s era stuff being better quality made. I didn't really pay attention to what items though. Only non-drum item, I knew what the high praises were for was DX-7 ....all the other items could have acronyms etc. and I wouldn't know what instrument it was for compared to Zildjian cymbals or Paiste cymbals.....now there...I knew my stuff. ;-)

>Glad I'm not the only one pleasantly surpised to see this working in MAME.

I am really impressed that this is considered up and running even though there is still a to-do list.

-
src/mame/drivers/rz1.cpp

Casio RZ-1

Sampling drum machine

Sound ROM info:

Each ROM chip holds 1.49s of sounds and can be opened as raw
PCM data: signed 8-bit, mono, 20,000 Hz.

* Sound A: Toms 1~3, Kick, Snare, Rimshot, Closed Hi-Hat, Open Hi-Hat,
and Metronome Click (in that order).

* Sound B: Clap, Ride, Cowbell, and Crash (in that order).

Note: Holding EDIT/RECORD, DELETE, INSERT/AUTO-COMPENSATE and
CHAIN/BEAT at startup causes the system to go into a RAM test.

TODO:
- Metronome
- MIDI
- Cassette
- Audio input
-

A couple status of other equipment still wip. The TB-303 in working shape would be my thing.....but so would a working Konami Drum Mania is also what I am hoping to see.

-
src/mame/drivers/cz101.cpp

Casio CZ-101

Digital Synthesizer

TODO:
- To get the display to show something, our uPD7810 core needs to
output the full port value even if the port is set as input (port a).
- Currently seems to hang while processing the serial ports (midi). Our
uPD7810 core is lacking the externally clocked serial mode.

-
src/mame/drivers/tb303.cpp

** subclass of hh_ucom4_state (includes/hh_ucom4.h, drivers/hh_ucom4.cpp) **

Roland TB-303 Bass Line, 1982, designed by Tadao Kikumoto
* NEC uCOM-43 MCU, labeled D650C 133
* 3*uPD444C 1024x4 Static CMOS SRAM
* board is packed with discrete components

TODO:
- still too much to list here

-

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Send PM

Re: music systems new [Re: gregf]
#375324 - 04/02/18 11:08 PM

> > Quite right about the RZ1! It was/is a beautiful beastie.
>
> Not my area, primarily drums myself, but I used to hear praises from some musicians
> for some of the Casio 1980s era stuff being better quality made. I didn't really pay
> attention to what items though. Only non-drum item, I knew what the high praises were
> for was DX-7 ....all the other items could have acronyms etc. and I wouldn't know
> what instrument it was for compared to Zildjian cymbals or Paiste cymbals.....now
> there...I knew my stuff. ;-)

Nice! I totally agree that Casio made some solid stuff back then. The RZ-1 wasn't exactly commonplace in dreampop or shoegaze music but it's nice at least to noodle around with concept stuff or if you're in a tight space with no real studio or immediate access to a drummer. Playing around with it especially within a MAME context is hella neat and it just makes me miss those days even more.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: music systems new [Re: Shoegazr]
#375355 - 04/03/18 08:56 PM

>I totally agree that Casio made some solid stuff back then.

1980s production years...true, but as from long ago comments I recall hearing the 1990s stuff went downhill and this person also states same opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuLP3gT9Vj8

>it's nice at least to noodle around with concept stuff or if you're in a tight space with
>no real studio or immediate access to a drummer.

Yep. It allowed some experimenting for music writers to have something and show it to a drummer asking: Can the groove be played this way? Compared to say where Frank Zappa would have all music scores for every instrument composed ahead of schedule and when musicians show up for rehearsal with Frank....the demand would be..."it will be played this way....no exceptions."

>Playing around with it especially within a MAME context is hella neat and it just makes
>me miss those days even more.

I hope TB 303 system can be eventually emulated. I am glad Casio RZ-1 is a start. I forgot that Alesis drum system is also emulated. I haven't looked to see if it is fully emulated.

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Send PM

Re: music systems new [Re: gregf]
#375360 - 04/03/18 11:06 PM

> > it's nice at least to noodle around with concept stuff or if you're in a tight space
> with
> > no real studio or immediate access to a drummer.
>
> Yep. It allowed some experimenting for music writers to have something and show it
> to a drummer asking: Can the groove be played this way? Compared to say where Frank
> Zappa would have all music scores for every instrument composed ahead of schedule and
> when musicians show up for rehearsal with Frank....the demand would be..."it will be
> played this way....no exceptions."

Ah Frank, how I miss that guy. I assume you mean the session musicians who backed his solo work but I wonder if he was ever like that with the Mothers..

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 213 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1358