MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Opinions on this for an arcade style controller
#375096 - 03/25/18 10:46 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Quimat-Joystick-C...ntrols&th=1

"Arcade".... well, maybe not exactly like an arcade, but as far as functionality goes.... Would anyone have any experience with this (style) of hardware?

From the reviews, the buttons seem like they'd be more sensitive and not requiring as much of a 'plunge' like normal arcade buttons with cherry switches. I think I'll be okay with that.

As for the stick?... How that feels and controls might be what seals or breaks the deal.

"Why not just get actual arcade (like) hardware instead, Tomu?"

Well, a few things. 1st, I'd like something with more of a low / thin profile (It'd also make the housing for the controls be lighter). And 2nd, it matches the "color" scheme I have going with my gaming rig. And the price is nice.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (03/25/18 10:47 AM)

LEVEL-4

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

I can tell you this.... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#375128 - 03/26/18 10:36 PM

I ordered a similar kit from xsource on amazon. They’re probably all made by the same Chinese manufacturer. The joystick is awful. Can’t play Street Fighter worth a damn on it. Doesn’t play 4-way games too hot either. My old X-Arcade solo was much better in both regards and the joystick in that wasn’t anything to write home about....

Buttons will get the job done.

Just buy a real Sanwa joystick and be done with it. It’ll cost $25 just for the stick, but you’ll be happier in the end.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005BIC9Q...&ref=plSrch

Problem is you’ll need to get a female to femail 5-pin adapter as the one that comes with the Sanwa is for iPac type encoders. I guess you could still use it if you’re able to put the pins on yourself....

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: I can tell you this.... new [Re: DiodeDude]
#375136 - 03/27/18 07:14 AM

> I ordered a similar kit from xsource on amazon. They’re probably all made by the same
> Chinese manufacturer. The joystick is awful. Can’t play Street Fighter worth a damn
> on it. Doesn’t play 4-way games too hot either. My old X-Arcade solo was much better
> in both regards and the joystick in that wasn’t anything to write home about....
>
> Buttons will get the job done.
>
> Just buy a real Sanwa joystick and be done with it. It’ll cost $25 just for the
> stick, but you’ll be happier in the end.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005BIC9Q...&ref=plSrch
>
> Problem is you’ll need to get a female to femail 5-pin adapter as the one that comes
> with the Sanwa is for iPac type encoders. I guess you could still use it if you’re
> able to put the pins on yourself....

Thanks for the info and suggestion.

I already went ahead and ordered it (before I seen this reply). I guess I can see how it (the stick) handles, then go from there.....

LEVEL-4

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: I can tell you this.... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#375138 - 03/27/18 09:04 AM

Good luck

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

I bought this due to SF 30th Anniversary... new [Re: DiodeDude]
#375239 - 03/30/18 10:31 PM

Which should be released on Steam in April or May...

I made a mock-up of the layout for most of the buttons with a cardboard box. The stick seems to feel right, but I still haven't tested it on a game yet. There are 2 more buttons I haven't decided on where I will place them. It will either be 2 on the right side in a general line with the other buttons, or 1 button on both sides kind of in between both top and bottom rows of buttons. I'm curious as to what the games button settings will be by default.

LEVEL-4

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: I bought this due to SF 30th Anniversary... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#375254 - 03/31/18 04:21 AM

I plan on buying it as well. Not really sure why though. I’ve bought/rebought these games for so many different platforms....

Was pretty bummed when I found out they left out pocket fighter and using the inferior version of Alpha 3.

As for the stick, I hope yours turns out to be a good one. Mine feels good, but just doesn’t perform. I’ve got a real Sanwa that I haven’t had time to install yet but just by working the stick, I can tell it’s going to be much better. No where near the travel distance.

Also have an IL Industries Eurostick waiting on fightstick 2.0. That one I plan on making from scratch outta wood. This Acrylic case is too small to rest my palms on and the button layout forces my hand in an awkward position.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Any updates? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#375585 - 04/12/18 12:01 AM

Curious as to your experience with the joystick has been?

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Any updates? new [Re: DiodeDude]
#375624 - 04/15/18 08:33 AM

> Curious as to your experience with the joystick has been?

Right, sorry. With the cardboard mock-up / layout test, I hooked it up to my laptop (which I do have MAME on) and played SFII Championship Edition. Very responsive and the moves were easy to do... Even a Dragon Punch towards the left. I can't say I did it 100% of the time, but that might be due to me being rusty.

I've already drilled and routed the holes for the buttons (and stick) in some 1/4" thick white acrylic sheet. I was going to buy a $10.00 sheet of white glossy vinyl sheet to stick onto it (that's 1ft by 5ft, which is more than I'll need), but I think I'll go with white glossy spray paint instead. I just hope it doesn't peel off.

I'd hate to say I'll post a pic after I have the controller all put together ("promises, promises" ), but I'll try.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (04/15/18 08:35 AM)

LEVEL-4

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Any updates? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#375646 - 04/16/18 03:11 AM

Glad it seems to be working. Perhaps I got a dud. I was actually going to order an oversized actuator and heavier spring to see if I could tighten up the stick a bit.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1054